“Hidden Gem”
Review of The R Cafe

The R Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: "From Breakfast at 9 am with eggs Benedict,Omelette or Pancakes, homemade Scones(coeliac friendly, fruit or plain)to Lunch from 12 pm.
Cork
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I visited this hidden gem today and it won't be long untl I visit again.

I ordered the lamb stuffed with morels and black pudding (Clonakilty) sitting on a bed of well flavoured lentils - it's a long time since I have enjoyed such a stunning dish. This chef really knows about flavours and is enthusiastic about sharing his knowledge and skills with others .He offers workshops for families and individuals and also encourages local students to use the restaurant in the hope of developing their palates.
We eat in the friendly and relaxed atmosphere of the cafe whilst an ajoining room/bar offered an intimate and unpretentious setting.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank ValB_11

Rosscarbery, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“R Cafe”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stopped by for a coffee twice. The sign said it was Illy coffee which is my favourite. It definitely was not Illy coffee, and on my second visit when I asked what the coffee I was told it was a local variety not Illy, despite the sign still in place. Not impressed with these shenanigans! Will not be returning.

• Visited May 2012
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Fantastic quality food in Clon, whether for lunch or Dinner”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I've family in Clonakilty and make sure I visit two or three times a year, when I do a bite here is always on the to do list.

The menu is great, varied, but not pretentious - the quality of the food is excellent, and the prices are within the range you'd call fair when the quality and service is considered (this isn't a cheap place to eat, but you won't feel robbed after your meal!)

Amazing cakes and breads and gluten free options also make this a very handy place to know about.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Sean D
Rotherham
“Fab”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Brilliant little place, some of the best food in Clonakilty and can't wait to take friends there and show it off. Simon the server was very obliging, whatever he is being paid isn't enough, very witty, helpful and not in your face all the time. The attention to detail regarding the food is exceptional and you don't get the "usual" veg i.e. carrots & broccoli. Great selection of wine. I can't praise this place enough, even the owner who I think is Welsh was a nice guy and came to our table to ask if everything was OK and was there anything else we wanted.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank philnzena
Moscow, Russia
“Friendly Staff & Great Food”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We loved the little family nook with chalkboard and coloring books for the little ones. For the bigger ones the menu was first rate and well executed. Local chowder was excellent! Fresh soda bread cut right in front of us...delicious! No trouble at all with special requests for our finicky kids (no sauce on the penne, gravy not touching the mash, etc.). The cafe had a grab 'n go section. The food was the focus and any drinks a secondary concern (we had soda pop from cans instead of a fountain). The owner even gave us directions to a hard-to-locate stone circle nearby. Very positive experience!

• Visited August 2012