“Let down - expensive and a bone in my sashimi” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Koi Sushi & Japanese Bistro - CLOSED

Koi Sushi & Japanese Bistro
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dublin, Ireland
“Let down - expensive and a bone in my sashimi”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

This would be a one star review only our waitress was so nice. I ate in Wasabi on a busy Saturday night. I was looking forward to the visit, as it had been booked out the previous weekend.
Firstly I found the menu very restrictive, there was only one sake option (not that I am a sake connoisseur, but I would like some choice), there was one white wine by the glass and it was not possible to get any red wine by the glass. There was also no Japanese Whisky (or any other spirits!).
We ordered sushi rolls, which we could have no complaints about. All but one of the prawn dishes were tempura prawns (even the sushi rolls), so I opted for the regular tempura prawns. As happens in so many places there was more tempura than fish which made the dish far too greasy. However, the worst was yet to come. We ordered sea bass sashimi, which cost €8.90 for five of the smallest slices of fish you could imagine. Whilst eating the first piece of sashimi I bit into something hard - it was a bone. I was embarrassed as I discretely tried to remove the bone from my mouth, only for the fish to still be attached to it. Half of the serving came back out with the bone and onto my plate! I finished what I could of the dish and left very disappointed. I do like Japanese food and I will be travelling in to Dublin city centre in future as there are a number of good Japanese restaurants there, that are better quality and better value.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank ijustlovegoodgrub

Perth, Australia
“Delicious and authentic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

In my opinion this is the best japanese restaurant in Dublin. Having spent some time in Japan, I miss the food a lot and the versions here leave a lot to be desired. The tempura udon was lovely and light, closest to what we had over there. Also some interesting desserts (an area in which most other japanese restaurants here are lacking) including black sesame icecream and tempura icecream. The staff were very polite and helpful. Will definitely be back and recommend it to all my friends.

• Visited December 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I'll be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Love it- already planning my third visit ! Have to try every dish on the menu-Also always parking in the Village...... brilliant

1 Thank Mutley4Ollie
Dublin, Ireland
“Another great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is the second time we have eaten here. This time we ordered takeaway as we didn't have time to sit down.
I love their sushi, especially the sea bass and scallops - yum! But the highlight of each visit is the temaki roll, we ordered the ebi tempura temaki and it was just amazing. My kids also love the yakitori and gyoza.
Thanks for another lovely sushi dinner - so happy there is such a good Japanese restaurant close to where I live - definitely worth the trip from Sutton!

• Visited November 2012