“An Overpriced Run Down Eye Sore”

Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Dublin
“An Overpriced Run Down Eye Sore”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2008

Firstly, how did this hotel get planning permission to build such an eye sore in such a beautiful place?

We got a 2 night break at this establishment as a wedding present, the cost excluding dinner was in excess of €800 - what one gets for their money is best described as a RIP - OFF.

Check in is slow.

The rooms, which have been recently renovated are good, with great views along the shoreline.

The fitness centre and spa is run down, for example cracked tiles, dampness throughout and broken lockers.

One redeeming factor is that the food served in the restaurant is to a very high standard, we ate fish on both evenings and it was fresh.

On a funny note, when we arrived on the Saturday they were preparing for a wedding. The red carpet was laid out, which was toren and had holes in it - how bad is that?

In conclusion the location of this hotel is fantastic, the hotel ruins the landscape and the price is akin to theft. If you are prepared to spend €1,000 on going away for the weekend go to Ashford Castle and avoid this place.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Price, run down nature of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fego

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2008

This hotel commands a spectacular location. The beaches are stunning, even in the August rain! Breakfast in the dining room is lovely, offering a good spread and gorgeous views. The Dunes Bistro, very popular with young families, offers a more casual atmosphere, serving generous portions matched with good service. After dinner The Lounge is a great spot to relax by a burning fire while sipping a liquor. Our room was clean and comfortable, though try to get one that does not overlook the entrance lobby if you want some privacy. The staff were kind and helpful. A very pleasant experience.

• Liked — The beach setting
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2008

We had been here three times before but the last time we were there (2 years ago) we were disappointed as the hotel had gotten really shabby. We heard the hotel had been revamped so decided to give it another try.

The location of this hotel is amazing, sitting between two blue flag beaches and all rooms promising sea views. The revamp has included an addition of balconies to all rooms and they really do work. It is just lovely sitting out on the balcony looking out at the fabulous views, it really makes the room feel much bigger. The room itself is very comfortable and the decor is pleasant. The bed was really comfortable.

The bathroom had not been revamped and was pretty grotty but apparently they are getting around to this. We had no hot water on the first night of our stay and called housekeeping who came up to check it but they never came back - we got no apology and we were just ignored. I found this rather odd.

The spa in this hotel is lovely. The pool is sea water which is really lovely. I had a facial which was fabulous (a bit expensive but a lovely treat).

The food in the restaurant was really good and despite our poor experience with housekeeping and the grotty bathroom I would go back.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2008

Stayed here for one night very recenty while on business in the area. I have stayed in this hotel a few times for leisure since it opened and while the earlier visits impressed I have found that each subsequent visit has not lived up to the previous. The bedroom makeovers are good and the balconies add a nice touch. However, much of the public areas of the hotel still await revamping.

Overall this is a nice hotel in a fantastic location - however, it is much overpriced. I have three different nights to spend in the area over the coming month. I decided to pick this hotel for the first visit but cannot justify the cost for the other nights. I called a number of times to see if they would better the rate nearer the stay but no better offer - this amazed me because there was only about 10 guests in the hotel on that night. In fact there was more staff that guests! I would certainly stay again if the rate was more realistic.

Stayed October 2008
Munster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2008

My partner and I stayed in a two-bedroom holiday apartment for 4 nights beginning on the second Sunday in September. I admit I had been a bit hesitant about booking the apartment as opposed to a hotel room as I thought I would be missing out on some of the luxury factor. Finances dictated however that the apartment was more feasible as at not far off €400 euro a night a four night stay in the hotel would have been more than exorbitant (the apartment cost €500 for the four nights). I was very pleasantly surprised to find a bottle of wine waiting for us on arrival at the apartment and also at what a very nice apartment it was – nice touches such as chocolates on the pillows etc. We had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, sitting room and kitchen all to ourselves and as the apartment was more or less right on the beach, the views were spectacular – I daresay we had a better view from our 2nd floor apartment than lots had from the hotel rooms. We enjoyed the Thalassotherapy pool every day which was very refreshing and more than once dozed in the fantastically relaxing upstairs residents lounge. Breakfasts were delightful overlooking the ocean and the variety of food at breakfast was vast and very fresh – should suit everyones taste – and at €17 per person was very reasonable when you compare it to other establishments, more than worth the treat every day. I have to say that we didn’t dine in the Gulfstream restaurant as we both found the menu to be too fussy and not to our liking – each to their own! We ate a couple of times in Dunes bar downstairs which was nice but I have to say I was disappointed to find that in the afternoon we couldn’t get a toasted sandwich which I find amazing as in any bar I’ve ever been to the toasted sandwich is a stalwart feature! About the only bad thing I can say about our stay is that had I paid the bones of €400 a night to stay in the hotel I would have felt a bit hard done by on seeing the downstairs bar area which, though overseen fantastically by the staff there, came across as a bit dingy and dare I say it – a tad dirty, a lot of those horrible small flies buzzing around! Aside from that, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely return! We were blessed with the best weather of the summer but I’d imagine that the views here would not be diminished too much by our usual murky weather! Very very beautiful part of the world….

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2008

Confusing hotel with some very good bits and weaker bits - if you are expecting a very high end upper 4-star/5-star luxury spa, you will probably be disappointed and can find better in Ireland.

The good bits:

1. Beautiful location and huge beach with surfing.

2. Rooms have been done up to a decent 4-star standard (would not rank as 5 star).

3. Very spacious hotel with generous common areas (lovely 1st floor guest area)

4. Good pool and spa - very family orientated

The weaker bits:

1. Property looks like a block of apartments (i.e., you won't be in awe driving up the approach road) - pity given the amazing location that they did not build somthing more tasteful.

2. There is a very large passing trade for people/families who use the beach and swamp the bar/restaurant on the gound floor (feels more like Butlins)

3. Fit-out is good but not particulary tasteful - particularly to a more discerning traveller

4. Bit of a food smell pervades the corridors and common areas.

• Liked — Location and beach
  • Disliked — Very busy - not an exclusive spa feel
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank A T
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2008

This is a truly fantastic hotel. The staff were excellent and really friendly from the minute we arrived until the minute we left, the decor in the rooms was gorgeous, the balconies overlooking the sea are a really nice touch, it's so nice to step out in the morning and smell the fresh sea air. Loads of nice little touches in the room which really made the holiday. Rooms were spotlessly clean as well.

The spa is fantastic, well worth the money, and the treatments are very professional and relaxing. I'm really not a spa person but I loved it here, especially the 'relaxation room' where you wait for your treatments with complimentary juice, coffee, herbal teas, fruit etc. Again little touches make the difference. A little tip - ring up and book your treatments in advance, I wanted one which was unfortunately unavailable when I asked in the morning. Had I booked it a couple of days before I would have been alright.

The hydrotherapy pool, steam room and sauna are open to all guests for unlimited use and they are all fantastic - the hydrotherapy pool uses heated and treated sea water and it's easily the most relaxing pool I've ever been in!

We only dined in the Dunes bar but the food was delicious and the staff were friendly even though it was busy, service was a tad slow but the staff were extremely apologetic and the atmosphere was nice. Nice to sit outside as well and eat with a view of the Atlantic. Breakfast in the Gulfstream restaurant was gorgeous, lots of choice and really delicious food, good mix of hot and cold.

Overall this hotel really does have a "resort" feel about it - it is in a remote location, and we didn't have a car, but the hotel was so nice we were content to spend all our time there! The location astride two gorgeous blue flag beaches is perhaps one of the hotel's most stunning features and it makes it such an ideal place for a 'get away' break.

All in all I really can't recommend this hotel enough, we can't wait to go back. It far exceeded both of our expectations and we've been recommending it to all our friends!

• Liked — Great service, great atmosphere, wonderful rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BY291B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonakilty
Dunmore House Hotel
Macdonald Kinsale Hotel & Spa
Celtic Ross Hotel
Celtic Ross Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rosscarbery

Been to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!