“Disappointed!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Malahide
dungannon
“Disappointed!”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed here with my husband on 14/12/2012. It was only for one night as we had to do a pick up at the airport so was handy for the early morning. I had heard great things about this hotel and was looking forward to it but found that the room was not as expected. Bit dull and the tv was really old fashioned....small screen and large back with about 4 stations! Ran out of coffee and milk, (just had enough for 1 cup each) and when hubby went down and asked for some more was told to wait until morning and see the room cleaners for it! Ragin! Supposed to be 4*. And it was only 8.pm! Went down to check emails and found you had to pay 1euro for like 7 mins! Staff a bit on the abrupt side! Breakfast I found was cold. I couldn't warm to this hotel for some reason. My husband used the leisure facilities and found them excellent though. The decorations and flower arrangements were really nice too. Water pressure in the taps and shower was not very good,

I would not use this hotel again unless I was stuck...I would use the portmarnock or white sands in the same area instead.... at least they have 2 free computers for their guests to use and the food was hot and the showers had great pressure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Overall the hotel wasn't cosy, while our rooms were lovely the hotel in general was very cold.

We had a family gathering, 17+ for dinner, food was very poor, no manager or supervisor attended our table.

Regretfully it was the next morning before I could point out our disappointment, the food and service in the bar was excellent - we would have had a far better time had we simply dined there.

Rooms, pool/amenities and bar excellent everything else very disappointing.

One further point, the wines were very expensive and were not true reflections of sauvignon blanc and it is more than a little frustrating to taste 3 versions and find none of them to our liking!

I had to send to the bar to get some wine that met with the Birthday girls approval!!!

We will be back however we will dine in Malahide.

• Stayed November 2012
Qatar
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The service at breakfast was excellent and very efficient. Rooms were very spacious. The location was very central and Malahide village was a short walk as well as the beach which is right beside the hotel. I enjoyed the service in Matt Ryan's bar. For eating in Malahide, I recommend the Scotch Bonnet restaurant. Malahide lawn tennis club is very near the hotel and it was nice to watch the members playing.
The room was quite warm even with the windows open. I would suggest that the hotel offer some kind of light bedding instead of the heavy winter bedding which was supplied.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back facing the car park. We would have preferred to be at the front facing the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jackoIreland
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My parents stayed in this Hotel for two nights as a treat for my mothers birthday. Having called out to see them I was shocked at the appearance of the hotel, the rooms are in definite need of refurbishment. A small outdated tv, stains on the wallpaper where the radiator had leaked at some stage and the entire hallway and room stank of smoke. This is definitely not up to 4star standard. They said that the staff were all very pleasant and accomodating and that they had a very nice meal in the Hotel restuarant. However, on the second night of their stay they were awoke at 4am by noisey neighbours and despite ringing reception the disruption continued to 6am. Overall a disappointing stay, the Hotel has declined significantly.

Barendrecht
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for business. Wifi was very expensive. Desk was too high to work with a laptop. TV was very bad signal. Complained but nothing was done about it. Room service menu basic. Maze through corridors to get fron one part to the other. Nice location and views but don't expect too much of the rooms.

• Stayed August 2012
Randalstown, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have stayed at the Grand Hotel in Malahide many times with my wife and on each occasion had a wonderful time. I also have repeated my stays with friends and family on a few occasions. I am just back from a stay this weekend and was very disappointed with my time spent there. I stayed in room 272 and the bedroom was very very cold. I feel the hotel did not let the heat stay on long enough in the bedroom. My stay was from Friday 23rd Nov to Sunday 25th November 2012.
Whilst my two friends did stay with me in room 112 their room was fine and even stretched to being too warm.
My room was in the older part of the hotel but management need to reconsider their current policy regarding the switch on time for their heat in this wing of the hotel.
A disappointed customer.

Room Tip: check the up to date heating policy
1 Thank 1480271Sammy
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We have just had the most enjoyable three day break at the Grand Hotel. The hotel has the most wonderful position overlooking the sea in Malahiide.The staff are a credit to the hotel, from the minute you arrive until you are leaving they can not do enough to make your stay a pleasureable and enjoyable time. The rooms are well furnished and comfortable.The food is excellent and a varied choice on the menu. We intend to return and hopefully the weather will be as kind as on this visit 11deg C and sunny in November ,

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the sea
3 Thank Thomas M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malahide
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
Island View Hotel
#2 of 2 in Malahide
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel
Clayton Hotel Dublin Airport

Been to Grand Hotel Malahide? Share your experiences!