“Dad's 70th weekend was indeed a grand occasion”

Grand Hotel Malahide
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Malahide
Reviewed September 13, 2009

We bookend a long weekend her e for my dad's 70th with family coming from Cork, Uk and midlands. All in all it was a great trip, with no fewer than 6 children 3 or under it could have been a disaster! We had two great dinners in restaurant, breakfast was great each day and staff couldn't have been nicer to our extended group. The hotel location is great and malahide is a lovely place with a great park and playground for the kids. Only negative that weekend was Leinster beating Munster!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,636)

Reviewed September 1, 2009

Very impersonal hotel. Room with sea view fine. The provision of bottles water in the room would have been appreciated. Dinner in the restaurant was a disaster. Staff very offhand bordering on rude. Service terrible. Food unappitising. Very disappointing as there was a lovely view from the restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2009

This is a lovely hotel in an incredible location, which makes the poor service even more disappointing. I am a frequent business traveler to Dublin area and discovered the Grand on my last trip when I was looking for an airport convenient to airport which was not "rack and stack". I had a wonderful one night first experience - large, sunny room with incredible seaviews and walking distance to Malahide, with its nice variety of restaurants, shops, and walkway along the sea. I was also impressed with the full service gym on premises. First experience was so positive I booked into hotel for a full week my next trip over. The experience went from bad to worse. First off I was given a small dark room which smelled like smoke and had a view of a dead end wall. When I asked for a transfer I was told hotel was fully booked and that would not be possible. When I pressed politely they did find an alternative - not as nice a room as on first trip but a definite upgrade from what they were trying to give me this time. Internet service did not work in the room and they sent a very nice porter to the room who tried hard but admitted he did not know what he was doing. I did not receive my wake up call the next morning. When I called again about the internet service they sent the maintenance person - also very nice and also admitted he did not know what he was doing. 36 hours later I still had no internet connection. I called once again to front desk and asked if this was primarily a tourist hotel with no pretensions of catering to the business traveler. If this was the case I could understand the lack of competent IT person on site and lack of attention to wake up call requests. However, they assured me that they did indeed cater to the business traveler and had many people working happily away on their computers in their rooms. They also invited me to partake of free wireless in the lobby. When I explained that my work is very confidential and that I needed to be able to work in my room they again sent the hapless maintenance person to my room. When I was finally referred to the duty manager, he asked if my company had recently changed my secuirty settings. I said no, but my clients easily could have. I said that even if this was the case any competent IT person should be able to repair settings within in minutes and I heard his nonverbal agreement to this obvious truth. He did apologize but made no effort to get anyone to my room for help nor did he offer any sort of good faith effort to repair my inconvenience. With no other recourse, I left the following morning and returned to my usual Dublin hotel, the Radisson St. Helens. When I experienced the same internet connection problem, I called the front desk and within minutes they had a competent IT person in my room and connectivity problems were repaired.
I personally think that this experience at the Grand is quite a shame. This hotel should be a wonderful experience, but whoever is setting their culture of service could use some significant help. There were other small inconveniences too space consuming to mention here. Something is definitely off in this hotel and that is a definite shame. I won't be back.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2009

have stayed here 4 times in recent months Same problem each time. Arrive well after chech-in time which is 3.30 pm to be told room not ready. Very disappointing and reason given each time was 'we're busy' 'have lots of people to check in'. Em yes it is a hotel-that's the norm! I complained heartily on last visit as it was 5pm when we arrived and a room was mysteriously found within 10 mins. However to be met with impatient guests in reception area on each visit and to hear constant complaints about check in throughout each stay is disheartening. HIRE MORE STAFF TO HAVE ROOMS READY ON TIME!!!
Other thing noticed on each visit is that staff at breakfast do wipe tables constantly when they cleared them - straight onto floor!!!!!!!! I watched this happen umpteen times resulting in floor being a mess. Very strange.
Hotel is immaculate otherwise with beautiful flower arrangements throughout. Food is lovely and leisure complex very good.
Some staff very friendly but reception let them down - they really need a customer care course. Smiles and a welcome wouldn't go amiss!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2009

After reading the reviews on here I was a bit apprehensive about The Grand, but it was FAB!! We had a family room on the 1st floor with HORRID views (not bothered). The reception has been updated, the rest of the hotel is a bit dated, our room was upto 4 star even 5 star standards! The breakfast was OK, nothing to write home about, we ordered from the Lobby Menu a couple of times which had nice sandwiches. Staff was not that friendly though! All in all I would still go back to this hotel. My boys loved it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2009

After having gone through some emotional problems at home my husband and i decided we needed a break from it all and The Grand fitted the bill perfectly!
We had a beautiful room in the executive wing - very very spacious with views you would never tire of! Breakfast was lovely on both mornings with lots of choice and v fresh. The only minor disappontment we had was after being out all day on the Sunday we came back to find our room untouched with the dirty wet towels in the bath where we left them. I rang down and we had someone come up immediately but it was a bit awkard sitting in the room whilst it was cleaned! And as it was late evening on a Sunday the store room was locked so we couln't have our water or anything replaced! Other than that a fantastic stay!
Gibneys in the village on a Sat nite was a great night out!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for two nights at the beginning of July. Our car was parked in the underground car park which was safe and had plenty of room. The reception was very large and spacious and the staff were really friendly . Our room was ready when when we arrived at 1:30. We were on the 2nd floor in the new part of the building and the room was large, spacious and clean.
The bar food and restaurant meals were of excellent quality and reasonably priced although a bacardi and coke costs 7 euro 10 which is a bit on the dear side!
Thoroughly enjoyed the leisure facilities especially the pool even though the water was a bit cold.
We have stayed here several times and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank homerbird
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malahide
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
Island View Hotel
#2 of 2 in Malahide
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel
The Waterside House Hotel

Been to Grand Hotel Malahide? Share your experiences!