“Avoid, very poor”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Malahide, Ireland
“Avoid, very poor”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

As a fan of sushi we were looking forward to Wasabi but maybe we should have realised what was in store for us when we entered an almost empty restaurant at prime time on a Friday night.

The waitresses have poor English but eventually got our order even if it came out backwards. The gyozo were good but not hot but that was really the high point of the meal. California roll was bland and tasteless, the spicy tuna roll had so little tuna in it that we could barely find it. The tempura of prawn looked lovely and was well presented but the prawns were not deveined, a very fundamental error.

According to the website, this restaurant has a Michelin star chef, I find that hard to believe given the quality of food and lack of attention to detail.

The service was terrible, the staff didn't see to have a clue and kept running over to ask each other questions. Our wine glasses were filled almost to the brim of the glasses, we were not offered water and generally the seemed to be like rabbits in the headlights.

Avoid this restaurant, sushi bought in your local supermarket would be better.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank mattlanna

Dublin,Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superb Japanese cuisine at a very good price”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I recently enjoyed the very well-priced lunch menu at Wasabi on a Sunday afternoon. On arrival I received a complimentary green tea. I then had the Salmon roll followed by Chicken Teriyaki served with boiled rice. A delicious miso soup was also included. I found the menu to be extensive with plenty of choice. The food was of a very good standard and extremely good value. The sushi was very fresh and nicely prepared. My main was well presented and flavoursome. Service at all times was excellent. I certainly will make a return visit.
It’s nice to see a Japanese restaurant join the number of other excellent restaurants to be found in the Malahide area

• Visited March 2013
Dublin
“Amazing value and delicious food!!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I found ourselves in Malahide at lunchtime recently and decided to give Wasabi a try as we were in the mood for Japanese food. At €12.90 for two courses including coffee we were slightly worried the quality of food would be a let down. How wrong we were! We had sushi rolls to start which were delicious and a good portion size. For main the teppanyaki chicken and fried rice was delicious. Having visited Japan previously the food was as good if not better than anywhere there we had eaten. Two cups of good coffee with after 8 mints finished a lovely meal. Next time we find ourselves in malahide this will be our first port of call!

“Give it a go!”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Having spent a while in Asia I'm a big fan of all tastes from the East, sushi in particular. Saw the groupon voucher and went for it-awesome value! Very tasty, fresh food. Great friendly and informative staff, so if you're new to sushi they'll help you so no excuses!!
Restaurant was busy the Friday night I was there-good sign and good atmosphere.

• Visited February 2013
dublin
“Want to seoe more people here!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was my 3rd meal at Wasabi. They have been doing great voucher deals and to be honest I would not have tried it otherwise. Went with 2 small kids a few sundays ago. Had a Bento which was really tasty. the tempura was nice and light, the salmon teraki was gorgeaus. Not mad on "battered veg" so would try the other bento box next time as I had that before and it was lovely. Kids had kid bento boxes. €12 is too expensive for a kids meal but they did enjoy it. The staff were really lovely and I really would love to see more people trying this restaurant and creating a buzz around the place. The staff said that it has been quiet so hopefully more people will try it out.

• Visited January 2013