“Second Time Around”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I reviewed this establishment a few months ago and as my wife and I were in the area we decided to give it a second go as on our first experience we were well pleased and as this was our wedding anniversary I had hoped it would be special. We had booked for 7.30 and we were promptly greeted by a lovely waitress who seated us in a small 2 seater table yet that whole evening only had 4 couples so a larger table would have been preferred however no worries. We perused the menu and we both had fish dishes and mine was a small piece of Cod hidden by green balls of potato which to be honest did nothing for the dish only to hide the gorgeous white color of a nice piece of fish but at 23 euros was a bit steep. My wife however had the fish of the day Sea Bream good but quite expensive at 24 euros that said we both decide to have a dessert between us and we plumped for the lemon Creme Brulee this for me was a complete nightmare far far too much lemon a creme brulee the size of a 50p piece and a Bavarois wrapped in sprinkles that I can only describe as nothing I have ever tasted before and hope I never will again not a dessert ever to be attempted by either of us again. I have to say that I was very disappointed by this experience and may wait a very long time before spending 60 euros on a meal that was very forgettable.

1  Thank Worldwideireland

Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Spent an evening here with a group of friends for a Xmas night out. Very friendly staff and good food. I'll be back

Reviewed December 24, 2013

I had dinner in this restaurant this evening Christmas Eve where I have eaten before on a few occasions. Our table was reserved for 5.30pm. When we arrived we were left standing in the way for about 10mins although there were tables available. Having studied the restaurant we decided to have the "early bird" which seemed nice and we were well within the time frame!! When we went to place our order we were advised that this menu was not available as it was Christmas Eve - bad move!! Two of our group wanted loin of pork which was on the early bird but not on the a la carte, after checking with the kitchen we were advised that it was available but surprise, surprise it was priced at a price that was not on display!! I live within a few hundred yards of this restaurant but I will not be returning. We have so many excellent restaurants in our beautiful village why would you want to be treated like that?

1  Thank baldwinpaula6
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I visited nautilus in malahide recently with friends. The staff are efficient and friendly. The food is nice but a bit on the expensive side. The early bird a much more reasonable price. I would go back but for early bird.. The restaurant tended to be noisy when full making it difficult to hear conversation.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

My wife and I had dinner with an other couple on a Friday evening. Restaurant is Upstairs - bright and I would imagine has nice views over the estuary (it was dark when we arrived) The restaurant was surprisingly only half full on a friday evening.
The service is good and the menu reads well. Overall the food is good and nicely presented but needs to pack a bit more punch from a flavour point of view. I would have given 4 stars but one starter was a write off - it consisted of cured seatrout served with potatoes and dill "al dente" - Not sure if the potatoes were meant to be so underdone but raw / undercooked potatoes are always a NO NO !