“Middle of the road - not great but not terrible”

Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a couple of nights in early December.
Hotel has a dated feel to it.
Rooms decent enough size. My first room had an iron but no Internet. My second room had patchy wifi but no iron.
I ate in the bar once and the food was decent enough. The other night there was some band playing. Not for me!
I didn't try the gym/pool.
I'm probably a little spoiled with some of the other places I've stayed but I just found it very uninspiring.

• Stayed: December 2012
iocallaghan, Manager at Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We were glad to hear that your overall stay was a pleasant one, however we too were disappointed with some of the elements that you highlighted.

All rooms should have an iron/ironing board and we can only apologise that your iron was removed. If we were made aware of this issue at the time, we would have rectified it immediately. The hotel offers free wifi in the common areas and in our corporate rooms. On rare occasions dependent on time/volume of people using this connection, we experience signal strength issues, which is why you were moved to an alternative bedroom corridor.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we hope you will decide to return to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Rather a dated place whose only redeeming feature was it was available when everywhere else in clonakilty was booked up. Room was cold but the place was reasonably clean and if you were passing through and did not need any hotel services ( more in a moment) then close your eyes and you'd be fine.
The food in the bar ( serving bar food and restaurant food) summed up all that is bad in the worst of places. Clonakilty is a delight for good food, this hotel lies just outside the main town but may as well be 1000 miles away as it has no right to enjoy the good reputation of the rest if the town when it comes to food. Suffice to say I experienced the worst of creamed potatoes ever ( there was an inch of dried crust on them) and seeking refuge in a plate of chips supplied for a colleagues meal found they were oven chips. My lamb was tasteless ( thankfully a small portion). Our meal was supposed to have a dessert, I'm still waiting. Truly, truly awful food. Poor service.
So when the hotel is located out of town you cannot avoid the restaurant; with food this bad and notwithstanding the reasonable room I will not be returning.

• Stayed: December 2012
iocallaghan, Manager at Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thank you for your comments. All bedrooms in the hotel are equipped with every convenience such as flatscreen TV& DVD players and complimentary wifi. There is also an extensive Leisure Club and Fitness Centre. The decor is traditional in style, therefore “dated” is most certainly not a word we would use to describe the hotel and we find this comment unfair. The entire heating system of the hotel has been upgraded this year, we understand that each guest differs in what room temperature they would like and had you mentioned at the time that you felt cold, we would have sent a portable heater to supplement the heating in your room.

We are truly disappointed with your comment in relation to the food in the bar. It is not reflective of the normal standard in the hotel as you can see from the other reviews. I can only apologise if this was not what your experience during your stay. Should you change your mind and decide to return to the hotel, please contact me directly and we would welcome the opportunity to provide you with West Cork dining at its best.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Booked a two night stay, plus dinner on one evening for my wife and myself. Enquired if there was music in the bar on the Saturday night and was told there was. Arrived at 1.30 on Saturday, no problem, a very nice girl on reception gave us the room we requested, no delays. Down to the bar around six for some food, food very good but some patrons in the bar were a bit noisy. Came back down to the bar after nine, noisy people still there. Music was setting up, but unfortunately had to suffer a disco for nine and ten year olds until 11o'clock. A group had a birthday party in the bar. Booked breakfast in bed for Sunday morning on the advice of a receptionist, and gave her the details. Unfortunately what we ordered wasn't what was delivered to the room. Rang reception, who apoligised, but nothing came up. Came back in Sunday evening looking forward to a nice meal in the dining room, but the dining room was closed. The person in charge, in a kind of condescending way, offered a meal in a dining area which was an extension of the bar. Had the food in the main section of the bar, food very good, but the place was very noisy, children running around, same people that were there the night before. Came down later, had a few pints in the lobby, and went to our room.Down to breakfast in the morning, again the food was good, but our friend who seemed to be in charge, went to the kitchen door, and shouted an order to the kitchen staff, when we asked for something which wasn't on the menu. At checkout, had a word with the manager, who gave an explanation, but offered nothing, not that we wanted anything but would have asked him to give something to a local fundraising effort. As I said a mixed weekend, nice hotel, food good, room good, some staff a bit edgy, but all very nice. If I was as wise when I booked as I was when we were leaving I would not have booked.
Jimmh H Clonmel

Room Tip: Always ask for what you want, I did, and got what we wanted, although some rooms are quite a distanc...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JamesHClonmel

Thank you for your comments. While you seem to have enjoyed your overall stay, some of your feedback was disappointing. In relation to the mix up with breakfast to your room, we were at fault and I can only apologise. A procedure is in place invovling the completion of breakfast cards and in your particular case this was not followed, therefore our staff have been retrained. In relation to your other comments, we aim to cater for all our guests and music is provided in the bar, with the first hour being tailored towards children, if they are present. As you can appreciate, people's evaluation of "noisy" patrons can vary. Should they have being causing a disturbance, they would most certainly have been asked to reduce their noise levels. As you mention, as an alternative, there is a large comfortable lobby area where guests are also welcome to enjoy a drink. We hope you will consider returning to the hotel in the future and should you decide to do so, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel is fantastic, food and accommodation is top class.

The only issue we had was that my wife had a treatment booked that was cancelled by the hotel. I spoke to the hotel manager who was on on Saturday and he said he would see what he could do and he'd get back to me. That was the last contact I had from him. He seemed to actively avoid me after that.

Again though, it's a fantastic place for families. Well worth the trip, loads to see and do and I'd definitely go back again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TravelHappy2013

Thank you for your comments. While we were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay, we were disappointed that your issue regarding your treatment was not resolved. As our massage therapists are on call, due to demand, we have been having some difficulty in recent weeks securing the relevant therapist. This issue has now been resolved and a more permanent solution has been put in place. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your return to the hotel

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Me my partner and her son stayed here on the October bank holiday weekend and again it was brilliant ,we often stay here and will do in the future as it it a brilliant hotel with brilliant staff ,rooms are lovely and comfortable ,we had a package for two nights and we had an evening meal on our seccond night and again it was brilliant , fast friendly service and the food was v good
staff always say well and are polite anytime we saw them during our stay .
ten out of ten and cant wait to be booking our next stay

Room Tip: look for the exceutive family rooms ,really good value and plenty of space
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your lovely comments. We are so grateful for our repeat, loyal customers. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed in the Quality hotel for 3 nights in August for a family break. From the moment we arrived, we felt very relaxed and the kids were well catered for. The hotel is a little worn around the edges, for example the steam room, the cinema and some of the common areas, but having said that, it made the experience more relaxing because you weren't afraid that the kids would damage something. We have children aged 3 & 6 and they both loved the children's play area and were more than happy to spend an hour or so in there whilst we went to the bar to read the papers etc. if you don't have children I wouldn't really recommend the hotel as there children everywhere in the bar, restaurant etc so it wouldn't be very relaxing!

A number of plus points regarding the hotel: the children eat from a buffet at mealtimes which means that they get their food straightaway, which was brilliant because they didn't have to wait and could choose something they liked. The variety of activities for the kids was great, e.g. Pool, cinema, jungle gym etc. We stayed in one of the apartments which was really spacious and was so much better than being in a small hotel room as you have a small living space plus 2 bedrooms. Finally the price was very reasonable and overall I felt that the break was excellent value.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
iocallaghan, Manager at Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for your lovely comments. It is great to hear that the entire family enjoyed their stay and we hope to see you back at the hotel soon.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I rang the Quality directly yesterday and found dates that the 2 bed apts were available during mid-term. I got my prices, and was told that there was one apt free on friday night and 5 free for sat nite. I asked could i provisional book it for 24 hours and she said that was no problem. the lady took my name, address and telephone number. And i told her i would ring her within 24 hours. When i rang back 15 hours later i was told (by the reservations manager), that there was no reservation for me and that they were actually overbooked. She wasnt a bit understanding that i had booked holidays off etc to go. So never make a provisional booking with them..............not impressed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank oosulliv

Thank you for your feedback. Having spoken with the Reservations Manager, there seems to have been some confusion over your provisional booking, which we did not have on our reservation system. For the dates you requested, the apartments have been fully booked for some time, therefore if indeed a provisional booking was taken for these dates, it was done so in error and I can only apologise. If you would lke to contact the hotel we can suggest alternative dates or alternative solutions such as a large family room or interconnecting rooms.