“A pleasant stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Malahide
Oslo
“A pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

All in all a pleasant four nights stay at The Grand Hotel. Had a nice room overlooking the bay; very quiet and fresh air through the open windows. I really slept well in the comfortable bed. The room was spacious and clean - and the bathroom as well.

The hotel has a splendid location and the staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. I would especially mention Cecelia in the lobby, who - with a large smile - helped us organise a day trip.

What´s not so good? I would definitely find a mini bar in the room. And paying extra for the wifi these days is like paying extra for the power supply.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Executive wing.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Grand Hotel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Malahide, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your four night stay with us. I am delighted to read that you found your room so appealing. I would be happy to send on your regards to our Reception Manager Cecelia. I am sure she would join me in thanking you for your kind comments.

I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the Wi-Fi facilities. We have currently updated our WIFI to a new high speed system that is now accessible across the entire hotel. We offer all our guests a limited time for free each day, after this WIFI can be purchased at a very competitive €3 per hour or €5 for 3 hours. I do hope this did not affect the overall enjoyment of your stay.

I do hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back to Malahide in the future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

What a place to stay! - It had the location, the "wow" effect through from the lobby to the bedrooms and the breakfast was top class!
We were on a golfing break and played three courses that were all within 10 mins, and the 5min walk into Malahide will give you as many pubs as you want to finish off a great day at one of the fantastic Irish golf courses

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 365steven365
Grand Hotel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Malahide, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Steven,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Grand Hotel, and particularly liked your visit to Malahide. We are fortunate to be situated in a prime location to many championship Golf courses in the area, as well as a 5 minutes stroll into the bustling village of Malahide. I do hope we have the privilege of welcoming you and your golf colleagues back to the Grand hotel in the future.

Belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Hi All,

We had been recommended this hotel by lots of people and my wife had stayed before.
I decided to treat my wife to a relaxing weekend away and booked a superior room (this was 1 step down from the penthouse - but much cheaer).

My first impressions we great, a fine looking building, clean capark and entrance.
A stunning open lobby with seating area and nice little areas to sit with a drink/coffee and relax all what i had hoped for.

I checked in and was given directons to my room, which intailed approx a 5 min walk and 2 different lifts which was not straight forward, but no big deal.

We finally got to out room and it was slightly larger than a regular room (Guessing as i was never in a standard room) but had a large window cover nearly the whole wall which looked out over the sea and bay, it was a stunning view from the room, However the large window was dirty and dusty looked like it had not been cleaned in some time this took away from the view and brought me back to reality with a bit of a bang. I find it hard to fathom this has not been an issue before .

Anyway we relaxed on the bed and watched some tv, and unpacked. I was quite thirsty quickly looked around the room for access to a bar or bottles of water which i think should be provided in any hotel room and most certainly when your paying nearly 400 euros for two nights stay with one dinner.

Following this i went on to my phone to check if on the website if it mentions anything regarding a mini bar or complentary water. I tried to connect to the hotels WIFI and as i attempeted to to log on i was directed and asked to choose free 15mins or pay for access for 24hrs.

Im sorry but i dont think my expectations of a 4 Star hotel are to high, but McDonalds, Starbucks and most othr coffee shops/Bars give free wifi ad they charge a few pounds for their transactions. For me this is a Joke and the owners/management are just trying to squeese a few extra euros from each customer rather than looking after eeryone and getting much more repeat business.

After this i did not expect anything, i lefdt and went for a walk around Malahide which was stunning and purchased a few bottles of water, a bottle of wine and some snacks for the room.

I refused to spend any more money than nessary during my stay, I purchgased a bottle of wine with my dinner which was incleded in the package i bought, The food was nice (not stunning) the service the attentive, the restaurant was clean (so where te windows).

The breakfast was decent, i am not a fan of buffet breakfast but this one was slightly better than most.

The speedycheck out was fantastic, tere was a massive que at check out time and i just dropped my envelope into the box and walked out onmy way home.

Overall, This could be a GREAT HOTEL, it is set in a lovely town, that it self would attract lotys of people with some great bars and resaturants (I really recommend the Mexican near the sea front). I WILL NOT return to this hotel ntil they offer water in the rooms and have free WIFI inall areas for all guests.

Small things make a difference and i expected more.

Room Tip: It looks like the better room are a trek from reception so be careful when selecting.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time and effort to review your stay with us at the Grand Hotel. It is wonderful to hear that you found our hotel to be a fine building. I was also delighted to read that you found the breakfast in Coast Restaurant to your liking.

Our guest feedback is really important to us as it allows us to constantly review our standards and procedures. We appreciate that you took the time to bring these issues to our attention and will endeavour to rectify them. I do hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back to Malahide very soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

For the name of the grand and compared to the reception area I was very disappointed with my stay there.

I was in the old part of the hotel the room was very dated smelt a little and some of the wallpaper was off the wall not what i would expect from a hotel like the Grand

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Grand Hotel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Malahide, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to post a review on your recent stay at the Grand Hotel. I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay with us. We are constantly receiving the most positive feedback on our hotel décor so it is disappointing to hear of your experience. We appreciate that you took the time to bring these issues to our attention and will endeavour to rectify them.
We are currently working on renovating our rooms here at the Grand Hotel. I do hope that we may still have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Malahide in the near future.

Customer relations manager
Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night only but really enjoyed the hotel. Its old world but elegant. Lots of lovely quiet corners to sit and relax. Check in was quick and efficient. Executive rooms are very spacious and our room had wonderful views of sea. Very comfortable and quiet. Didn't eat in restaurant for dinner but breakfast was lovely with warm atmosphere and again lovely views. Easy walking distance to town of malahide. Would agree with previous reviews that free wifi should be available in guest rooms. Didn't visit leisure area so can't comment

Room Tip: Ask for executive room with sea views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Hotel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Malahide, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Grand Hotel with us. I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I do hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the Grand Hotel in the not too distant future.

Lisburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed for a couple of nights and found this place to be just so relaxing with excellent service. Had a 'special' deal for 2 nights BB and 1 evening meal. The room was seaward facing and just great, and the breakfasts and dinner served in the main restaurant was 5 star quality. Staff and service excellent, with lots of litlle bars and places to sit and enjoy a quiet drink. Will be back as soon as we can!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I am delighted to hear that you are planning a return visit to the Grand Hotel. I have passed on all your kind comments to the team here and they join me in thanking you. Keep an eye on Facebook for all our latest deals. We look forward to welcoming you back to Malahide very soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

I was really looking forward to having a sit down meal with my niece and her family as she had just completed her communion ceremony earlier on the sunday 11th May. It was also my birthday so I thought it was going to be a real treat. How wrong was I.
We were a table for ten including my nieces elderly Italian grandparents who had flown over specifically for the occasion.
We started the meal at 6pm but we were all waiting until 7.45pm for our coffee!!! Atrocious service.
The starter was okay vegetable soup. But the long long long wait between courses was so aggravating and took away from the dining experience. The main I picked was ravioli pasta. The muck that was placed in front of me. One word INEDIBLE.
To top it all off the bill was incorrect THREE times. We were charged for extra vegetables and a drink that had already been paid for??!.
Not what I expected from a prestigious hotel like The Grand Hotel. Poor service, poor food and poor result. AVOID.
P Flanagan

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank 1974Paul
Grand Hotel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Malahide, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Good Afternoon Mr Flanagan

I am very disappointed to read your comments . On the evening our restaurant manager did indeed deal with your complaint in regards the pasta dish . This was returned to the kitchen and two Chicken dishes were served to your table .

This is a main course that we have had on our menu for quite a while and it is very popular and I am very disappointed to learn that you were unhappy with it .

Our restaurant manager spoke to a lot of the guests on your table and there were indeed no other complaints . He offered you a complimentary drink and I am told that you accepted coffees and he was assured by your table that you were all happy .

I would like to assure you that our other guests were extremely happy with dinner on Saturday evening and we have received some lovely thank you emails.

Kind Regards

Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malahide
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
Island View Hotel
#2 of 2 in Malahide
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel
The Waterside House Hotel

Been to Grand Hotel Malahide? Share your experiences!