“Nice Hotel”

Grand Hotel Malahide
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Malahide
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We stayed at The Grand Hotel Malahide this week. Overall it was a good experience - even though we only spent a very short time at the hotel. The hotel is situated close to the centre of Malahide - just a few minutes walk to train station, restaurants etc.

The hotel has 2 entrances - one is quite old world and the other is really modern - so it really was a hotel of 2 halves (in more ways than one). Reception/check in area was really modern and newly refurished/extended I would imagine. The rest of the hotel is a little bit dated. Maybe it's the seaside location - but there is a distinct mouldy smell all round the hotel. Our room on 1st floor was very nice - we really couldnt have asked for more. Room was large and the beds were comfy. They supplied plenty tea/coffee/biscuits and toiletries etc. in abundance.

I would offer one piece of advice - we booked directly with the hotel - and got a very good rate. I also requested an extra bed in the room - which they charged us €10 for. Other booking sites eg hotels.com, Expedia etc. would not allow us to do this. If we tried to enter more than 2 persons it would not take the booking. An email to the hotel directly sorted it.
I feel it would be a very good alternative to some of the souless airport hotels. A short taxi ride to Dublin airport costs approx. €18.
All in all a very nice central hotel in a really pretty location.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Martina O

Reviewed December 14, 2011

Thank you to the staff of The Grand for a wonderful stay at your hotel. I wanted to share a few things that I hope will reach the senior management team.
• I arrived on Sunday, November 27th very early in the morning but was greeted by a helpful smile from a kind gentleman behind the desk.
• During my stay, I had a medical issue and I cannot express how appreciative I am for the thoughtful treatment that I received. One of the managers (I apologize but I believe it was Dave) made it a point to visit me in my room to check on me and discuss my options for medical care. He was available to me to make arrangements for a taxi to the hospital and was reassuring that I would be fine. This was particularly important since I was in a foreign place with no family with me. It appeared that the front desk staff was also aware of the situation and I was often asked how I was feeling.
• One of the best meals I had during my stay was at the Coast. The salmon was superb and the service second to none.
• I discovered upon my return that I had left a watch in my room. In the United States, it is rare, if ever, that a lost item is recovered for the owner. Within 24 hours, I learned that my watch had been found and would be placed in the mail. I received the watch within a week and a half.

I wanted to express my sincere gratitude for a wonderful stay in spite of some difficulties. I fell in love with the people from Ireland and your staff certainly lived up to the what I had anticipated about the Irish.

The rooms were very clean and extremely comfortable and the staff more than accommodating.

I would definitely return to this hotel if I ever return to the Dublin area.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank LBC2012
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I may have reviewed the Grand Hotel before as I stay here offen on business... but last weekend I resided with friends for pleasure.

The Grand Hotel continues to offer an excellent level of service. The restaurant in perticuary good with it's excellent Dinner and Breakfast service.

Based on service, it's central location, comfort and facilities... I'd consider this accommodation good value for money.

I will continue to use The Grand Hotel when staying in The Greater Dublin area.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed November 28, 2011

NIce hotel great location a few minutes walk from the station and 24 minute train ride to central Dublin. Restaurant a mite pricy but bar food very reasonable. Rooms clean and comfortable. Pool and gym are excellent

Room Tip: pick one overlooking estuary
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Stayed for two nights in the Grand - lovely setting and area, 2 mins walk to centre & lovely walk along the seafront to marina or to beach - large hotel and it can be a bit of a walk to old section of hotel but plenty of lifts - large comfortable bed. One down side is very small shower with haging curtain. Leisure centre clean and plenty of room and amenities - friendly staff. Lovely food and early bird menu available in restaurant - could not fault Staff in restaurant very nice and friendly, had one year old just starting to walk and wanted to be every where and seeing everthing, staff very nice to her. Would come again.

Room Tip: Room 203 great views and very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank badgerIrl_
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Literally just came back this afternoon and very dissappointed in my stay. Our executive room smelt musty and our sea view was a small window to the side. The carpet had been laid really badly and there were numerous wires hanging down at the back of the table which was an eyesore. Although the beds were comfortable the heating came on in the early morning and I was awoken to the pipes banging and clanging as they heated up and again an hour later when they cooled down - therefore no sleep. When I had showered and attempted to dry my hair the hair dryer wouldn't work. I called reception and they advised they would send one up immediately. 10 mins later someone came up to check it wasn't working?! and advised they would get me a hairdryer. Off they went but after 20 mins had still not returned. At this point my hair had dried on its own so I went down to breakfast which was merely average. The queue at the toaster was a joke. Would not recommend.

Room Tip: Avoid old part of the hotel - musty and very badly laid out.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Was gone Stay in the hotel for 9 days. The funiture was dirty, the rooms where smelly. And the price was high. After 3 days I simply could not stick it anymore and found another hotel. The food in the resturant was ok, but expect more from a hotel in this standard. They try their best but the staff is simply not good enough, the reception personel was the worse. No knowledge at all about place and had no flexebility at all. And to top it all of they wanted 10 euro a night for the broadband. No never again, will I put my foot in that hotel. I dont know who rated this place, but I think its time to visit again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank Eric551
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malahide
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel
The Croke Park
The Croke Park
#6 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Grand Hotel Malahide? Share your experiences!