“Close to Dublin City” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Malahide
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Close to Dublin City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I recently stayed at the Grand Hotel in Malahide, County Dublin. From the moment we checked in, we felt that we were part of the hotel family. I would highly recommend this hotel to any traveler who wants to feel the sense of a true Irish welcome. The location is excellent for travelers who want to be able to visit the city and at the same time experiencing the tranquility of an Irish village.

Room Tip: Highly recommend that you ask for a executive room with a view of the harbour.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Grand Hotel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Malahide, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such a lovely comment. I am delighted to hear that you felt part of our hotel family. I would be honoured to pass on your kind remarks to the Staff at the Grand Hotel and I am sure they will join me in thanking you. I do hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back to Ireland very soon.

Warmest Regards

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Turkish first
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have stayed in the Grand very many times.

The Grand is a lovely gracious hotel. It is a place where one can relax. The view of the marina from the restaurant, the coastal walk, the busy village of Malahide all help to create a lovely stay.

As usual the rooms and bathrooms were spotless - the housekeeping staff do a great job! We asked for rooms near the lift as I was travelling with my elderly parents and we were allocated perfect rooms.

We had a 2 night dinner, bed and breakfast package. The dinner which we had on night one was very good. One word of warning though! When we were given our menus the waiter said ' Would you like still water or sparkling water?' Rather naively we thought that this was part of the package! The water was added to our bill - 5 euro 50. We would have been quite happy with tap water!

I don't think the breakfast is quite as good as it used to be. The bacon had a white residue on it - a sign of the bacon being of not so good quality. Certainly, when compared to a Hilton breakfast, there was much less choice. No yogurts, no apricots to put on top of cereals etc. However it was all piping hot.

As many other reviewers have commented, wifi is certainly an issue. There is no free wifi in the public areas........this needs to be urgently addressed. 15 mins free wifi goes very quickly and is not sufficient. It is not cheap to stay at this hotel and wifi ought to be available and free!

We also had a bit of a mix up at checkout time, with my parents being charged an extra 34 euro for a dinner they did not eat! They were also charged supplements for their choice of main course as part of the dinner package.......but the meals we chose did not have supplements! All was sorted easily enough though.

So will I be back........probably yes! But I do think that the management needs address one or two issues!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have stayed at The Grand Hotel twice now & can not fault it. Friendly Staff, Great Location & Nice Food. Malahide is a great town also with many restaurants & pubs. When I get the chance, I will stay for break instead of being on business.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Grand Hotel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Malahide, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for you very kind comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and intend on a return visit. We look forward to welcoming you very soon.

warrenpoint
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Booked this hotel on the website hotelsireland.com. Very reasonable rate. Receptionist was pleasant on check in. Room was very nice and clean with a lovely sea view.
We dined in the bar, the food was average. Had steak sandwich and my partner had a chicken burger, salad was bland.
Breakfast was average, selection was not great, no yoghurts and orange juice was just ok. Service was alright, staff were friendly. Malahide is beautiful in the summer time, the weather was good and we enjoyed out stay. All in all I would return to The Grand Hotel again

Room Tip: We stayed in a sea view room which was very clean and beautiful
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shelly-ann
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you would return to the Grand Hotel again and we look forward to welcoming you. It is always nice to hear how hospitable our staffs are here at the Grand Hotel.

I am sorry to hear that you found the bar food bland. I assure you we are always receiving very positive reviews on our new menu. I hope this is rectified on you next visit. I hope this did not affect your overall experience here at the Grand Hotel.

Oslo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

All in all a pleasant four nights stay at The Grand Hotel. Had a nice room overlooking the bay; very quiet and fresh air through the open windows. I really slept well in the comfortable bed. The room was spacious and clean - and the bathroom as well.

The hotel has a splendid location and the staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. I would especially mention Cecelia in the lobby, who - with a large smile - helped us organise a day trip.

What´s not so good? I would definitely find a mini bar in the room. And paying extra for the wifi these days is like paying extra for the power supply.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Executive wing.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Grand Hotel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Malahide, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your four night stay with us. I am delighted to read that you found your room so appealing. I would be happy to send on your regards to our Reception Manager Cecelia. I am sure she would join me in thanking you for your kind comments.

I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the Wi-Fi facilities. We have currently updated our WIFI to a new high speed system that is now accessible across the entire hotel. We offer all our guests a limited time for free each day, after this WIFI can be purchased at a very competitive €3 per hour or €5 for 3 hours. I do hope this did not affect the overall enjoyment of your stay.

I do hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back to Malahide in the future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

What a place to stay! - It had the location, the "wow" effect through from the lobby to the bedrooms and the breakfast was top class!
We were on a golfing break and played three courses that were all within 10 mins, and the 5min walk into Malahide will give you as many pubs as you want to finish off a great day at one of the fantastic Irish golf courses

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 365steven365
Grand Hotel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Malahide, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Steven,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Grand Hotel, and particularly liked your visit to Malahide. We are fortunate to be situated in a prime location to many championship Golf courses in the area, as well as a 5 minutes stroll into the bustling village of Malahide. I do hope we have the privilege of welcoming you and your golf colleagues back to the Grand hotel in the future.

Belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Hi All,

We had been recommended this hotel by lots of people and my wife had stayed before.
I decided to treat my wife to a relaxing weekend away and booked a superior room (this was 1 step down from the penthouse - but much cheaer).

My first impressions we great, a fine looking building, clean capark and entrance.
A stunning open lobby with seating area and nice little areas to sit with a drink/coffee and relax all what i had hoped for.

I checked in and was given directons to my room, which intailed approx a 5 min walk and 2 different lifts which was not straight forward, but no big deal.

We finally got to out room and it was slightly larger than a regular room (Guessing as i was never in a standard room) but had a large window cover nearly the whole wall which looked out over the sea and bay, it was a stunning view from the room, However the large window was dirty and dusty looked like it had not been cleaned in some time this took away from the view and brought me back to reality with a bit of a bang. I find it hard to fathom this has not been an issue before .

Anyway we relaxed on the bed and watched some tv, and unpacked. I was quite thirsty quickly looked around the room for access to a bar or bottles of water which i think should be provided in any hotel room and most certainly when your paying nearly 400 euros for two nights stay with one dinner.

Following this i went on to my phone to check if on the website if it mentions anything regarding a mini bar or complentary water. I tried to connect to the hotels WIFI and as i attempeted to to log on i was directed and asked to choose free 15mins or pay for access for 24hrs.

Im sorry but i dont think my expectations of a 4 Star hotel are to high, but McDonalds, Starbucks and most othr coffee shops/Bars give free wifi ad they charge a few pounds for their transactions. For me this is a Joke and the owners/management are just trying to squeese a few extra euros from each customer rather than looking after eeryone and getting much more repeat business.

After this i did not expect anything, i lefdt and went for a walk around Malahide which was stunning and purchased a few bottles of water, a bottle of wine and some snacks for the room.

I refused to spend any more money than nessary during my stay, I purchgased a bottle of wine with my dinner which was incleded in the package i bought, The food was nice (not stunning) the service the attentive, the restaurant was clean (so where te windows).

The breakfast was decent, i am not a fan of buffet breakfast but this one was slightly better than most.

The speedycheck out was fantastic, tere was a massive que at check out time and i just dropped my envelope into the box and walked out onmy way home.

Overall, This could be a GREAT HOTEL, it is set in a lovely town, that it self would attract lotys of people with some great bars and resaturants (I really recommend the Mexican near the sea front). I WILL NOT return to this hotel ntil they offer water in the rooms and have free WIFI inall areas for all guests.

Small things make a difference and i expected more.

Room Tip: It looks like the better room are a trek from reception so be careful when selecting.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time and effort to review your stay with us at the Grand Hotel. It is wonderful to hear that you found our hotel to be a fine building. I was also delighted to read that you found the breakfast in Coast Restaurant to your liking.

Our guest feedback is really important to us as it allows us to constantly review our standards and procedures. We appreciate that you took the time to bring these issues to our attention and will endeavour to rectify them. I do hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back to Malahide very soon.

Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malahide
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
Island View Hotel
#2 of 2 in Malahide
The Waterside House Hotel
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel

Been to Grand Hotel Malahide? Share your experiences!