“Brilliant service and facilities”

Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Wicklow, Ireland
“Brilliant service and facilities”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Stayed in Quality Clonakilty with my husband and son for weekend. My initial impression was not wonderful to be honest. I had asked not to be given a room on the ground floor but we were given one and walking down to the room the carpet on the corridor was a bit worn/frayed in places. When we went into the room some of the furniture was a bit worn looking. This is where the negative review ends! Everything else about the hotel was really good. The room and bathroom were spotless, which to me is more important than slightly marked furniture. We ate in the bar the first evening. The food was grand, nothing spectacular but decent for bar food. The staff there were extremely friendly and welcoming, in particular the barman with the goatee/beard. We used the pool three times during our stay, lovely clean pool, great for kids. The crowning glory of this hotel from a child friendly point of view is the jungle gym. We received two passes to this when we arrived and it was a fantastic way for my 4 yr old to stretch his legs and get some exercise after a long four hour journey. He couldn't wait to get back into it the following day! Again, the staff in here were really lovely and kept a great eye on goings on.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for families as its facilities ensure your children have a great time and therefore so do you!!

• Stayed March 2014
iocallaghan, Manager at Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for your comments, which we very much appreciate. We have reviewed your booking and please accept our apologies that your request for a higher floor room was overlooked. This was human error, they were available and we could have easily moved you, had we been made aware of this oversight.

Thank you for letting us know the issue relating to the carpet. It began to fray just last week and is being repaired as I write this!. We were delighted to hear that you were impressed with all other aspects of the hotel. The indoor playzone is a great facility for children, but also for mums and dads who need a little break too! It sounds like you had a lovely holiday and we hope you will think of returning to the hotel in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Hello everybody. I stayed here during my visit to the wonderful county cork. this hotel was lovely and I particularly enjoyed the use of the gym attached. The only downside is that it's a bit difficult to walk into the centre of town from the hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
iocallaghan, Manager at Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and in lovely West Cork. The hotel is only approx an 8 minute walk into the centre of town with footpaths and lights all the way. We hope you will think of returning again to sample some more of the many activities that West Cork has to offer.
Castlebar, Ireland
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Looking for a relaxing place to unwind and have your children’s playtime cherished? then look no further than the Quality Hotel in Clonakilty, Co Cork. Recently I discovered this haven of bliss while treating my nine year old Grandson to a birthday present.
I decided to book online, unexpectedly I en-trailed a slight challenge on booking a Twin room (2 guests) 1night B&B Offer at 98euros. I booked 1adult & 1 child but I was unable to add the child’s name online. After paying deposit and printing off confirmation I expected everything was ok.
However when I called Miriam at the Hotel Reception she advised she would have to charge an extra 13.00 for the child. After two telephone conversations she agreed to charge the original Website offer of 98.00. Later that evening I emailed the Reservations dept., for confirmation of the Rate agreed. Sinead the Front Office manager courteously replied with correct confirmation details the following morning.
It was a wet stormy evening when we arrived, the Hotel was warm and buzzing with a children’s birthday party settling in. At checking we were given discount vouchers for local establishments and a Jungle gym pass to contribute to our enjoyable stay. Our key cards didn’t work when we tried to enter our room, but an observant passing housekeeper came to our assistance and used her pass card. She politely advised me to go to Reception to re-key the cards.
The room was welcoming, warm spacious and the perfect present for a nine year old to snuggle up in a fluffy duvet with countless TV Channels. While I found the tea bags and Kettle was my little bit of ‘’coming home’. Nice spacious bathroom and extra towels in the wardrobe, ideal for family use if required.
After settling in we walked the few steps to the Leisure Club, greeted by child friendly Simon, with a great sense of humour. He was attentive in his instructions making us feel at ease. The pool area was brilliant, with a good mixture of adults and supervised juniors. Changing rooms are spacious and spotless. The adjacent Jungle Gym is ideal for younger children, professionally supervised and secure. I also noticed an outdoor play area for the brighter days ahead.
We choose not to dine in the hotel that evening but we were pleasantly surprise the following morning at breakfast in Lannigan’s Restaurant. A broad menu was available on a self-service basis. Fresh fruit, breads yogurt and crunchy cereals. Delicious Irish Breakfast hot and tasty topped with the famous ‘Clonakilty black pudding’ cooked to perfection I must admit.
It was nice to see the General Manager David Henry put in a brief appearance at the Breakfast sitting and acknowledge guests. The dining staff was very accommodating and friendly. The Family friendly Restaurant is brilliant, especially for parents with a few children due to the space.

Alas all too soon our birthday bliss had to come to an end, and on checkout I handed the key-card to the Receptionist who nodded and smiled. She didn’t enquire about our stay. Not even a mention to my junior guest regarding his stay. I was amazed at the short and sweet of the Receptionist’s on both check in and departure, they showed no interest in the children as guests.
In general this hotel is tops for family relaxation. Convenient parking. The facilities are excellent. The Hotel is ideally located beside the Park Cinema and just a few minutes’ walk to the town centre. Inchadoney beach is a few minutes away drive, with the beautiful rural holiday destination of West Cork on the doorstep for day trips.

To sum it up: Rooms big bright comfy and clean- family appointed. The breakfast dining staff are excellent efficient and pleasant. Food is fresh and delicious. Top marks to the guys in the Leisure Club, Simon and Danny both informative courteous and friendly. Thanks to Siobhan for making the checking smooth via her email, much appreciated. I look forward to a return trip in the near future.
General Manager: David Henry take a bow, you are nearly there with your team.

Room Tip: If you like to wake up to the morning sun shining into you room , Book a rooms on No 111 wing of hot...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Travefile
iocallaghan, Manager at Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments. It was heart warming to hear that you and your grandson enjoyed your stay. The biggest compliment any guest can give us is that they will return to the hotel. In relation to your feedback we would always suggest booking directly with the hotel either on our own website or via phone as it is possible to enter one adult and one child this way. Other third party booking sites do not offer this functionality and unfortunately we don't have any control over them. A warm welcome awaits you both at the hotel.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Purchased a night for two people with breakfast for €77. Hotel was very busy as it was the Clonakilty marathon weekend and valentines night but the reception staff were very friendly and very quick with checking us in. We had a lovely clean room on the 1st floor with all the necessary amenities. There was a leisure centre and cinema on site. Very busy pool but to be expected with the weather at the weekend as it was. We enjoyed a nice meal in the Oscars bar. I had the roast of the day which was ample but veg very dry and my partner had a delicious chicken fillet burger with all the extras. Overall I would say this hotel is ideal for families, young at heart couples and groups. Noise is a factor but I would not let that put you off booking as there is so much to see in clonakilty and Inchydoney the room is really only a place to get some shut eye before heading off for the day well fed on the bountiful self service brekkie.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 1st floor which was spotless and a non smoking room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It was lovely to hear that you enjoyed your time in the hotel. We also feel Clonakilty and the West Cork region has so much to offer with plenty to see and do. We hope you will think of returning again in the near future.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I always rated this hotel But I had the Sunday lunch and I swore never again.I waited 10 mins to be served on the carvery and when I did get it was stone cold!The food was served in the bar which was fine but there was as more food on the floor than the plates!I paid over €20 for 2 dinners we barely touched.I was goin to complain but there was a non national serving and he was on the phone and I wasn't prepared to wait another 10 mins we just left!Like this hotel but I'll Never eat there again!

• Stayed January 2014
Thank you for your feedback which we were very unhappy to hear as it is not reflective of the normal high standard of food served at the hotel. Even when busy, 10 minutes is a long wait for carvery lunch. We cannot understand how there was such a delay and we can only apologise for this. Our General Manager, David Henry would very much like if you would contact him at the hotel directly to discuss the other elements of your review. We would like to rectify and learn from this situation.
clare
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Totally forgot to write a review for this hotel stayed halloween 2013, first to visit and wasnt sure about it cause didnt know how much there was to do in the area, we arrived me and 4kids(who i mind) very friendly minute we walked through the door. got to the room plenty off room 2doubles and a single. headed straight for the pool then to the cinema which is on site brilliant, back to hotel for food and kids loved the idea off buffet i think this made them eat more cause could keep going back food was lovely. older 2 went kids club next day really enjoyed it and younger 2 went to soft play area.ate in the bar that night aswel and was fablous really enjoyed it never left hotel from 2 days we were there.we will go back again for sure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Ireland
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Myself my wife and our 3 yr old daughter were very impressed with this hotel. Just so welcomed and catered for by staff. Great family hotel. All activities under one roof. Even catered for my wifes birthday with a last minute cake!! Highly recommended for young families. Will most definitely return!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jmccann
iocallaghan, Manager at Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. It was wonderful to hear that you enjoyed all of the hotel facilities and that you were so impressed by the staff. Hopefully you will think of returning to the hotel for your next little celebration!