“Lovely location and staff very nice, but missing out on a proper 4 star experience”

Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stayed here for a Saturday night in one of the superior rooms (ocean view). Amazing location, certainly a strong point for the hotel. The staff were all friendly and helpful, I really felt welcome during my stay. Had food in the residents bar for dinner, however, and this was well below average. The menu wasn't very expansive or interesting (in terms of main courses). The seafood pasta dish was tasteless and my partner didn't finish it, whereas the steak sandwich was overwhelmed by the cheese and the chips were also tasteless. Probably the low point of our stay. I should note that we did not try the proper restaurant and that this may well be better, based on the views of other reviewers. Breakfast the next day was nice but quite busy. Some other minor issues - the knob that was used to swap the water from the tap to the shower was broken in both my and my friend's room, and in general the decor in the hotel rooms was surprisingly old-fashioned (to my tastes) and very dark for rooms that are all about letting in the light from the amazing view. Long story short, I would not count the rooms and food that I had to be at 4 star status, closer to 3 star, whereas the prices were certainly at 4 star levels.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank drcdavenport
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear drcdavenport

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa. I believe our Deputy General Manager Catriona tried to contact you a few times to discuss your experiences during your stay. I'd be most grateful if we could have a chat about your comments. Catriona can be contacted at the hotel on 023 88 33 143.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Kindest regards,
Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Reviewed March 21, 2014

My huband and I had a wonderful 2 day break here last weekend. The service, staff ( very attentive, professional , well-mannered, and great to see so many young, Irish people doing an amazing job in every role), food, room and the overall visit was memorable. Food quality was excellent & presentation was impressive - the good weather was also a bonus ! We couldn't have asked for a better destination to celebrate our special occasion. I would gladly recommend a stay here for a relaxing and stress-free getaway.

Mai

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Mai H

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your stay here at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa. I'm delighted to see you enjoyed every aspect of your stay from the food, your bedroom and that you found the staff so attentive and friendly. I have passed on your compliments.

I really appreciate your kind review and hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us again in the future.

c
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Myself and my wife had a two day break here this week ,this was our fourth time staying here over the past five years ,as usual the staff \food ,room,and facilities were top class.I would recommend this experience to any one you wants to get away from the stress of every day life and just relax

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Brian F

Thank you so much for your very kind review of you and your wife's stay here at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa. We are delighted to welcome you back to us so often and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thank you once more.

Kindest regards
Newmarket-on-Fergus, Ireland
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I spent two days here with my partner on a special two day offer.
Staff were very friendly as usual. (I had stayed here on two other occasions.)
I was disappointed with the dinner which was included with the package. My starter of crabmeat was very dry and tasteless. My main course of duck breast was just about OK. I then had the cheeseboard which was very disappointing in that there was a limited variety of cheese. I would have been very annoyed to have to pay in excess of €50 for this dinner. Service was very slow even though the number of guests was low.
For the first breakfast the sausages had a very unpleasant taste and the bacon was dry having been on heat for some time. I had pancakes the second morning which were just ok.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sobriain
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Sobriain

Thank you for taking the time to write you review and for liaising with Linda by email on your comments. We appreciate your time and always appreciate our guests suggestions and reviews.

We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon and as mentioned, please get in touch with Linda when you are returning.

Thank you once again.

Kindest regards,
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed in Inchydoney hotel last weekend and it was absolutely amazing. It was so relaxing and I enjoyed a mums to be massage which was gorgeous. Everything was perfect from the staff, the room, the food, the views and the overall atmosphere. We got married here on the 27th of July 2013 and we couldn't fault it. The day was out of this world. It was even better than we could have expected and this was down to superb management and staff at the hotel. Guests at our wedding were also highly impressed with the food at the hotel which they are still talking about. Without a doubt, this is a top class hotel and I cant wait till my next stay there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Anne L

Wow what a wonderful you review, thank you so much. I really appreciate your kind words. I'm delighted that you had such a fabulous wedding day here last summer and that your guests loved the food. Thank you for coming back to visit us again, it was great to see you again. Our wedding couples are very dear to us and we love to look after you all well.

Thank you once again for such a lovely review and I look forward to welcoming you again.

Kindest regards
cork
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Just returned home having stayed 2 nights at inchydoney and I must say what a relaxing weekend it has been, beautiful location. From the moment we arrived we were made feel so welcome the reception staff were very friendly. I used the spa facilities for a hot stone massage which was lovely and the pool was also very nice. The food in the bar was delicious as were the cocktails. I must say I thought the little chocolates in the room in the evenings were delicious and such a nice touch. I would definitely recommend Inchydoney hotel to others and will most definitely return to stay again

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear sass353,

Thank you for your very kind review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed so many aspects & the little of the hotel from the food, the staff and the chocolates on your pillow. I'm delighted to see that you would recommend us to your family & friends, thank you.

Thank you once again for very kind review & I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Kindest Regards,
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife and I went to Inchydoney hotel for her birthday. it was the 1th and 2 th of February. The weather was terrible, gale force winds, rain. This in no way spoiled the lovely two night stay I am glad to say. The view of the waves crashing on the beach was great and when it did clear for a bit ,the walk on the beach was still great and so many other people doing the same. As for the hotel,
very welcoming, food was great. ( loved the home made bread and jam ) room was very comfortable and clean. The weather was so bad we could not go in that night to the near by town of Clonnakilty for the traditional music. so we went down to the bar where they had a guy on a stool singing. Well done to that guy he was brilliant , great fun.
So over all we would love to go back and stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Familyman03,

Thank you so much for such a lovely review of your stay with us her at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa. I'm delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy your wife's birthday celebrations, despite the weather and that you got a walk in on the lovely Inchydoney Beaches. The next time you come back you will have to visit Clonakilty, if the weather holds us, it's a great town.

I have passed your compliments onto Dave our resident musician. He was delighted. Thank you once again for your very kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back for your next special occasion or holiday.

Kindest Regards,
Proprietor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonakilty
Dunmore House Hotel
Macdonald Kinsale Hotel & Spa
Celtic Ross Hotel
Celtic Ross Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rosscarbery

Been to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!