“Can't imagine why this is not No. 1 in Clonakilty”

Fernhill House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We had the pleasure of being wedding guests at a Wedding there on the 5th of April. From the time we drove up the drive way we were impressed. We enjoyed a quick trip on the buggy down to the drinks reception in the marquee. We had a lovely walk back up to the Reception enjoying the lovely garden views. The one thing I could not fault was the service. Unfortunately I was unwell and could not dine and the staff fussed all over me. I mean who bothers in the middle of a busy reception dinner of 200 + guests to bring you tea and toast (a huge thank you to Julia or Julie, unsure of the name) but this lady was a lady, very kind and attentive. She is a great asset to your waiting staff team. I would only hope that my own daughter chooses this venue in time to come. I would not hesitate in recommending this venue to anyone. Congratulations to all of you at Fernhill for an outstanding venue. I will be back!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
mikefern, Manager at Fernhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Hello Mad000,

Thank You for taking the time to post this review, and I hope you are feeling much better. Our Gardener & Groundskeeper Patrick was delighted to hear you enjoyed the gardens. Our waiting staff team pride themselves on exceeding customer expectations wherever possible and your review gives us all a real lift. Julia is an outstanding team member and yes a fantastic person to have here at the hotel. I am passing on this review to her and all my colleagues and I am sure it will make her day. It is brilliant that you would recommend Fernhill House Hotel & Gardens as a Wedding Venue as Weddings are our specialty.
Looking forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights B&B from Holy Saturday to Easter Monday. Finished work at 6pm so I got there for 7.30pm. Very clean front of house, nice & neat all round. No one at reception so rang the door bell but one came, so had to go the bar to get some one. Only had to wait for a total of 3 mins from arriving to some one to check me in.
The food was lovely from the breakfast to the Sunday lunch I had. Lovely garden grounds with a foundion also. The foundion was still turned on when I came back from the cinema on saturday night at 11.45 pm which I found unusal along with the lights in the gardens. To me this is a waste of money (recession on in the moment) and waste of time as no one will be able to see the full effect of the water foundion & gardens unless its daylight & a function is on like Sunday lunch or wedding.
Fine size room & lovely bath which I had after getting wet in the town on Easter Sunday.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
mikefern, Manager at Fernhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Hello Ripunzel,

Thank You for taking the time to post this review, It is unfortunate that you had bad weather for the Easter Sunday. Hopefully our weather will improve soon.
Thank You for noticing the cleanliness of the hotel, we take great pride in this. Apologies for the delay in checking in Friday Evening. Our Gardener Patrick was delighted that you enjoyed our landscaped gardens. We are in the process of lighting our garden features at the moment for wedding photos during the months where it gets darker that bit earlier. The water is self contained but yes there are electricity costs. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Thank You for staying at our hotel, we hope you will revisit.

Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Arrived late and tired on a Friday night, too late to eat in the restaurant so ate in the bar..very disappointing. However breakfast the next morning more than made up for it. Salmon and scrambled egg, fresh fruit and yogurt and wonderful homemade treacle brown bread! The best hotel breakfast I have ever had! Dinner in the restaurant that night was also wonderful. There were two large affairs being catered for and there was no disruption whatsoever. A lovely stay overall. I also loved the foyer..fabulously decorated.

• Stayed: February 2013
mikefern, Manager at Fernhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Hello 900whist900,

Thank You for taking the time to post this review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy our bar food. On the other hand its great to read that you found our Breakfast to be the best Hotel breakfast you have ever had. (The secret here, is local produce, cooked to order!!!!!). It is great that you found the dinner in the restaurant to be wonderful. Our interior designer, and General Manager Teresa will be delighted that you found the Foyer to be Fabulously Decorated. It will really make her day.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed here alst night having attended a wedding at the hotel. Throughout the day we wee constantly commented on aspects of the hotel that impressed us the most. Some of these are as follows. The setting of the hotel s beautiful, the reception and staff are particularly friendly, the catering staff a the wedding were noticeably good. The food was out standing. the decor and the overall general fell of the hotel was fresh and psotless. It had a feel as though it had just been recently refreshed. Lovely fresh celan vibe right throughout the hotel. The corridors and rooms were lovely and warm with n option to turn up or down heat in the rooms. The room itself was very spacious, lovely big bathroooms with complimentary Kelp products, whihc was a nice touch. Brerakfast wasn't naything other than the usual but ti was more than adequate. I'm surpsied to find that this is 3 star hotel. I can't recommend it highly enough for a wedding venue. To stay as a private coupl I'm not usre if it has enough facilities but I haven't experience of this and so I don't know. I would definitely return to this hotel. It has a very strong fmaily run feel about it.

Room Tip: rooms on 3rd flooor seem to be superior, ours was 302 and it was super.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank maggiem00

Hello Maggiem00,

Thank You for taking the time to post this review. We love catering for weddings here at the hotel, and its great that you enjoyed the wedding experience here. We are family run but have a very professional management team & ethos in place.
We are constantly renovating and refurbishing, and cleanliness is of the utmost importance through out the hotel.
Hoping to see you back at Fernhill again soon.

Fernhill House Hotel & Gardens

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed here last weekend March 2013. 1 night stay.
Very clean hotel, really modern but still has the old charm.
Our room was huge (no.300) Shower and bath were amazing. The bed was kind of broken everytime we turned around or moved it made lots of noise.
Staff were fabulous!
Wifi was very fast I was able to stream Netflix.
It was pretty empty while we stayed there lots of people there for dinner, probably locals. But actually staying there I do not feel there were many.
The breakfast was great. All the best meats from Clonakilty, pudding sausages etc. Also cereal and fresh fruit!
They have a lovely garden. Hotel was very nice and if you are looking for somewhere clean friendly and nice to stay I would recommend it.

1 tip - we went out for dinner and drinks in Clon and walked there - 20 mins- we said we'd get a cab back as it was freezing and all up hill so tried to get the bar to call us one at 11.30pm they could not get through to anyone so we ended up walking. It was a grand walk but it was dark and about 3 degrees- not 1 taxi passed us on the way back. so I would advise anyone to organise with hotel to get a cab for you or have one pick you up.

Room Tip: room 300 was amazing!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello luluslollypop,

Thank You very much for taking the time to post this review. We were delighted that you chose to stay with us. Thank You for your kind remarks regarding our colleagues, and also our breakfast in which we endeavour to offer local produce. It can be difficult to source a taxi from time to time in Clonakilty and having one pre ordered is a great tip.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hi,
We have just returned from a 2night stay at the Fernhill house hotel. On arrival staff was very friendly we went to our room and the wifi didn't work, somebody came up to help straight away couldn't fix it we were moved to another room which was cold but was heated quickly. The wifi still didn't work a different hotel staff came up and fixed it. We went for a stroll in the garden which was lovely and we returned for a meal at the hotel. The food was lovely but the selection a little small 1 more starter and main on the menu would have been nice. The next day after breakfast we went up to the room before going out for the day and were surprised by a member of staff and 2guests that wanted to view the room. I didn't appreciate the disturbance and there was no apology after. We went out for the day and when we returned to our room the key didn't work after cleaning had been there that was on Saturday and the same happened on Sunday after breakfast and the cleaning lady let us in.
The staff at the hotel was lovely all very attentive and polite. The dinner room was nice but the music didn't fit in with the surroundings. The dining room was also split in two which I only realized on Sunday and instead of sitting in the part that is closer to the kitchen I would have appreciated to sit by the Windows and enjoy the view.
Thank you to the staff at the hotel the service was great this is more about the surroundings.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank KatharinaW03
mikefern, Manager at Fernhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Hello KatharinaW03,

Thank You very much for staying with us recently. We are delighted that you found our colleagues to be very pleasant and offering great service. I will try to address a few of the issues you raise here. From time to time our key cards do act up. The manufacturer informs us that it is being in close proximity to mobile phones that throws them. We are investigating same. We had an 80th Birthday Party Function in our Maple Room, who made a special request for that room, and that is why the dining room was split on the night.I must apologize for any disturbance with regards to our wedding co-ordinator showing around a couple on your floor.The change of room in addressing the WI-FI issue from the night before must not have been noted by reception.
We hope that you will choose to stay with us again and look forward to seeing you.
Best Regards & Thanks Again
Operations Manager.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

just home after our stay at Fernhill House and i am so looking forward to going back as soon as possible. After checking in i decided that i wanted to change to a room with a balcony the girls at reception checked for me and told me that this was no problem.When I did change the room was cold and a heater was brought up straight away.We ate in the bar and were informed beforehand that it would get noisy as there was a big dinner on that night.We were given other options but decided to stay and we had a lovely meal.Iwould like to compliment the owners on their choice of staff as they all were so pleasant and very helpful.We had a lovely stay and we were very reluctant to come away. Sally Murphy

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sally,

Thank You very much for taking the time to write this review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank You very much in relation to your kind words regarding our colleagues at the hotel. They are a great team and we will pass on your praise. Request a room with a balcony for your next stay and we will be happy to oblige. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Fernhill House Hotel & Gardens