“Alright, nothing brilliant”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Its an alright place, food can be nice but a tad pricey too. Was not impressed when I ordered dessert and was asked if i would like ice cream on it and then noticed a large charge on my bill for ice cream, hate restaurants that charge for every little bit when they charge enough already hence I won't be going back.

1  Thank irishtourerIreland

Reviewed June 2, 2011

I have been to many restaurants in Mallow and Uncle Brando's is my favorite Italian food restaurant. I have been there numerous times and the food is always as tasty as the first time I went. The service is lovely there. Highly recommend the Vegetarian bruschetta and the beef or chicken lasagne. I am not a big fan of La Scala-there is a lot of Seafood on the menu and I am allergic to shellfish.

1  Thank TrionaD
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Have visited here on a two ocassions in the last few weeks. on work nights out........average experience in relation to food. Desserts left a lot to be desired. Had the lasagne - it's average.

1  Thank Co.Corktraveller
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Great Italian food and reasonably priced. Service Excellent and a varied menu. Much better than La Scala which is the other Italian in Mallow. Highly reccommended.

Reviewed January 20, 2010

In this case everything. Being the first Italian restaurant to open in Mallow I was really looking forward to trying Uncle Brandos (I feel ridiculous even saying the name). When we arrived the atmosphere was actually quite good, busy with a nice smell coming from the open kitchen. The host was pleasant and showed us to our seats. The restaurant and toilets were clean and there are some nice (if somewhat tacky) pictures of Mr Brando himself adorning the walls. My biggest gripe with this restaurant was the food, it was poor (at best). There is way too much on the menu so sitting down you know its not cooked fresh. I ordered the Calzone which was dry as a bone and the pastry was waay to thick. It was just a mound of dough with a load of chopped ham inside. My wife had the Arrabiata which in fairness she said was ok (dried herbs though).
We have some fantastic produce available in Cork, great local butchers in Mallow, and the English Market is just down the road with all sorts of imported (and reasonably priced) Italian cheeses and cured meats and olives. You could even grow your own herbs which would have to work out cheaper than buying dried (and so much better). There is just no excuse for serving up poor food anymore, people pay enough to expect better and can cook better themselves at home. Suggest you hire a new chef, one that loves Italian food.

2  Thank G0nz023