“The real deal”

Dublin, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The real deal”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Having spent more than 20 years in Japan and with a Japanese wife, I think it's fair to say that we can tell good Japanese food from bad. We've had the bad in Dublin (you know who you are!). But Wasabi is (almost) without exception as close as you'll get to authentic Japanese food in Ireland. Delicious tempura, noodle dishes, donburi (rice bowl) dishes, teriyaki and sushi. You won't find a wide range of Japanese drinks, but some basic sake, umeshu (plum liquour) and beer are enough for me.

I've sometimes wondered whether authentic Japanese food is actually what the Irish palette wants. We've booked Wasabi a couple of times but have never seen it full. I think it's also partly down to a failure to aggressively market the place. Which is a shame, because I'd hate to see it close due to lack of business. There is usually a Japanese person working, which is nice, though they tend to be working-holiday visitors.

I did say "almost", and the menu items that disappointed were surprising - the white rice and the wasabi of all things! The former tasted like it had been left for a day in the rice cooker, and the wasabi was the cheap stuff out of a tube rather than freshly grated. We mentioned both things to the staff so maybe they will have improved. The tofu also wasn't great but then where can you possibly get fresh tofu in Ireland?

A variety of online and print vouchers have made many trips to Wasabi a no-brainer for us. But even without them we will continue to be regulars.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank JapanZone

Malahide, Ireland
“Avoid, very poor”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

As a fan of sushi we were looking forward to Wasabi but maybe we should have realised what was in store for us when we entered an almost empty restaurant at prime time on a Friday night.

The waitresses have poor English but eventually got our order even if it came out backwards. The gyozo were good but not hot but that was really the high point of the meal. California roll was bland and tasteless, the spicy tuna roll had so little tuna in it that we could barely find it. The tempura of prawn looked lovely and was well presented but the prawns were not deveined, a very fundamental error.

According to the website, this restaurant has a Michelin star chef, I find that hard to believe given the quality of food and lack of attention to detail.

The service was terrible, the staff didn't see to have a clue and kept running over to ask each other questions. Our wine glasses were filled almost to the brim of the glasses, we were not offered water and generally the seemed to be like rabbits in the headlights.

Avoid this restaurant, sushi bought in your local supermarket would be better.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank mattlanna
Dublin,Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superb Japanese cuisine at a very good price”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I recently enjoyed the very well-priced lunch menu at Wasabi on a Sunday afternoon. On arrival I received a complimentary green tea. I then had the Salmon roll followed by Chicken Teriyaki served with boiled rice. A delicious miso soup was also included. I found the menu to be extensive with plenty of choice. The food was of a very good standard and extremely good value. The sushi was very fresh and nicely prepared. My main was well presented and flavoursome. Service at all times was excellent. I certainly will make a return visit.
It’s nice to see a Japanese restaurant join the number of other excellent restaurants to be found in the Malahide area

• Visited March 2013
Dublin
“Amazing value and delicious food!!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I found ourselves in Malahide at lunchtime recently and decided to give Wasabi a try as we were in the mood for Japanese food. At €12.90 for two courses including coffee we were slightly worried the quality of food would be a let down. How wrong we were! We had sushi rolls to start which were delicious and a good portion size. For main the teppanyaki chicken and fried rice was delicious. Having visited Japan previously the food was as good if not better than anywhere there we had eaten. Two cups of good coffee with after 8 mints finished a lovely meal. Next time we find ourselves in malahide this will be our first port of call!

“Give it a go!”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Having spent a while in Asia I'm a big fan of all tastes from the East, sushi in particular. Saw the groupon voucher and went for it-awesome value! Very tasty, fresh food. Great friendly and informative staff, so if you're new to sushi they'll help you so no excuses!!
Restaurant was busy the Friday night I was there-good sign and good atmosphere.

• Visited February 2013