“Excellent B&B - delightful host”

Beechwood Country House
Ranked #3 of 10 Malahide B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I finished my 2-week vacation in Ireland with a 3-night stay at the gorgeous Georgian Beechwood Country House in Malahide. I chose it for its proximity to the airport, but it turned out to be an excellent choice for other reasons as well. The room was lovely and spacious, overlooking the garden in the back. Joe went out of his way to make sure I was comfortable and enjoyed my stay. He was so helpful with bus schedules and restaurant suggestions as well. A chance remark led him to pursue another path in my family history search that resulted in a totally unexpected and serendipitous meeting. The charming village of Malahide is situated on the coast of the Irish Sea and is a short 1-mile drive (or walk) from the B&B. The enchanting Malahide Castle is only minutes away. All in all, my stay at Beechwood Country House was the perfect ending to a wonderful vacation and completely exceeded my expectations. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank melirish8

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Beechwood is located just south of the lovely little town of Malahide. It's a perfect location no matter which direction your trip will be taking. Just a short 20 minute drive from the airport and minutes from Malahide and its excellent restaurants. There's even Malahide Castle 10 minutes away. The rooms are spacious with a nice shower and wonderful bed and pillows. The owner, Joe O'Reily is a gregarious Irishman that is a treat to engage in conversation. He cooks a great breakfast to order to start your day out right. There's a bus stop a few hundred feet away if you want to take a bus into Dublin but be sure you get the correct bus on the return trip to avoid a long walk. Don't be afraid to drive your car into Dublin but you will want a GPS or you may be wandering the winding streets for a while. The National Museums are free and worth the trip into Dublin if you do nothing else. We've stayed with Joe 4 times now and we will ALWAYS require our trips to Ireland start and end at Beechwood.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms:-)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dyoung8
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had stayed in Beechwood in 2005 and revisited Ireland this June. The place has been kept extremely well and continues to run beautifully. Joe is an excellent host who takes GREAT care of his guests. He helped us with every tiny details, gave us tips, offered to drive us to the train station, received our lost luggage for us, offered us his laundry.... we really felt at home; last but not least, he made wonderful breakfast! Malahide is a beautiful village close to the airport and has some wonderful restaurants. Although possibly not the best choice for travelers without a car, this wonderful B&B is unquestionably my top choice for a visit in the Dublin area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank dudegr
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My stay here was short, but wonderful. Joe, the owner, was incredibly helpful! I had car trouble before I arrived there and he gave me some good advice and made sure I had assistance on the way before going back to what he was doing. Later that day, when I was ready to go find something to eat, he offered me a ride to town, which was greatly appreciated! Offered to help me take care of my toll on the M-50 as well. The grounds are very pretty, gardens, etc out back. My room was super comfortable and very, very clean. Lots of hot water. Towels and toiletries were provided as well as bottled water in my room upon arrival. Minutes from the center of town, Dublin, the sea/beach, and the airport. Breakfast was delicious and nicely presented. Very, very nice!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 0813Traveler
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I greatly enjoyed my stay of three nights at this beautiful house. The host, Joe, was very friendly and helpful. I am especially greatful that he talked me into renting a car for my independent tour of Ireland. It made the trip much more enjoyable than taking the bus. He even drove us to the airport to rent the car! The home and grounds are very beautiful and he made us right at home. I enjoyed talking to him and the other guests. I don't think we could have possibly had a better start and end to our trip than to stay here!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Suzanne615
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My husband, sister, brother-in-law and myself traveled to Ireland for a family Christening. After researching hotels and B&B's in the Malahide area we decided upon Beechwood Country House and what a good decision that was. From beginning to end we were taken in and made to feel like family. Joe and his son Terry could not have been more accommodating. Joe allowed us to come in early the morning we arrived from the US and even offered us breakfast and tea before we went up for a nap. The house and grounds were gorgeous-so luxurious. Only wished we had gotten to see the thousands of rose buds bloom. It was just too early. Joe even gave us a ride into town one day when my husband and I didn't have the car. Our rooms were quite comfortable after Joe showed us how to use the heat. It was chilly to us but not to the Irish. I guess they're pretty used to the dampness. Just wished the fire had been blazing. After three nights we really felt like family and miss Joe & Terry.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6 which was quite comfortable for my husband and myself.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 34sueb238
Reviewed November 4, 2011

My wife and I had our honeymoon in Ireland and started our trip at Beechwood Country House. Joe was an amazing host and went above what we expected. He went out of his way to drive us into the city center to catch a bus to Dublin and made sure we had enough coins to get on the bus. The room was well kept and comfortable. Breakfast was great and overall the hospitality we received was amazing. Joe helped us make choices of what to see and do while in Dublin and what we really should see and what might not be as worthwhile. I would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malahide
Grand Hotel Malahide
Evergreen B&B
Evergreen B&B
#2 of 10 in Malahide
Castle Lodge Bed & Breakfast

Been to Beechwood Country House? Share your experiences!