“New Year Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Malahide
Northern Ireland
“New Year Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Grand over the New Year. The service at the front desk booking in and out was very good, pleasant and helpful. The room was clean and for a change the carpet was clean, most hotels have clean room and stained carpets. The Restaurant evening food in the Grand is fantastic. The breakfast is good but I would like a choice of how I want my egg fried, theirs is, sunny side up and not always fresh. The person serving gave a strange look if I asked for one extra of something, I was asking for an extra piece of black pudding not his wallet.
I would not go back at New Year, as families tend to stay over that period and just let their children have the run of the reception and alcoves area, absolutely no peace or consideration, for,other guests staying there.
Would I go back, certainly and would recommend it to anyone, Not New Year, if you are not taking children. Great location for the Town and the City.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 200 numbered rooms and they were lovely
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Silverfox21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Turkish first
Offaly
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

I stayed here in February 2008 and although its a very nice hotel, the service left a lot to be desired the food was below par and the bar extension finished a little bit early(I was at a function and normally in most places its a 2 a,m. finished, this finished at 1.30.. The residents bar closed after a half hour. The function room also left a lot to be desired,as the seating was rather cramped. I've certainly been in better. Also when the food was served it wasn't fully cooked. A bit disappointing.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ASle_12
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

I recently enjoyed a lovely meal in the Coast restaurant here between Christmas and New Year's Eve with my 'other half'. The restaurant is nicely laid out and the tables aren't too close together, which means that, even if it's full, you don't automatically have to listen to your neighbours' coversation.

For the starter I had the duck leg, which was a little overdone, while my OH had smoked salmon, which was mediocre. However, the weakness of the starter was more than compensated by the main course. The lamb was cooked perfectly, as was the steak, and the accompanying veg and chips were also good. The desserts - a chocolate-orange torte and a pavlova - were also lovely.

The meal, which was a la carte, plus a bottle of sparkling water, 2 cokes, a cappuccino and an Irish coffee came in at about 95 euro. Not entirely cheap, but the food and service was good, and the staff friendly.

We didn't stay in the hotel so I can't comment on the accommodation, but if you are staying here I'd recommend having something to eat in the restaurant.

Belfast, Northern Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

The Grand is a welcoming friendly hotel located close to Malahide village less than 2 hours drive from Belfast. We have stayed there many times since first visiting in 1998, but this is the first time I have been inclined to comment. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to an Executive room and enjoyed a beatiful meal in the Restaurant on one of the evenings. A Table was booked by the Reception staff on request. Service and attention to detail in both the restaurant and the bar where we enjoyed lunch was first class. Staff would not pass you without saying hello or good day/evening, whatever the case may be. We sat in the foyer area in front of a roaring fire for a quiet drink and read the papers on the monday enjoying a relaxing afternoon followed by Tea & Sandwiches freshly made which were great value. All in all, we greatly enjoyed our latest visit to the Grand
Will we be back - you bet!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the bay!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Process14
Drogheda, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

Our room was very well furnished, the beds were comfortable and the selection of fruit and cereal at breakfast was the best I've seen in a while. The view of the estuary from our table really added to the atmosphere. The staff were exceptionally helpful, especially in the restaurant and I have to give thanks to the night porter for the jug of water at 4am!

1 Thank pmaxon
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

We stayed at The Grand Hotel Malahide this week. Overall it was a good experience - even though we only spent a very short time at the hotel. The hotel is situated close to the centre of Malahide - just a few minutes walk to train station, restaurants etc.

The hotel has 2 entrances - one is quite old world and the other is really modern - so it really was a hotel of 2 halves (in more ways than one). Reception/check in area was really modern and newly refurished/extended I would imagine. The rest of the hotel is a little bit dated. Maybe it's the seaside location - but there is a distinct mouldy smell all round the hotel. Our room on 1st floor was very nice - we really couldnt have asked for more. Room was large and the beds were comfy. They supplied plenty tea/coffee/biscuits and toiletries etc. in abundance.

I would offer one piece of advice - we booked directly with the hotel - and got a very good rate. I also requested an extra bed in the room - which they charged us €10 for. Other booking sites eg hotels.com, Expedia etc. would not allow us to do this. If we tried to enter more than 2 persons it would not take the booking. An email to the hotel directly sorted it.
I feel it would be a very good alternative to some of the souless airport hotels. A short taxi ride to Dublin airport costs approx. €18.
All in all a very nice central hotel in a really pretty location.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Martina O
Braintree, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2011

Thank you to the staff of The Grand for a wonderful stay at your hotel. I wanted to share a few things that I hope will reach the senior management team.
• I arrived on Sunday, November 27th very early in the morning but was greeted by a helpful smile from a kind gentleman behind the desk.
• During my stay, I had a medical issue and I cannot express how appreciative I am for the thoughtful treatment that I received. One of the managers (I apologize but I believe it was Dave) made it a point to visit me in my room to check on me and discuss my options for medical care. He was available to me to make arrangements for a taxi to the hospital and was reassuring that I would be fine. This was particularly important since I was in a foreign place with no family with me. It appeared that the front desk staff was also aware of the situation and I was often asked how I was feeling.
• One of the best meals I had during my stay was at the Coast. The salmon was superb and the service second to none.
• I discovered upon my return that I had left a watch in my room. In the United States, it is rare, if ever, that a lost item is recovered for the owner. Within 24 hours, I learned that my watch had been found and would be placed in the mail. I received the watch within a week and a half.

I wanted to express my sincere gratitude for a wonderful stay in spite of some difficulties. I fell in love with the people from Ireland and your staff certainly lived up to the what I had anticipated about the Irish.

The rooms were very clean and extremely comfortable and the staff more than accommodating.

I would definitely return to this hotel if I ever return to the Dublin area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank LBC2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malahide
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
Island View Hotel
#2 of 2 in Malahide
The Waterside House Hotel
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel

Been to Grand Hotel Malahide? Share your experiences!