“Underwhelming dining experience”

Ranked #6 of 60 Restaurants in Malahide
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Kajjal was opened by Sean Collender and Shoaib Yunus in October 2007 and has been warmly welcomed by the people of Malahide. Kajjal's aim is to provide a friendly and relaxed atmosphere where you can enjoy a consistently good standard of food and service. Kajjal is open 7 days a week from 12 till 11pm and offers great value lunch, every Sunday live music is on from 2pm to 4pm. Sister restaurants Kinara in Clontarf and KInara Kitchen in Ranelagh. Try our newly opened Italian Restaurant Michaels Italian in Mount Merrion.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had a midweek evening dinner here.

We were ushered to a table in an large, empty restaurant; pretty soon another couple was ushered into the directly table beside us, despite there being a good 10 other free couples tables dotted around the room - they were still empty by the time we left. Totally unnecessary.

Service was pretty good - although i did request a jug of water, none was given - they seem to want to keep returning to top your water up instead (or forgetting to, as the case may be)

Food was expensive and not great. Starters were odd and not very tasty - pokora and some weird chicken ball. The mains were ok, but there was butter in EVERYTHING! Apart from the odd noted exception, I was under the impression that Pakistani/Indian food didn't have generous servings of Irish dairy butter??

Wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't priced as a mid - upper range restaurant.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (549)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I booked in person in November 2019 for a family birthday celebration planned for January 2020. The booking was for 15 people. The impression I got from the manager at the time of the booking was that I was putting the restaurant out by making a such a booking for a Saturday night. I looked for 7pm but was informed that I could only have 8.30pm. I stated that I understood and that it was the reason I had come in well in advance and in person. I asked for a text or card to confirm and suggested that I pay a deposit. I was informed that neither of those suggestions were the policy of the restaurant. When I did not receive a call to confirm my booking up to the day before the party I rang to confirm. I was told that the booking was for 10 people from 6pm to 8pm. Obviously I had arranged with everyone for 8.30pm! The manager was simply obnoxious stating that I may well be correct 'Madame' but that it was the case that I had no other option but to take what they were offering. I obviously did not accept this. As soon as I put the phone down I received an automatic text from them confirming my 6pm booking (which I did NOT make) had been cancelled. We have enjoyed many family evenings at this restaurant over the years since it opened. That is why we chose to celebrate our family occasion there. What a mistake! Customer loyalty means nothing to them. In hindsight I should have realised, back in November, by their attitude of 'putting us out' that it was a risk. I wish they had been honest at the time and told me that they could not facilitate such a group. Anyway they have lost our custom. I'm sure they won't suffer given how difficult it is to get a last minute booking. But you know success comes in many forms and there is no substitute for courtesy and good manners!

4  Thank lizodoherty
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I really enjoyed my night out here, I went with some friends and it's the perfect place for a friends night out. The decor is lovely , the food is fantastic , the cocktails are delicious and the staff are great. If I was from Malahide I would be very happy to visit often

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Part of the Kinara group, this is well worth a visit or three! Cosy atmosphere, great service and delicious food. They cater so well for allergies too. The “early bird” is full of value. Tourists, Malahide is a short dart ride from the city Centre. There you will find a beautiful resort by the sea and the train station is wonderfully located and a 5 minute walk to this superb restaurant.

Reviewed December 9, 2019

Its over a year since we last ate here. My wife and I ate here very recently, and the food and service are top class, there's a great buzz in the restaurant, it won't be a year before our next visit !

Date of visit: December 2019