“Great Location Just Outside Dublin”

Grand Hotel Malahide
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Malahide
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our golf society stayed here for two nights near the end of a two week visit to Ireland. It is conveniently located near the Dublin Airport. We arrived late on a Monday afternoon and checked in with no problem; our three vans were parked out in front of the hotel (parking a van can be a problem in Ireland). We had arranged in advance for a "farewell" dinner in the dining room and some of us were running a tad late, but the staff was nice enough to delay the start by 30 minutes. The table we sat at was set beautifully and looked out on the harbor and a couple of golf courses on the other side of the harbor. The service was impeccable and the food was great. There are no standard sized rooms at this hotel; it appeared that each room was unique. All the rooms were large and well kept; however, they could use an upgrade. The price of the rooms was very good...for being just outside Dublin and being right on the water. Malahide itself is a lovely little town and seems quite vibrant. We were able to take the train to Dublin one afternoon, have an early supper and then see a concert at the O2 Theatre. We were able to catch the train back to Malahide and make the short walk back to the hotel. Most of us played The Island Golf Club the next day and discovered it was one of the courses directly across the harbour from the Grand Hotel Malahide. If our society every returns to Dublin we will definitely stay at this grand old hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sultan1950
Grand Hotel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Malahide, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Sultan1950,
Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We really do appreciate you taking the time to post it. I was delighted to read that the staff were accommodating to your wishes. We hope you enjoyed the Golf during your stay. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.
May I take this opportunity to wish you and your golf society all the best on your trip home; I thoroughly hope you enjoyed your two week stay in Ireland.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Great hotel and brilliant staff - stayed on 28th March 2013.

Really nice clean and spacious hotel, with good sized room and lots of bits and pieces provided for the traveller.

Had a sea view of Malahide, which adds to the benefits of staying at this hotel.

Malahide Town is a four minute walk away where there is a local train station that goes straight to Dublin at a very cheap cost. I love Irish railways with their free WIFI, England could learn something.

Hotel WIFI is an issue for me, they only provide 15 minutes free access then they charge you 10 Euros for 24hrs access. We went to a local bar and spent our Euros on Guinness instead.

When will hotels learn that we want free WIFI in this day and age?

The staff make a hotel and the Grand certainly has excellent and attentive staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a view that faces the Malahide Bay
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank hot70000000000000

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experiences with us. I am delighted to hear that you found our staff so hospitable and attentive. I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the views as much as we do. The views of the Marina and the Malahide coast can be quite breath-taking.

We have currently updated our WIFI to a new high speed system and offer all our guests a limited time for free each day, after this WIFI can be purchased at a very competitive €3 per hour or €5 for 3 hours.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you to stay again.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We had our sales meeting here in march 2013.
The hotel was great - meeting rooms and refreshments were excellent. The conference staff were very attentive and helpful.
Bedrooms were clean and comfortable - although mine was a little cold - probably as there was a snowstorm and gale outside.
Breakfast and lunch were of a great standard and service was very good.
Overall we were impressed by this hotel.
I have stayed in it many times and this was by far my best experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sharon w

Dear Sharon,

As a regular guest here at the Grand Hotel, it is great to hear your positive feedback. We thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide comments on your experience at the Grand Hotel. I am delighted that the staff in all the areas of the hotel looked after you so well and I have shared your comments with the team.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Grand Hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed here a few weeks ago for the weekend. We were part of a large group as can be the case, there were a few changes to rooms etc but throughout, the booking staff were friendly and professional.

Our room was a twin and was a good size. The hotel seems to have two parts and old part and a new part. The new part is much nicer.

We had breakfast in the coast restaurant both mornings and it was very good. All you would expect and want in terms of cooked breakfast and good pastries and fresh fruits.

I found the staff, without exception, to be very friendly and they seemed to be genuinely interested in us.

i will definitely return as Malahide itself is a gem of a village - boutiques, lovely restaurants, a great buzz and the newly opened avoca cafe in malahide castle is a delight.

Room Tip: I would suggest asking for a room in the new part of the hotel and try to get a sea view if you can.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Armaghgirl

Dear Armaghgirl,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay with us at the Grand Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to read that you had an enjoyable stay and got to experience our friendly staff. I was delighted to hear that they were able to accommodate your requests. I will pass on your kind comments to all the team.

We look forward to your return visit to the bustling town of Malahide.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We checked in Monday the 18th March 2013 and enjoyed this hotel so much that we extended our stay.
It was our first trip with our baby boy and i must say we had a ball from start to finish.
Before our arrival I had rang the hotel with a few queries and the staff were so friendly and helpful that the excitement of our trip was building.
On arrival we were not dissappointed.
The huge reception area was stunning and my baby boy could not take his eyes of the impressive chandeliers.
Reception staff were so welcoming and we even got checked into our room an hour early.
Our room was beautifull with classy decor, dark wood, cream walls, spotlessly clean, the most comfy beds, great room facilities and a stunning view.
We ate in the coast restaurant a few times, dinner and breakfast. It was lovely with beautiful pamoranmic views. Food was delicious and has the best soup I've ever tried. With having a chief in the family the food was of a very high standard. I must also mention Joey who was most helpful and friendly.
We really enjoyed the pool, again staff really friendly and down to earth. They even blew up my son's inflatable safey ring. The pool was beautiful and high hygiene standards throughout.
Parking facilities are excellent.
Location is fantastic and your minutes walk from the centre of the village.
As for other negative reviews I've just read, REALLY... are you sure yous checked into the same hotel as i could not fault a single thing and have not stopped talking to friends and family how wonderful it was since we returned.
Thanks to all staff for their hard work and most pleasant and friendly atmosphere.
We hope to return in the very near future.
R.McD

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Roisin M

Dear Roisin,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently on Tripadvisor and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I am delighted to read that you and your family are planning on returning to stay with us in the future. I only hope that stay is as memorable as your last.

I am glad that the staff across all areas of the hotel which you visited looked after you so well and I have shared your comments with the team.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

My friend and I stayed for one night Saturday the 23rd of March it was a present from my friend for my 50th birthday. To say it was a disappointment is a under statement.
The hotel it's self was not to warm on a very bitter cold day. The lay out of the hotel is very bad as you check in at a lovely modern reception area and then get lift to what seemed to a old part of hotel. Out room was a twin room very dull dark and looking out over flat roof tops to the back of hotel. Old fashion wardrobe and TV in room. The room did have tea/coffee and bathroom did have soaps / shower gels etc. On the way to our room we noticed paint peeling of the walls and ceiling. My friend had dinner booked for 8.00pm. We where shown to a table that was put up against a wall while there where free tables beside the window. My friend asked to be moved to one which the girl did give us one at window and a radiator beside it, which was not on. We placed out order and when my starter of duck came out it was over cooked and burned to a crisp. When the waitress asked how was it I explained could not eat it, there was no I am very sorry can I get you any thing else or even a sorry. Service staff are not trained in customer care or no attention to detail. We had dinner and we went back to our room at 10.30pm as there is no entertainment in the hotel.

My friend when making the booking had said it was a 50th birthday present.
We will not be returning or recommending this hotel to any one.
Over all the hotel and the staff need to look at the service and customer care.

B.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Benmadigan

Dear Benmadigan,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all it could have been. Our guest feedback is really important to us as it allows us to constantly review our standards and procedures. We appreciate that you took the time to bring these issues to our attention and will endeavour to rectify them.

It is disappointing that your room was not warm enough. I have spoken with our maintenance team who will double check our procedures. Please accept my sincere apologies that this took from the enjoyment of your stay with us.

I am sorry that you dinner was not up to standard, we usually receive really positive feedback on our Coast restaurant so it is disappointing to see that we did not deliver on those standards on this occasion. I have shared your feedback with our restaurant manager, poor customer service is not acceptable, I can assure that this is being addressed and I would like to thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We booked this hotel, as wanted somewhere close to Dublin but away from the hustle and bustle. A booked a three night stay - a good while before we went to the hotel, I emailed asking could we have a room with a sea view, we were told that they could not guarantee this but they would note it on our records and see what they could do on allocation. When we arrived at the hotel, we were behind another couple checking in. The receptionist was very polite to this couple and stated to them that she was going to upgrade them to an executive suite as "this was their first visit to the Grand". We then went to check in, there was a marked difference in the ladies attitude towards us ( i don't know why if it was because we were younger than the couple before or what) we were told that we could not get a room with a sea view. I just felt this was inconsistent with the couple that went before us. We were allocated to a room which overlooked the car park. When we arrived at our room, it was standard. Positives were that it was very clean and the housekeeping throughout our stat was excellent. Negatives were the air conditioning was not working in our room, there was a sign up saying that the hotel was aware of this and that they were sorry for the inconvience. This wasn't a problem on the first night but the second night and third the room was very warm and we could not keep the window open because of the weather - this resulted in a poor nights sleep.

Another negative it that the WiFi is not free but there is local cafes in Malahide that have free WiFi and are definitely worth a visit.

We ate in Matts bar - food was grand and great service.

Breakfast was poor - it was inconsistent and you need to go down early or else you are left with the leftovers. Fruit was fresh if you got down in time to get it. Cooked breakfast was really poor and porridge was awful.

The pool facilities are good and staff really pleasant - although you do need to bring or buy a swimming hat to use the pool. They cost 2 euros.

The hotel was close to Malahide - which is the most beautiful wee town - the people are friendly and the local cafes are great. Coast is def a must and a visit to Malahide Castle. The dart/train are near by and has a great service into Dublin.

The hotel could be alot better if it concentrated on the tiny details. There was alot of business people about and I feel this was represented in their approach. Malahide is great place to visit.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lilmizlisa

Dear Guest,

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Feedback is important and allows us to constantly review our standards and procedures. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed Malahide and its amenities. I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant experience in our leisure centre; your kind comments have been passed on to the leisure centre team.

Please accept our apologies for your experience at breakfast, which I can guarantee you is not the norm. Such feedback is important to us and can only help us to improve on such services on a busy breakfast morning.

I was sorry to hear of your experience on check in, it is standard procedure to allocate sea views on check in, however we do not accept poor customer service, and your comments have been brought to the attention of the reception manager who will endeavour to rectify them.

Warm regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Malahide
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel
The Croke Park
The Croke Park
#6 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Grand Hotel Malahide? Share your experiences!