“Highly recommend”

Ranked #7 of 75 Restaurants in Kinsale
Cuisines: French, Irish, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Max's Seafood Restaurant in Kinsale was established in 1978 and serves a wide array of carefully crafted seafood dishes by resident head chef and owner Olivier Queva. Early Bird menu available, daily specials, and the best array of fine wines and local cheese. Situated in the heart of Kinsale in West Cork and simply, a great place to eat!
Reviewed August 2, 2013

A trip to Kinsale would not be complete without a visit to Max's wine bar. A place where you will find creative food combinations and a well thought-out wine list - I high recommend swinging by.The vibe in the wine bar was relaxed, friendly and professional. The lovely Annemarie( owner) has a special gift for making people feel at home in her restaurant, and I will certainly be going back.

There are newer reviews for Max's

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We are from Portland, Oregon and are used to some excellent restaurants. We we had heard that some of the better restaurants in Ireland are in Kinsale and were looking forward to some great Irish food. I might add that we were famished after a long day. It was cool out and Max's offered us a table next to the fireplace. So the ambiance swayed us as well as the food. The lamb was excellent with an interesting with a cascade of farm and Mediterranean flavors. My wife's cod was perfectly cooked, moist and not fishy at all. Anne Marie served us and was an absolute delight. Even though we were early in the season the place was busy and Anne Marie kept everyone happy. Wine selection was very good and interesting.

Much better food and nicer atmosphere than Fishey Fishey.

1  Thank Brucejmac
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I loved Max's. We were so lucky to get a table as we were very last minute and were fortunate enough to arrive just in time to book for later. We were asked if we would mind finishing by 9 and we were just delighted to get somewhere that had such a good reputation. We had an unhurried and relaxed meal in a restaurant that is busy but with tables comfortably spaced so you have no sense of people in your space. The staff were terrific. They do not fuss and are not feigning interest in you. They engage at just the right level and the atmosphere in the place is just perfect. I cannot praise the food highly enough. It was fresh, and packed with flavour. My squid looked nothing like I expected and the flavours of leek and chorizo with it made it taste like a new dish to me. A main course of pork belly rivalled with my friend's choice of ling and we were both completely happy with our food. I do not normally take desserts but I had to try one here. I chose sticky toffee pudding and my friend, a strawberry and icecream dish. Neither sound marvelous but in the hands of Max's they were superb. It was good value too and the wine list very extensive and not outrageously priced. This is a great restaurant and one to go back to again and again. A friend of mine who lives locally knows I am fussy, she was worried I might not enjoy it as much as she does. She was so wrong. I met other people I knew there and I understand well why this is a favourite. It has good food, value for money and a relaxed atmosphere with great staff and hosted by a very warm host, Anne Marie.

1  Thank Colm104
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Great staff, informative and friendly. Interesting menu with unusual flavour combinations. Well priced wine selection. Informal but congenial ambiance. Unique and highly recommended.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Arrived early in the evening to Max's with our three small kids to be told that they could not fit us in for a quick bite to eat even though there was only 4 other diners in the restaurant. It was obivous that the presence of the kids was the problem. Very disapointed with the attitude

2  Thank Eoin B