“Food is continuously poor - 3rd visit.” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Roundabout Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Mallow B&B and Inns
Ireland
“Food is continuously poor - 3rd visit.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

I had the misfortune of eating here for the third time today having decided to give the place the benefit of the doubt that the food must have improved from the previous two time I visited in the last 5 years.
Food is continuously unpleasant and bland. General decor is grimy with a stale smell. Staff were friendly but inattentive. I did not make a formal complaint to staff there as being the third time I have visited and been disappointed I feel there is no point as I will not frequent the place again - learned my lesson.

Shepherd's pie was bulked out with carrots and peas with minimal meat. Potato and chip sides were dry and wholly inedible. After today's experience I can say that this places has the worst vegetable soup i have ever tasted. It is a shame as the location is ideal for passing traffic. Avoid.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank KariMD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Visalia, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

We were staying in Killarney traveling out to the Blarney Castle and cork for the day. We were getting hungry and going through another roundabout. Suddenly I saw a restaurant with places to park so we pulled in. After we pulled in I was a little leery, but my husband said hey we're parked let's go in. We went inside and the place was packed. We got service immediately. The people were friendly and the food was fairly quick. I could not believe it. We ordered chicken with vegetables. When Our order arrived it was huge. We had half a steaming chicken and four kinds of vegetables. When we received the bill again we were shocked it cost next to nothing. I'm thinking about flying across the pond again just to eat there.

• Stayed September 2013
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

I had the misfortune of staying here , the room stinked and even after the window opened for two hours it still stinked.
I have stayed in a lot of places over the years but this was the worst.
The cost for room with or without breakfast was the same as I had an early departure next morning and first breakfast was not until 8:30 am .

Room Tip: don't stay in room 19...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Mallow hotels

North Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Pulled into the car park with the family after a long day of driving around, hungry, tired and most of all looking forward to a pint of the black stuff.

By the look of the place, very large, fairly dark inside and to be honest not the best colour on the walls outside, we did not know what to expect.

The staff were warm, welcoming and very helpful, we were looking for an overnight stay for four adults and two small children, two family rooms were the answer, breakfast included, all sorted we were of to settle in and get some food.

As it seems with many of the pubs in Ireland small portions do not exist. The food was lovely and even as hungry as we were we could not get through it all. Again the staff were happy to have a talk, just those little things that give an extra joy to a holiday.

After a few drinks we were all off to our rooms, comfortable, large enough, maybe in some ways a little worn but certainly clean.

Breakfast as with the supper was a very large plate of the "full Irish", certainly you will not go hungry if you stay at this pub.

I would happily stay there again as an overnight point whilst touring Southern Ireland.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
cork ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Called in for a quick sandwich. Asked for a chicken salad one. OMG - out came a dried up old .cardboard piece of chicken in fairly stale bread. We told the waitress that it was inedible and were told that the chicken had been freshly delivered that morning. No Way! then No apology, no discount. Very expensive for horrible food.
Avoid like the plague

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I was unfortunate enough to stay in the Roundabout Inn in Mallow for one night, or maybe i was fortunate that it was only one night, i suggest that you get use to the yellow gaudy paint work on the outside of the building because thats the colour that will haunt you in the bedroom and the hall areas (also the sullen look and attitude of the girl that checks you in, really dont put this girl out charm school was clearly a waste of time), mix that with cheap grubby pine furniture and struffy smelly carpets and thats the best you can hope for for the night, added on top the rooms smell stongly of stale cigarett smoke and musty bedlinen, not to mention the grubby walls and radiators (i cleaned mine with baby wipes and ran them over the headboard and lockers beside the bed too, oh and the tv remote which seemed to have some of the last guests dinner stuck to it)...then there is the smell of food wafting up from downstairs in the resturant which lingers in the room....the radiator in the bathroom leaked and the towels (thankfully i had brought my own) were certinaly pre-used, the shower door was hanging on by a whisper and didnt close, but one thing that was good was the shower itself with plent of hot water and great waterpressure i felt i had washed the grubbyness of sleeping that room off me, that is until i had step out on to the semi-clean bathroom floor....all in all not a good place to end up staying in...cant comment on breakfast as i was more interested in getting out into the fresh air then attempting to eat there....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mary J
Youghal, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stopped at the roundabout with a bus load of passengers for a quick meal at 4-30 in the evening.There were 26 people on the bus and without exception everyone left happy.Service was excellent,with very little waiting.Staff were pleasant as well.I opted for the lion of pork which was very well presented and plenty of it.Veg carrots and peas were beautifully done.I liked the idea of separate little ramekin dishes for the accompaniments My only gripe was the apple sauce which was a disaster and I would say shop bought.There is lots of parking here and certainly well worth a visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mallow
Centre
The River Lee
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,284 reviews
Annabella Lodge B&B
#2 of 6 in Mallow

Been to The Roundabout Inn? Share your experiences!