“Nice Hotel”

Grand Hotel Malahide
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Malahide
Reviewed December 22, 2009

Overall a nice hotel - we do not usually go for the big hotels but was pleasantly surprised by the Grand Hotel. Our double room was clean and a resonable size - even if I didnt get the sea view I requested but it was more in hope than expectation!! The staff were all friendly and the breakfast decent. We used the pool etc and had no compaints. I would go back for another weekend - lets just hope sterling improves against the euro as eating out was very expensive in Malahide!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,650)

Reviewed November 16, 2009

Stayed overnight on 13th Nov 09, had higher expectations of a 4 star hotel, Room was small and extremely hot. there was no way to ventilate the room as there was an opening restriction on the window and the door out to a roof could not be opened for safety reasons! beats me why they dont have air conditioning or at the very least a grid over door so that you could open it and not walk on roof! the hotel solution to dilemma was to supply a fan... but because there was no air coming in, it only circulated stale hot air.poor for a 4 star I thought. was with a party of 12 so we had six rooms in all and on visiting these rooms found them hot and cramped for the price. Staff were friendly, location nice but not all rooms had a view, and again the window problem with all our rooms, would not recommend this hotel for value,

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Had a two-night stay in the Grand, in a wonderful room. There's a great buffet breakfast with a splendid view at the seaside. All together a very comfortable stay. However, front desk staff could be slightly friendlier.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2009

Stayed her for a friends wedding recently. Beautiful reception area, beautiful dining room and food was great. Staff were not over friendly at all. I wanted to pay cash for my stay and I was quickly told that I would not be able to put anything on my room for the duration of the stay. I knew this to be the case but it was the tone with which I was told that surprised me. Our room was very small but other guests had huge rooms so it was a bit hit and miss. Overall the place is spotless at least.

If you are staying at this hotel for a wedding/function DO NOT TELL THEM THIS! We were being quoted €165 as we said we were attending a wedding, but our friends who said there were not attending a wedding got it for €110! I queried this with them and was simply told "that's the wedding rate!"

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2009

Stayed here for an entire week for an international conference. I agree with previous reviews - the rooms are rather hit and miss. My first room was huge, but dark and with a view of the porch over reception. I dropped my bags and went back to reception; my second room was smaller, but much nicer. But beware sea view rooms, as these are on the main road from Dublin, and the windows aren't as well insulated as they could be, so they can be noisy.

The bathroom had a very fetching line of mildew round the ceiling, but the rest of it was clean. I had problems with the wired internet initially, but did eventually work out how to get it to connect. I also don't like to do my email in the middle of reception, especially as this entails perching on a chair with your laptop practically on the floor in front of you!

This is so obviously an old building, so I expect to see battered paintwork, but not carpets that need cleaning. The stairs have a wonderful "lean" to them - or maybe that was the Guinness!

The food in the Coast restaraunt was pretty dire - breakfast was greasy, and you couldn't help yourself; we had a couple of mass catered lunches that were fairly tasteless. I gave up on the third day and had a sandwich in Ryan's bar. The bar is ok, but why is it that everywhere in this hotel has to have children in it? Why can they not open the Griffon lounge for adults only? I like a bit of peace and quiet!

If you're going to eat, take a 10 minute stroll into Malahide. First, locate the cashpoint machines, because you'll need them. Guinness is anywhere between 4 and 5 euros a pint.

Another 10 minutes gets you to Malahide station, where there are regular trains into Dublin city - get a timetable from reception, and make sure you have a weekend one if necessary, as the trains are much less frequent.

There's a fitness centre - pity I never got to see it!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2009

Just returned from a world wide conference at this hotel. Nice little village but do not book this hotel if you like technology...it is awful. They offer FREE internet in the rooms but it did not work for most everyone at the conference. The rooms had the OLD televisions with very bad reception and terrible channel selections. Not a good hotel if you are 'wired' because they are not! No vending machines either! They had one room off the lobby but it was empty! Had to purchase Diet Coke in the bar for $4USD a glass...and a small glass at that!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank soozieSlcUt
Reviewed September 13, 2009

We bookend a long weekend her e for my dad's 70th with family coming from Cork, Uk and midlands. All in all it was a great trip, with no fewer than 6 children 3 or under it could have been a disaster! We had two great dinners in restaurant, breakfast was great each day and staff couldn't have been nicer to our extended group. The hotel location is great and malahide is a lovely place with a great park and playground for the kids. Only negative that weekend was Leinster beating Munster!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malahide
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
Island View Hotel
#2 of 2 in Malahide
Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel
The Waterside House Hotel

Been to Grand Hotel Malahide? Share your experiences!