“Great food in stunning location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Greedy Goose

The Greedy Goose
Ranked #4 of 53 Restaurants in Malahide
Cuisines: Irish, European, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dublin
“Great food in stunning location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Had the early bird menu here recently. Great value. The choice of dishes was great. Each was a smaller size than expected but was beautifully presented and delicious. Thai fish cakes, chicken/bacon/clonakilty pudding and fish and chip salad. Too stuffed for desert. A good glass Malbec washed down a great meal. Wonderful window views over the bay. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Piece of magic in malahide. Will be back again!

Visited July 2014

Dublin, Ireland
“Superb and Scrumpious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

I ate in the Greedy Goose last week as a party of seven. From the moment of arrival we were greeted by very pleasant staff and shown to a lovely table overlooking the sea. Most of us have dined in the Greedy Goose before, however the waitress ensured we were familiar with the menu before leaving us to study the menu. The choices are endless. We all opted for three courses, and despite the restaurant being full to capacity, the timing was perfect between courses. I had the crab claws, which were absolutely amazing, followed by the aubergine rolls and the lamb. Both equally amazing. The waitress also recommended our white wine, which I have to say was delicious. It was a french sauvignon. All in all all of our party would highly recommend the Greedy Goose and look forward to many more visits.

• Visited July 2014
Dublin
“Well recommended , fab food ! ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

First time here.

Took a while to figure out the concept of plates and jn my head I imagined they would be small .
I ordered 3 plates .
Fish cakes - fab good size!
Chicken wrapped in bacon , lovely ! Not bad size
Deep fried beef , ok prob not my cup tea but again bit bad size .
Overall the dishies are lovy , service good but it was early and price ok .
Would definitely go back !
Only problem very very warm in restaurant need air con or open windows !

1 Thank paul649
Dublin, Ireland
“Big Disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

I am in shock that the standards here have dropped so low. I've been here about five times before my most recent visit and have always enjoyed the food and service. I went last Sunday with my parents for my Dad's birthday. The menu has changed since the last time and the choice is nowhere near as good. The food and flavours are very basic at best.

But the biggest shock of the visit is that my mother found a hair in her first course (Cashel cheese). It was absolutely disgusting and was sent back. However, because we had been before, we felt it may have just been an accident and asked for a new one. The waiter never even said sorry as he took the dish away, in fact he barely made eye contact. A new dish came and, unbelievably, another hair was found. As my mom had just cut into one of the three balls, I genuinely believe that they just replated the two that were untouched along with a new one and the hair was transferred to the new dish in the process. She called the waiter over again, which was difficult as he seemed to be avoiding us. When he did come over, she showed him the plate where the hair was visible. Again without saying anything he took the plate away.

Before the kitchen there is a counter and it was here that the waiter, in full view of the entire restaurant, took the hair and started to examine it. It was absolutely disgusting behavior that would have impacted on anyone who saw it. He went into the kitchen with the hair and showed it to the chefs. There is a big window at the kitchen so again the whole restaurant could see this.

The waiter returned a little later to inform my mother he did not know how the hair got there. We were in shock, did that mean all dishes might have this mysterious hair? The hair was long and blonde and as I have long hair, not blonde though, the waiter seemed to feel it belonged to me. However I was nowhere near my mothers food as I was sitting diagonally across the table. It was appalling to think that instead of finding the culprit in the kitchen they were satisfied to feel they had resolved the situation my claiming ignorance.

The food used to be very flavorsome and absolutely delicious. This is no longer true. I used to always want more of everything I ordered and now can honestly say that I was struggling to finish the meal. But the waiters statement on the hair definitely impacted on this.

I did not order dessert but my Dad did. It was some sort of caramel and apple combination yet when it arrived just looked like a blob of brown liquid sugar. Very sickly.

When the bill arrived, we were charged full price for my mothers dinner, even though it had been inedible. A new waitress told us she wasn't going to charge for my dad's dessert because of the hassle of my mothers dinner. For the restaurant this was the cheaper option and just proved the restaurant did not value our custom and perception of the restaurant as they should not have charged for my mothers dinner at all.

The waitress then had the nerve to ask if we wanted to tip, and before waiting for a reply hit yes on the credit card hand held device. When my mother said no, the waitress took the card out of the machine, hit it against the table and then re-inserted it. Basic manners by staff do not seem to exist any more here.

Overall, the worst dining experience I had ever had.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank ClaireMSB
“5 Stars”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

Had the three course tasting menu and was very pleasantly surprised by the quality, freshness, preparation and presentation of the food.
We were not left waiting very long between courses by very attentive, quick and freindly staff who were rushed off thier feet in a crowded busy restaurant. Despite this nothing was too much trouble for them.
Also pleasantly surprised when the bill arrived as this was very reasonably priced. A meal such as this in central Dublin would probably cost at least twice as much.

I cant recommend this place highly enough.

Visited June 2014