“a long promised visit”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Galway, Ireland
“a long promised visit”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The service is what we really appreciated during our short stay. Our room was not ready when we arrived on Sunday afternoon, we only had to wait about 20mins and during that time we were brought freshly brewed coffee, not to mention the offer of an Irish Mist on arrival.Our room was fabulous and all have sea views, the balcony added to the experience of enjoying the sea and sand anytime you wished without leaving your room.Should you wish to sit elsewhere, there were many areas to lounge, our favourite being in front of the big fire in the sitting room, lots of big comfortable chairs to sink into, and always somebody about to care for all your needs. The food both in the dining room and the pub was superb and of equal standard.Og course the hotel and it setting are stunning but really it was the friendly and helpful staff in all areas that won us over and made Inchydoney Lodge a place we will definitely revisit. Mae

Room Tip: all rooms have sea views!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mae D
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Mae D

Thank you for writing a review of your stay in Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa on TripAdvisor and for choosing to stay with us.

It was a pleasure to read about your experience here and I am delighted that you had a wonderful time. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff, I will pass your compliments to them later today and I am sure they will be thrilled.

I look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 18, 2013

It’s important to remember that the truly outstanding feature of the Inchydoney Spa Hotel is the setting – the stunning beauty, the wildness of the scenery, the sense of truly being away from it all, gloriously enhanced by every last kilometre of the distancing journey along the peninsula edge.
The hotel itself is well run and friendly. Whether its style is to your taste or not depends on just that. If minimalist understatement if your thing, chances are you may feel dizzy pretty quickly as you walk the corridors of Inchydoney, where strong pattern and a certain kitsch charm dominate at every turn, and artworks of all sizes and styles add to a slight sense of stylistic mayhem that may not be fully intentional, and definitely doesn't feel a la mode, but is strangely comforting and homely in its way.
I like it. I like the generous size of the chairs in the resident’s lounge, the predominance of comfort over overt style, the sense of old-world values the surroundings imbue. And the fabulously sinky sofas are so cosy to curl up on and read your book.
On to the room: I had this possibly out-dated idea that a family room would mean an adjoining one for the kids, and that turned out not to be the case, disappointingly, as four in a room, large and all as it was, was a little too crowded for comfort, especially when small kids wake at the crack of dawn, full of chat. Cue adult regret at that last over-filled nightcap. A sense of separation afforded by an adjoining room would have added a very important extra to our trip.
Breakfast at Inchydoney is an incredibly ample and delicious affair, and availing of a few pastries on the way out for later isn’t frowned upon – the philosophy seems to be, it’s here, it’s yours, take it. Service when we were there – which wasn’t a busy time – was a bit unfocussed though, and we had to ask a couple of times for ordered items. There was a sense of lack of attentiveness that comes from no one person being allocated to your table – or so it seemed, anyway.
The food in the main restaurant (which doubles as the breakfast area in the morning), which is expensive, is good. The bar food – also expensive and over-priced for these times – is also satisfactory, and the service attentive.
They make families feel very welcome here, although the restrictions around children and pool hours is annoying and worth checking out before you plan your day. I do believe that family hotels should not place restrictions like these on families – it’s discriminating to children who in my experience are really well behaved and just part of the fun, same as the parents.
I did see it from the other side, though, when I got chatting to a woman in the sauna who had sought refuge in Inchydoney to get away from her young brood, and seemed a bit put out that there were children there. I understood her pain, could even identify with it, as the odd time I’m away from the kids with my husband, trying to coax back to flame the pre-kids fire, I’ve about as much interest in other people’s members of the species as I do in taking up an intensive course in underwater basket-weaving. But I accept that they’re part of the world and have a right to be there and are therefore not disposable of on my whim! Plus that’s what zoning out was invented for.
The spa here is gorgeous and personally I love the seawater pool, it feels really refreshing and is much preferable (and better for your health) than the heavily chlorinated standard, so it gets full marks from me.
Overall, my hunch is that if you walk away from here feeling very unsatisfied, you may want to investigate possible deeper causes. Because once you know what you (and your pocket) are in for, there’s a whole lot to enjoy, in a natural surroundings that would ease the troubles of the lost, soften the intentions of the cruel, and make even the most miserable among us smile as they sit on the white sands of the adjoining strand, and gaze in wonder at the beauty of this special part of the world.

Room Tip: If looking for a family room, check to see if there are rooms with adjoining ones for kids - it wasn...
Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Ciara C

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay in Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa on TripAdvisor and for choosing to stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here with your family, it was lovely to read that you enjoyed the decor and ambience of the hotel.

It was lovely to read about how special you feel Inchydoney Island is and I am glad you got use all the faclities the hotel has to offer.

I look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

ennis
Reviewed April 17, 2013

just back from a glorious week in inchydoney lodge & spa with my friend berni. we are annual guests at the hotel and we feel so at home here .location is superb on the beach whatever the weather. the food is superb both in the dunes pub and gulf stream restaurant , with the majestic views of the sea. I like the way the source local food in their menu, check out the local kinsale cider.the staff are a real gem and could not be nicer, a special mention of Rebecca and mary Teresa , who were very helpful. we love the pool with all the sea water jets and especially enjoy the spa treatments. I love all the wonderful paintings and local crafts throughout the hotel . the lounge upstairs is so peaceful and relaxing. I feel I have a wonderful restful break here and hopefully we will return for years to come. anne/co clare

Room Tip: pick a room on the third floor not facing the restaurant.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear anne l

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay in Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa on TripAdvisor.

Your loyal custom is very much appreciated, I am delighted that you both feel very much at home here. Thank you for your kind words regarding Rebecca and Mary Theresa, they are both valuable assets to the team and I look forward to passing your compliments to them.

I look forward to welcoming you upon your return.

izeult
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend very recently with my boyfriend and other than the heating being on in the bedroom we could not fault our stay here.

Each bedroom has a lovely view of the beaches and the sea from the balconys - we were down towards the end of the coridoor and had a bigger balcony than a lot of other rooms, maybe something which could be kept in mind.

The bedrooms are lovely and comfortable and spacious, the bathroom also is large, the products are excellent and water pressure very decent.

All the staff without fail are lovely, every member of staff greated us in a very friendly way when we passed them, whenever and where ever we came across them.

Breakfast is delicious and very plentiful, I recommend the pancakes and blueberry compote!

Dunes bar - the food is outstanding. Restaurant quality - I had the steak sandwich two days in a row and quite honestly I'd have it every day for a week, melt in the mouth steak and beautiful red onions. Absolutely lovely.

we had treatments in the spa as well - again very lovely. I woudl advise though using goggles in the pool as personally I find the sea water stings by eyes but it's far nicer than a pool filled with chlorine.

I would recommend staying here, we had a great weekend and we will be back.

Room Tip: Look for a non ground floor room towards the end of the corridoor - the balconys are larger.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear izeult,

It was lovely to read about your experience here and I am thrilled that you enjoyed everything the hotel had to offer. I will let the chefs for Dunes Pub & Bistro know that you loved the Steak Sandwich!

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Carlow
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Myself and my husband stayed in Inchydoney for the first time in April. We had a fabulous few days break. The hotel is so relaxing, our room was beautiful with a lovely balcony and great sea views. The restaurant where breakfast is served also has stunning views of the sea. The staff were very friendly, I really liked the warm welcome accompanied by a glass of Irish mist. We ate in the Gulfstream restaurant one of the nights. The food was amazing and the service was great, lots of choice on the menu. The relaxation room in the spa is also beautiful with lovely sea views. Lots of little complementary touches make it a very welcoming and relaxing hotel - all rooms have a sea view, turn down service, bowls of fruit all around the hotel, Irish mist on arrival and a pot of jam on departure. I am looking forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: The third floor is closest to breakfast and the spa, probably better sea views too.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MKelCarlow,

I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us and that you enjoyed all the little touches around the hotel and the dining experience in The Gulfstream Restaurant.

I hope that we will be welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We are regulars at this hotel every year and thoroughly recomend it. It is in an ideal location - right on a stunning beach. We stay in the apartments as it is more practical with 3 children, but eat breakfast and dinner in the hotel. Food is great. The apartment is clean and well furnished, with a balcony overlooking the beach. Staff are very helpful and courteous. As a family, we love everything about it.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Ygamble
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Ygamble,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa on TripAdvisor and thank you for your loyal custom.

It is wonderful that you and your family have enjoyed numerous stays in the hotel and I am thrilled that you have returned to us many times.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Inchydoney in the near future.

Yours Sincerely.

pallasgreen
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stunning location, great accomodation, superb Customer service, along with great food in the Dunes. Kids had an amazing time in the fabulous pool, playroom, and of course on the beach, with courtesy kites from Reception. Nespresso machines in each room help with a great start to the day, overlooking the ocean and breakfast includes an extensive menu and great service.
The hotel manages to have a luxurious ambience and surrounding, and still be 100% child friendly and accomodating - no wonder we keep coming back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mary O,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay Inchydoney Island Lodeg & Spa on TripAdvisor and for choosing to stay with us.

I am delighted that you had a brilliant stay in our hotel and that found us to be a very child friendly hotel! We offer great facilities for families and I am thrilled that you got to use them all.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Inchydoney in the near future.

Yours Sincerely.

Proprietor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonakilty
Dunmore House Hotel
#7 of 8 in Clonakilty
Celtic Ross Hotel
Celtic Ross Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rosscarbery

Been to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!