“Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa - not all its cracked up to be”

Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Reviewed September 4, 2010

I recently spent 3 days at the Inchydoney. Without going into immense details i was less than enamoured with the whole experience.

I went to the Spa everyday and I found the staff and the facilities second to none. The swimming pool is fresh seawater and will do wonders for your skin. I was travelling with my 6 year old daughter and went out with friends on the Friday night. The hotel arranged a babysitter for me who was highly qualified, no nonsense and who my daughter liked immediately. It is not an exactly child friendly hotel and that is acceptable to me, but the swim times for the kids are limited to two sessions in the day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Most of the kids are all out on the beaches and if it was raining I would say that there would be more people in the pool. So I could live with that.

I have to say that my room was lovely, and just going to sleep with the roll of the waves, was wonderful. The balcony is high enough that the kids could not climb over it. I was concerned as we were on the 4th floor. There is no ironing board in the room, nor is there a kettle, although you are given a selection of teas. So you have to ask housekeeping for that. There a flat screen T.V's in the room with a DVD player, you can receive complimentary dvd's from reception, there is also a small selection for the kids.

Much and all as the place in general is to a high standard, there are little things that should have been addressed in the hotel and I brought these to the attention of the staff, I was glad to see that they were rectified almost immediately. I think that the only saving grace for me was my experience in the Spa of which I was grateful to the staff as I had to drag my 6 year old with me.

Everyone has different standards and expectations of what a break-away should mean to them. Would I recommentd this hotel to a friend? Well; I would have to tell them of my real experience there, and let them make up there own mind.

I

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Inchydoney, Manager at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2010

Thank you for your recent feedback.

We are sorry to read that Inchydoney Island Lodge and Spa didnt meet your expectations. I would like to thank you for positive comments regarding many areas of the hotel. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed many aspects of the stay and that our staff were helpful in resolving the issues you highlighted to them.

Marketing Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,191)

Reviewed September 1, 2010

We stayed in Inchydoney on a two night mid week break, even though one of the nights was the Sunday of the bank holiday, we still got mid week rate. When we were trying to decide where to go I also looked up getaway breaks run through a national supermarket. Initially the Inchydoney break seemed a little out of our price range, but when I rang to see about booking the lady I dealt with was very nice and after a little 'poor me getting away from a one year old, can you do anything for me' she threw in a seawater and seaweed treatment for both myself and my husband - this then actually made the break more competitive and special.
The staff were so friendly and helpful ,a comfortable mix of local and international expertise. The rooms were beautiful in a boutique way and the nespresso machine made great coffee. Just relaxing in the room with the balcony door open listening to the sea was even enjoyable. I loved that there was different fresh fruit along the corridors each day.
One thing I found exceptionally impressive was the restaurant. We have done quite a number of 2nights b&b +dinner offers and normally when you arrive at the restaurant, you are given a scaled down version of the ala carte menu once they see you're on an 'offer', this can be very scaled down and disappointing. Not only did we get full menu options - which were sublime, but we arrived down slightly early and said that we'd like to have a drink in the residents lounge first. This was no problem and they said that they'd bring us out the menu and some canapés while we were there. The canapés were to die for - scallops, succulent steak, savoury tartlets and prawn crackers, and we weren't charged a penny extra for them. We ate in the bar the second night and it was perfect too, chunky tasty bar food and the atmosphere was a little livelier which we wanted.
We walked on the beach, used the pool and thalasto.... facilities and really wound down.
We came away wondering why it wasn't 5 star, why isn't it 5 star? We're definitely going back, it was exactly what we wanted.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank your for your wonderful review. We are delighted to read so many positive comments and see that you really enjoyed your time with us. Dinner certainly is a treat in the Gulfstream Restaurant, delighted you enjoyed it too.

We hope to see you again soon in Inchydoney,

Reviewed September 1, 2010

Just returned from a beautiful relaxing weekend at Inchydoney. The staff were really friendly and helpful. The hotel is tastefully decorated and the bedrooms have been recently renovated and are so luxurous. We ate both in the restaurant and the bar and the food in both was excellent. The breakfast was also fantastic, such an amazing selection of food and the view from the breakfast table was breathtaking.

Had a walk on the beech which was fantastic and then went to the leisure centre for a lovely swim in the seawater swimming pool - it was so nice to swim in seawater rather than the usual smell of chlorine.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable stay and could not rate this highly enough. Enjoy!!!

Dear FionaMary

Thank you for your lovely comments. Its great to hear that you enjoyed your visit. We just love our seawater pool too! We hope you find the time to come and see us again soon.

Reviewed September 1, 2010

A fantastic weekend break.
We decided to head back to Inchydoney for a weekend last month, and it really is still a fantastic experience. And this time the days were even longer to enjoy the views.
The cliffside views of the beaches and the sea are fantastic.
The breakfast is amazing. a huge varitey and the quality is outstanding. Didn't need to eat again until well into the afternoon.
Has to be one of the best hotels I've stayed in (maybe after the Maldives...)

Reviewed August 30, 2010

after receiving a gift voucher for this hotel , to include a two night stay we decided to go last weekend , we were joined by friends , when we first arrived we got a pleasnt greeting , it was down hill from here , i had asked for a junior suite , we were but in a room over looking the park and main entrance not the view we had expected , then we decided to go and use the spa facilties , when we went down we were horrified to see what was on offer havent seen amazing images on the website , butlins would be the best to describe it . that night there was live music on i must say that was enjoyable all except ro the kids running circles around you , the next morning arriving down for breakfeast we were seated at the window , it was like sitting in a green house the heat was very uncomfortable and totally ruined our breakfeast , the quality of the food i would have to say is the worst i ever tasted and ive been to a lot of hotels , the sausages i have never tasted anything as bad . that day we went for a walk which was the only relaxing part of our break , when w3e returned there was a wedding party as well as the general public sitting on the wall of the bar smoking cigarettes , totally ruining the look of the hotel , upon check out we recieved our bill for 300 euro whicjh would bring our total bill to nearly €1000 , on our bill it had in small text newspaper ? when i asked the receptionist what this was for she replied sorry sure i will take that off your bill , so then rudly the manager interupted and said sir that was for the paper you were given upon arrival . lets just say that was the last straw , the best way to describe this hotel is a maldron type hotel with a view , i wont be back and will do my very best to stop anyone i know going

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
6  Thank ryanfixco
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2010

Dear ryanfixco

I am very disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay at Inchydoney Island Lodge and Spa. As you are aware we went to great lengths to ensure prior to and during your stay that you were accommodated. I am sorry that our efforts were in vain.

I take your specific comments on board and will discuss with the team here ways we can improve. In particular, while we very much restrict the hours when children have access to the seawater pool and manage them while they are there, we will review any improvements which will make it a more enjoyable experience for everyone.

I would like to point out that one of the two rooms you had booked and paid for was a Junior Suite as agreed. The bill you refer to of €1000, included the accommodation in both rooms as well as a number of other services availed of during the stay.

Again, I feel that our team went over and above to accommodate you and your guests before and during your stay. If we had been made aware of your issues, we would have attempted to resolve them while you were here. I understand you were not satisfied with your experience and we will try to improve on the areas you have identified.

Thank you for your feedback.

Des O'Dowd
Proprietor
Inchydoney Island Lodge and Spa

Reviewed August 24, 2010

My partner and i arrived on a friday evening we were checking in for 2 nights , on arrival we were Welcomed by a lovely receptionist (male) very friendly , then a gentleman helped us bring our bags up to our Room. We got a beatuiful room over looking the beach , Room was cozey & spotless .
We went down to the Bar that evening to order some food the Menu wasnt great at all & waiting staff werent friendly at all . we enjoyed a few drinks at the bar & there was also a band that night so there was at bit of atmosphire there .
Breakfast the Next Morning was out of this world and as for the Breakfast room what can i say out of this world the view of the Beach was amazing . I found the Restaturant Menu very expensive so we went down to the bar they had the same Menu on for Lunch as they had for Evening so we went out of the hotel for Dinner the second night
I think the Hotel is Beautiful but its not worth the Prices they are charging for a 2 night B&B . and the Bar Food is tacky .

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank murtydil
Reviewed August 21, 2010

There were kids totally out of control in the restaurant the first night,screaming constantly and running around,throwing food and climbing up on the windowsills.Food was way overpriced for very little..a small piece of fish costing me 32 euro and 11 euro for 2 small pieces of brown bread and a small bit of smoked salmon on each.The lounge upstairs was very nice and Cian,the waiter, was a gentleman.However,the breakfast manageress was gruff and impolite and reluctant to move us out of the glaring sun, as was the manageress downstairs on our departure, who questioned our integrity even though we had assured her that we had already paid for dinner.We were made feel as though we were lying!!Very disappointing..a pity because most of the young staff were lovely.I feel its very dated and living off an old reputation.Not relaxing and not worth the money.Avoid.

6  Thank seanie37
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonakilty
Dunmore House Hotel
#5 of 8 in Clonakilty
Celtic Ross Hotel
Celtic Ross Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rosscarbery

Been to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!