“Simply brilliant.”

Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Went back to this hotel last week with expectations and hoping that the fab time we had on a previous visit would not be shattered. Absolutely excellent. I could not fault this hotel for sheer relaxing atmoshphere, fantastic hospitality, excellent food and stunning scenery.

I had a spa treatment and must say the muscle melt massage was incredible. This was without doubt the best massage I have had in some time and lived up to its name. Marie was the massuese I had and she was superb. Well done to you if you read this!

We ate in the bar for dinner and there is no doubt that this is a standard that would put the majority of restaurants in the country to shame. The presentation was excellent and choice terrific for a bar food menu. In fact the menu (for dinner and breakfast next morning was superb with little details such as informing you from where each ingredient was locally sourced.
Excellent idea.

We were lucky that we had superb weather and managed to get in a cup of coffee (Nespresso coffee maker in our room - how cool is that?) and drink it in sunshine (December 4th!!!) on the balcony overlooking the sea.

Also the hotel had a Christmas fair over the weekend which had a lot of local produce for sale and fantastic jewellery stalls - we did half of our Christmas shopping there! I know that this will not be there every weekend but if they have it next year, make sure you book a night.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Dear Tedser24

It was our pleasure to welcome you back to Inchydoney and thank you for choosing to return.. Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review, with so much positive feedback. I've passed a copy of your review to all the team and they have asked me to pass on their thanks for your kind words.

I was delighted we lived up to your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially that the weather was so good for you.

Our Christmas Fair at the start of December has beome an annual event and I was pleased you enjoyed it and managed to do some of your Christmas shopping while you were here.

We very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Inchydoney during 2012.

There are newer reviews for Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa

Reviewed December 8, 2011

Had a great break here recently - fabulous food, hotel was lovely, rooms & pool area really clean & serviced regularly. All the staff were really friendly and helpful without being intrusive. My husband and I both had treatments in the spa which were fabulous. Suffice to say we didn't want to leave!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sinead352

Dear Sinead 352

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with Tripadvisor and writing such a lovely review, in particular that you did not want to leave - always a good sign.

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Inchydoney and I very much hope we get the opportunity of welcoming you back in 2012.

Reviewed December 8, 2011

Spent another lovely weekend in this hotel... the place to go if you want a pampering... The management and staff were so friendly and polite,service and attention second to none!! The room was fabulous with views to die for!!...Definitely visiting with family again next year!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank moneypennyDublin

Dear moneypennyDublin

It was our pleasure to welcome you back to Inchydoney and thank you for choosing to stay here again. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and left feeling pampered.

We are very proud of our friendly staff and I'm pleased you found them friendly, polite and especailly that you were impressed with our attention to detail.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa in 2012.

Reviewed December 8, 2011

inchdony lodge and spa is one of the nicest places in europe to stay. it would even rank highly in world rankings. I have travelled to a lot of places over the world and without a doubt the staff in Inchydony lodge and spa are the most efficient, friendliest and welcoming i have ever met. Nothing is too much trouble for them. The lodge and spa are set in a beautiful location - wonderful safe beaches to each side of hotel. The restaurant is excellent- breakfast is cooked to order which is unique(most places its self-service). The dinner in the Gullstream restaurant at the top of my list of restaurants. Service is efficient, professional and very friendly. I can definetly recommend Inchydony lodge and spa to people of all ages as it has something special to offer.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gd144

Dear gd144

Thank you very much for writing such a glowing review, we really appreciate your kind comments and they have been passed to all the team.

We pride ourselves in our friendly and welcoming staff and I'm delighted they made you feel welcome. We are also very proud of the quality of our food and I'm delighted you enjoyed breakfast and dinner in the Gulfstream Restaurant.

I very much hope we get the opportunity of welcoming you back to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa in 2012.

Reviewed December 8, 2011

My husband, daughter and I stayed here in October. Arrived at 1:55, were told our room would be ready in 10 minutes, it took 35 minutes. Room was spacious and nicely decorated, great balcony with stunning view. Room was dusty, tea/coffee tray was not filled, one bathroom (with chocolate brown stains on front). Nespressos in every room - very nice. Hours for kids in pool very limited, so pool is very busy and noisey at this time, bring your earplugs. No loungers around pool, so if you visit with children, forget about chilling out by the pool. In fact forget about chilling as a family because there is nowhere to do this in the leisure area. Lockers in changing room, locker key you hang on a "mug stand" in the main pool area - lack of security. Floor in changing room wet, even after it was cleaned!! Wooden door feel off a cupboard, crashing to the floor and missed my daughter's feet by 3 inches. Maintenance throughtout hotel needs to be looked at. In spa area, I asked for a new bathrobe but was never given one. Chill out area very relaxing, healthy and delicious food buffet. Dinner in Gulfsteam disappointing. Menu very high in fat, just 1 healthy main course option, chicken 23.5g of fat (as noted on menu healthy options guide). When 1st course was brought to our table I had to ask for someone to bring the wine we had ordered 45 minutes earlier. Daughter ordered from kids menu. She couldn't eat the spicy prawns as they were volcanic. Main course of ham and cheese pizza inedible too. Pizza was the size of an adults hand. Ham on pizza was carmelised and sugar overtook the taste of the pizza. She wolfed down her icecream and beautifully presented too. My husband enjoyed his meal but the whole experience fell well short of the expectation for me. Breakfast was delicious, great selection, lots of organic and homemade produce. I passed my complaint to the manager when I was checking out and she said if I wanted healthy options I should have eaten in the bar. I did not come away on a special weekend to eat in a bar, I wanted a full fine dining experience. Health and wellness is promoted in the spa and I feel the lack of healthy menu choices in the Gulfsteam lets them down. Duty Manager gave me her email address to contact her when we next visit. I would NEVER stay here again. Inchydoney is clinging on to a reputation it no longer deserves. Staff are very friendly and polite but management need to make improvements to their offering.

Room Tip: For great food eat in the bar.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank OBrienDublin
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2011

Dear OBrienDublin

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed that your stay at Inchydoney was not as we would have liked. We are constantly striving to achieve both best in service and standards but clearly on this occassion, unfortunately you have been disappointed. We have discussed your issues with the relevant departments to ensure that they do not happen again.

There are a number of items on the menu in the Gulfstream Restaurant which are very suited to the calorie conscious. We would be delighted, if given some notice of specific requirements, to expand this for particular needs, as we often do. Our less formal Dunes Pub & Bistro also has a wide selection of low calorie healthy options.

I am happy to read that there were aspects of your stay that you enjoyed and would be delighted if you would consider returning to us again in the future. Please contact my office directly should you wish to make a booking as I would like to ensure that we exceed your expectations on your next visit.

Kind regards

Proprietor

Reviewed December 6, 2011

Spent one night in the Inchydoney Island Lodge and Spa recently during a bad storm and some promised flooding. Despite the horrible weather it was a most enjoyable visit. We were welcomed on arrival by a big friendly Cork smile and two drams of whiskey to warm us up. The manager on duty, Peter, was passing by and introduced himself offering his services should we need anything and after a few minutes in front of the open fire we were shown to our room. A balcony with a view of the beach and the stormy sea beyond lent to the cosy atmosphere in luxurious decor.

The hotel is a sprawling array of corridors, random rooms and big windows facing the sea. One particularly great room in the hotel is The Lounge next to the Gulfstream Restaurant. This is a warm and tranquil room full of comfy couches, a library with a large variety of reading materials, a grand piano, a bar and a big open fire perfect for an evening of indulgent relaxation.

We also used the pool and Spa facilitates during our stay. The relaxation rooms are definitely a must even if you are not using the Spa itself. You can sit in silence and read, doze or just stare into the distance to the sea beyond the two storey windows.

I would recommend visiting the Gulfstream restaurant whether you are staying the night or just visiting for the day. While the prices are high, the quality of the food is wonderful and the portions are just right. We sampled a selection of homemade breads which were absolutely delicious and I was encouraged to ask if we could purchase a loaf. Having ordered starters we were then presented with a surprise amuse-bouche and in between starter and main a palate cleanser of blackberry sorbet which was me sorted for dessert! The mains were absolutely mouth watering and our waiter was extremely friendly and helpful.

Overall this hotel is a rare treat in a most beautiful part of the country and should you ever get the time or the opportunity I would definitely recommend a stay. The little personal touches like the homemade chocolates on your pillows and the jar of homemade jam on departure truly make it a special place to visit.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank LollLee

Dear LollLee

Firstly, it was our pleasure to welcome you to Inchydoney. Thank you so much for writing such a beautifully written review with so many positive aspects. We pride onselves on our friendly staff and I'm delighted you received such a warm welcome from both Peter and the Reception team.

We are very lucky to have so many wonderful food producers in the area, which allows us to always have a large selection of fresh, seasonal produce and I'm delighted you enjoyed the Gulfstream Restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa in 2012.

Reviewed December 5, 2011

We had a girls weekend there recently are from the moment of our arrival until we left we felt pampered. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The views from the rooms were fabulous and the food in the Gulfstream restaurant and in the bar was delicious. The only reason I deducted a star was that I felt the decor in the restaurant lacked the same feeling of warmth as the rest of the hotel and it would have been nice to have a dark relaxation room. also the treatments were quite pricey. but truly I would recommend it to all my friends. We all felt totally relaxed and rejuvenated after the weekend

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Dear Ammo1Ireland

Firstly, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. It was our pleasure to welcome you to Inchydoney and we were delighted you all left feeling pampered, relazed and rejuvenated.

We veru much hope we get the opportunity of welcoming you back in 2012.

Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonakilty
Dunmore House Hotel
#7 of 8 in Clonakilty
Celtic Ross Hotel
Celtic Ross Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rosscarbery

Been to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!