Grand Hotel Malahide
$106
$125
$114
  • Restaurant
Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
$161
$149
  • Room Service
$161
$162
$145
$122
1,683 results
All reviewscoast restaurantsea viewryan's barmatt ryan barexecutive roomleisure centrelovely hotelpublic areasshort breakbar foodfamily roomstayed for one nighthotel bardublin cityirelanddartportmarnock
Reviewed March 11, 2014

The Grand Hotel Malahide is of huge sentimental value to my family with my grandparents & grandparents wedding receptions there. It is our go-to spot for family events. Last Friday was my nieces Confirmation and we went to the Grand for the early bird menu. Our group was aged between 7-80+ and we were all looked after incredibly and all enjoyed the meal. The early bird menu is great value and has a massive selection. I am on a high protein & no carb diet, the staff did their best to facilitate my awkwardness! My steak was perfect & Jess was a charming waiter. I would definitely recommend the hotel for family meals and events.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank AmyLouOG
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed at the Grand Hotel when in Dublin recently on business. This is a lovely hotel that lives up to its name!

A lovely grand hotel right on the seafront, just a 5 minute walk into the centre of Malahide, with lovely pubs and restaurants.

The bedroom was very large and spacious and contained everything required for a short (or long!) business trip. A great dining room with views out across the beach and bay, to the marina beyond. Lovely breakfasts. And the hotel has a spa, gym and swimming pool too, so next time I visit, I will be sure to find time to make full use of it!

I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Just back from a lovely weekend away with my partner. Would highly recommend this hotel as it's such a peaceful location. We got the dart to the city on Saturday, which was packed due to the Ireland Italy match so it was nice to go back to a quiet hotel and chill. The food in all the restaurants in the hotel was just amazing. So over all well worth a visit

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Lollysul
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Had amazing time in the hotel! The interior is so beautiful we decided to have a little trip around as well :) The room was spacious and with wonderful sea view. Staff is very friendly and helpful, full professionalism! Well done!
I loved the gym, perfectly equipped.
Free car park

Room Tip: Always ask for a room with the sea view!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in March on a B&B plus one 3 course evening meal rate. This cost €290. I thought the price was probably about right for a 4 star hotel near Dublin.

Grand can mean imposing, big, opulent and extraordinary. But as per the title of my review it takes on the "Irish" colloquial meaning of acceptable but not particularly anything to write home about.

Location
Overall we had a nice break as the hotel is in a fantastic location. Malahide is about €35-€40 in a taxi from the city centre if you're coming back in the early hours and about 20 mins from Dublin on the DART. We did a night in Dublin and then stayed local the following evening. Lots of lovely pubs and bistros in the village and it's on an estuary with some nice views and scenic walks along the beach/sea front. So the hotel is perfectly placed for all of that.

Staff
Our experience was that the staff are really lovely, pleasant, smartly dressed and professional at all times. I found all the staff helpful and attentive and this is one of the selling points of the hotel. Top marks here.

Decor and aspect
The new and the old reception areas are pleasant and relaxing to sit in. Some open fires and the new area is especially bright and airy with a modern twist staying true to the old hotel design. However, I was more than a bit disappointed with the overall layout and design because the hotel doesn't make the most of its stunning location. The Coast restaurant - where you get your evening meal and breakfast (Unless you're seated in the overflow area) - has a sea view as do some of the hotel bedrooms. We had a room with a side sea view which was nice but there are no balconies in the rooms to get the most of the view while enjoying a cup of coffee/glass wine. The hotel bar and larger overflow breakfast area have no natural light at all! I was hoping for a nice cocktail bar with stunning sea views but alas the bar is dull, dark and they don't do cocktails. I guess it is what it is, so short of redesigning the hotel there's not much can be done about that but it was a big disappointment. Our bedroom was fine with a single and a double but there was nothing special about it unlike the nice photos on the website. It was clean, if a bit corporate and reminded me of rooms I've stayed in away on business. It was also very close to a lift, so was noisy with people coming and going and we could hear the constant chirping of the lift voice recording saying "Going down"!!! Argh. Really annoying. There were also lots of young children up running up and down the corridors in the mornings and early evening. Not the hotel's fault that one, but not relaxing nonetheless.

Restaurant - evening meal
It was dark when we ate so we didn't take in the nice views but in the summer you should book a window table. The 3 course meal was....grand! With our deal we were saving €7 euro each on the overall price of a 3 course meal and as we had steaks we saved a further €5 each on the supplements. If I return I wouldn't bother with the meal rate as there are much nicer places to eat in the village. The food was fine but the 3 courses were too much for us and we made a mistake going for the meal rate. We had asked to change over to B&B rate but we didn't confirm quickly enough so we had to eat in the hotel or waste our money. Again staff here very professional and attentive without being too over the top. It's a fine balance and I think they have it just right. Typical hotel restaurant though, not a great deal of atmosphere. The wine is expensive but you can order a more reasonably priced glass form the bar no problem. Was annoyed we were stuck eating here in the end and thought they could have accommodated us by changing us back to the B&B rate. Some excuse about the system being locked in at close of play.

Restaurant - breakfast
The bright airy Coast with its stunning views, that the hotel sells itself on, is not big enough to accommodate all hotel guests for breakfast and there is a separate function room behind the bar which is used as an overflow. It's horrible! No daylight. When we arrived down for breakfast there was a huge queue for Coast so a manager led us and others who were waiting into the other buffet area. The whole thing reminded me of the bit in that old programme Bullseye where the presenter says to the contestants "Here's what you could have won!" Breakfast itself is standard and a little greasy. I've had worse and I've had a lot better.

Spa
Didn't make it down!

Extras
We ordered breakfast to the room on our first morning and I thought the room service charge of €12 was too much. Even in London it's half that. We weren't advised when we ordered of the cost. I know there would be a charge but was surprised at how much. Also they charge for wifi. It's a real bug bear of mine to have to pay for wifi. I think this is very mean of the management when guests are already spending a lot of money in the hotel. It's ok for guests from the Republic of Ireland who can use their mobile 3/4G networks but as I'm a UK customer I either have to pay extortionate roaming charges or pay extra for wifi. There are a lot of Northern guests in the hotel and the management knows and exploits this in a very unfair and off-putting way. I think it's totally outrageous for any business in the hospitality industry to be charging in this day and age and I'm sorry but I feel THAT strongly about it. Gibney's bar and plenty of other establishments in the village are offering wifi free and not getting the arm into tourists.

Back on the plus side and in the interests of balance and a fair review there is free hotel car parking and the housekeeping service was good! I would stay here again but would have to base this on the excellent staff, fabulous location and a change in hotel policy regarding charging for wifi.

Room Tip: Request a sea view away from a lift.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Avalena
Grand Hotel M, Sales Manager at Grand Hotel Malahide, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay in Malahide.

We are delighted to read at you enjoyed the location of the hotel and found our staff friendly and helpful. The history of the property dates back to 1835 when the original house was a private residence situated at the end of the Mall. Our recent extensions to the hotel have tried to maximise the hotels location by creating as many light filled spaces including Coast Restaurant which overlooks the Marina and our O'Carolan and Tara Suite function rooms which both enjoy sea views. Our Matt Ryan bar is in the heart of the hotel and has natural daylight.
Our Palm Court restaurant is available for breakfast during busy times or over holidays when guests are likely to be dining at the same time. We have ample space in our Coast Restaurant to accommodate 200 guests at any one time. The selection would always be identical in both restaurants on such occasions.
Room service is available to all of our guests and the charges are listed accordingly on the room service card and guest information booklet.
We genuinely thank you for your very detailed feedback and we will take on board your comments.

We hope to see you back to the hotel for another stay at some stage in the near future.
Warmest Regards