“Comfortable but noisy stay”

Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
London, United Kingdom
“Comfortable but noisy stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

We have just returned from a long weekend at the Quality Hotel in Clonakily. We stayed for three nights, whilst visiting family in the area.

We arrived at the hotel early evening and checked in easily. The reception staff were very helpful and friendly. We went up to our room to find our keycard didn't work, as the door handle appeard to be broken. I went downstairs to reception, who told me it wasn't the door handle, but the card, so the girl re-activated it and I went to try again. It didn't work again, so went back to reception. The girl came up with me and agreed that it was indeed the door handle. She took the card off us and told us someone would fix the door once we had gone out (we were going to visit family). We picked the keycard once again, at 1am from a rather drunk barman on reception, but at least it worked when we went up this time! Room was very comfortable, clean and tidy.

That night, we did not sleep a wink due to the noise. Bedroom doors are very heavy and slam shut, and I am not joking when I say doors were slamming every 5 mins all night long. Then we had to put up with drunk guests making lots of noise in the corridors on the way back to their rooms at 3am. The bar is open until 3.30am, which in my opinion is far too late.

We had a similar experience on Saturday night. We knew a large group of locals had checked into the rooms next door to us, and were very noisy during the day (filling their fridge with lots of bottles of alcohol).
That night at 4am, the whole group came up from the bar and went into the room next to ours, singing, screaming, shouting......we were not happy! We had to call the night porter, who came up very swiftly. The poor guy had to come up 3 times and chucked out the guests (who were all smoking in there) who weren't staying in that particular room. Thankfully they checked out the next morning.

On the plus side, the hotel is a 10 min walk from all the bars/restaurants of Clonakilty, and the food in the hotel bar was excellent, as was the buffet breakfast.

It really was the noise, two nights out of three that ruined it for us. The bar is open far too late.
If you can afford it, stay at the Incheydoney Lodge and Spa. We had a fantastic meal up there (very expensive), but out of this world!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise from other rooms at night/noisy drunk guests at night
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank SarabeeUK
iocallaghan, Sales & Marketing Manager at Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre, responded to this review, July 28, 2008
The Quality Hotel and Leisure Centre in Clonakilty, Co. Cork would like to comment that we are always interested in receiving feedback from our guests. Naturally we are disappointed to hear when stays are not as pleasurable as we would have hoped. We have always benefited from clientele who respect the well being of other guests during their stay. On rare occasions some guests are particularly noisy, which clients can appreciate is outside our control, however our night porter would always aim to resolve such situations in a satisfactory manner.

The hotel strongly emphasises that none of its staff have ever been intoxicated while on duty, which is substantiated by our CCTV footage and communication with staff members. While not only illegal, this would be a direct breach of hotel policies and such an allegation would be taken very seriously.

We continually strive to ensure that our guests are completed satisfied with their stay, so once again, any feedback is much appreciated. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome many guests to the hotel and to the Clonakilty area in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

Stayed in this hotel in June and for the price we paid, I felt it was very good value. While the decor was a bit ordinary and traditional, the staff were friendly and very obliging. There were a lot of families and kids around the lobby, but our floor was nice and quiet and the rooms were spotless. I had checked rates with two other hotels, but both had nightclubs at the weekend, so that put us off...Overall we had a lovely time and would go back. There was a good buzz around Clonakilty town too with plenty of choice for pubs and restaurants. Didn't get to spend too much time at the beach though as it rained for the two days we were there, but you get used to that in Ireland!!

• Liked — The level of service from staff. They were willing to meet every need.
  • Disliked — The hotel is very busy at certain times.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a few days in June. We used it as a base to travel West Cork. The hotel was reasonably priced and was the main reason we chose it. However it is quite far from the real scenic areas such as Bantry. I would advise people to stay further West Cork.
In regards to the hotel, it was ok. VERY CHILD ORIENTATED! There seemed to be children everywhere which in turn caused the hotel to be very noisey. The pool was a no go area in the day however it is adult only from 7 pm onwards which is ok. Pool and gym itself is nice. The food in both the restaurant and bar was lovely and the portions were plentiful. The waitering staff were very helpful and friendly as were the staff in the bar.
The bar had entertainment on at night which was good but we seemed to be the only people there without kids. The kids were allowed in the bar until closing and to be honest it felt like we were sitting in a creche rather than a bar.
Overall, I would only recommend this hotel for people with children. It is not good if you are looking for a relaxing break!!!!

• Liked — Food in restaurant, gym
  • Disliked — Children everywhere
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank summer005
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2007

I have just returned from a mid-week break in this hotel. Our group consisted of three adults (20's & 30's). If you want a relaxing chilled out break, DO NOT STAY HERE!
Maybe wrong time of year to go with the kids on school holiday, nevertheless, it reminded me of Butlins holiday camp when I was a child. The children ran riot, very noisy from first thing in the morning until last thing at night. At 12.20am one of the nights, I counted 15 children running around the lobby and bar area. It would be a good place if you had kids but otherwise, forget about going there. Our last night, we ended up taking our drinks up to our room because we couldn't stand the noise.
Our room was okay except for no overhead lights, only bedside lamps and room was a bit dark as we only had a small window also there was coffee spilled on bed sheet and it was left unchanged for the four days.
If you are going to stay here then make sure you get the cost of your stay in writing because when we were checking out, our booking cost €80 pp more than we were told on phone even though I had a printout from web site with price, they wouldn't honour it.
Food was good and pleanty of it. Only negative thing I can say about the food was the lack of vegetarian dish on the inclusive menu. All the restaurant staff were lovely.
To sum up...this place is only suitable for people with children.

• Liked — Swimming pool
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank DublinBubbles
Tipperary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2007

Myself and a friend stayed at this Hotel October bank holiday weekend. We got an excellent deal, 3 nights with breakfast and dinner included.
I found the reception staff very friendly and helpful. The rooms are just average but everything was in working order!The hotel is located a nice walk from Clonakilty town centre and for anyone that has never been to Clonakilty, go there....it's a buzzing town with something for everyone.

My main issue with the hotel was the fact that smokers were standing outside the front door at all hours for their fix. As our room overlooked this area, we were woken up at the strangest hours in the morning! It would be great if the management did something about this.
The hotel itself could do with a makeover.......the decor is looking a bit old and weary.
Overall, given the lack of hotel choices in Clonakilty, I was pleasantly surprised by the Quality Hotel. We got a fantastic deal and I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Front Door smokers
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fifiTipp
Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2007

The Quality hotel in Clonakilty is about 10 minutes walk from Clonakilty town. It is the only hotel option that I was willing to accept for a one night trip to Clonakilty. (The Imperial was unfriendly and unwelcoming, O'Donovans looks VERY run down and my US friends had an awful experience in The Emmet which was old, creaky and their room during a winter stay was damp) So you see the Quality was the only one left in my price range.

When I arrived the hotel was busy and the very friendly receptionist staff had us into our rooms very quickly.

The rooms are of a good standard, clean but nothing special. The bathroom was very clean but unfortunately the shower only worked properly if you balanced on one foot and held the shower valve up with your other foot. Even at this the shower was a bit weak. Eventually we found that we could use a 20c coin to keep the shower valve up rather than our tootsies.
After the shower the bath drains very slowly which is frustrating. It is maddening that this hotel will not ensure that simple things like this are working.
One of the bedside lamps did not work, even when we swapped light bulbs with another lamp in the room.

The lounge bar is functional but not terribly imaginative, the bar staff were quite efficient.
There is one outdoor seat outside the bar for smokers while the remaining outdoor seats are squashed into the smokers corner which is a most uninviting and when I was there a very untidy place. It is a shame with the excellent weather we are having that more outdoor seating for non smokers is not provided outside the bar area. I wanted to sit outside in the sun with my pint, and ended up sitting on the grass.

On returning that night from a session in De Barras Folk club (excellent) two people were sitting on the ground outside the main door smoking, the male of the twosome cleared his throat and spat on the ground as I approached. This alone, was enough to put me off booking in there again. I think the hotel management should ensure that this kind of off putting loitering should be discouraged. It could be intimidating for many visitors to the Quality.

There is a leisure centre there which I did not get to use and while my rate included breakfast, I did not have time to stay for it.

Would I book in there again? Yes I would definitely give them the benefit of the doubt and the female reception staff were excellent, very friendly, helpful and welcoming. However they would want to put their maintenance man on over time to identify and fix broken items in the rooms. The security staff (there were two in reception at night) should discourage loitering around the main door.

• Liked — The welcoming reception staff
  • Disliked — The outdoor smoking area right outside the dining room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Bryno
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2007

I'll start with the location. Regardless of what you have read in some other reviews the hotel is definitely walking distance from the town. I'd say about 10 minutes max. Clon by the way is a great town.
As for the hotel.. I would rate this Quality as being no better than mediocre at best. I stayed in a "Executive Suite" which was basically just a slightly bigger standard room, This was in a non-smoking section of the hotel and absolutely reeked of cigarettes. For the most part the room was clean although the chairs were covered in stains. Also it was "nice" of the hotel to put us into a room where there was a mini digger doing work each of the mornings. I would expect ANY hotel to inform you if there is going to be early morning disruption.
I had breakfast in my room twice and each time there was a problem. On the first day the order card wasn;t collected from the door handle, reception were quick to blame the night porter and on the second night I had to bring the order to the reception as this was advised as the only way to guarantee that you'll get your breakfast. By the way this time it arrived late. So if you have a flight/train to catch don't depend on being fed unless you go to the Restaurant. I had dinner once in the hotel. The dinner was quite nice however the resturaunt is more like a very casual canteen. Not the sort of place you would want to dress up for. My advice is to not have diner in the hotel, this was my biggest regret. There are so many places in Clon and surrounding areas to eat in.
I drank in the bar one night and have to mention this, I was 3rd in line to be served. While the first person was giving in his order the bar man, get this said "I have to answer this" and answered his mobile/cordless phone and left the bar area. He was gone for ages, I couldn't believe it and neither could anyone else. When he got back he was the bar man from hell. No-one got what they wanted as he couldn't seem to find anything and most people just told him to forget it. A barman this bad is one of the worst crimes in a Irish bar.
A problem I encountered was the fire alarm kept going off. I was there 2 nights and the fire alarm went off multiple times mainly in the middle of the night. There was no attempt to stop people evacuating the hotel and no apologies for for the rude awakenings. I felt sorry for some of the other guests who I overheard had very early flights so needed their sleep. I asked 3 different staff members what was happening with the alarms and got 3 totally different answers, sound like a brush off?
The final moan I'll mention is, while sitting in the lobby a lady walked in asking for a room. The night person on wasnt able to tell here how much it would cost her to stay, he actually told her to go to her room and deal with the cost at the reception in the morning. This was the most basic duty this guy had and I was disgusted by it.
It wasn't all bad though. The day shift reception staff were very helpful, great for direction and friendly. When our room wasn;t ready the sat us in the lobby with complementary tea/coffee. Also there if free WiFi in th lobby area, it is restricted to that area only but it's free.
I have stayed in a few other Quality's and have to say this was possibly the worst. This hotel is overdue a makeover.

To finish, Clonakilty is a MUST visit for travellers, the Quality however is not a MUST visit. The only thing it has going for itself is the fact that's it's walking distance to town.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Fire Alarms !! Room service.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple