“Great value, great location, and friendly staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of White Sands Hotel

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Portmarnock
Unknown
“Great value, great location, and friendly staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2011

I had been trying to get a flight out of Dublin last December after many of my flights being canceled due to snow and weather. After my plane had been delayed I wanted to get away from the city center and stay somewhere quite and near the airport and this place was recommended to me. It is set in a beautiful location right next to the water and within walking distance of Portmarnock and a short cab or bus ride to the city center. Upon arrival I went to the check in desk and they told me it was going to be 49 Euros a night, and in Dublin 49 Euros usually doesn't go very far so I wasn't expecting much, I was wrong. I walked up to my room and it was huge and had a very comfortable queen sized bed. The hotel also has an attached bar with very friendly locals I even got invited to a families Christmas party in the hotel bar after they heard I had been stuck in Dublin for a few nights but I ended up making it out the next day. The hotel also has an attached night club, I was by myself and I usually wouldn't go to a night club alone but I thought I would stay for just a beer or two. The club was filled with locals and just like every other person I met in Dublin were very friendly and eager to make conversation with me. If I ever make it to Dublin again which I plan to I will be staying here again the staff was very helpful and attentive and I really liked the location.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank aj58

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

I stayed here for one night with my boyfriend. We were there with a larger group for one member of the groups 21st birthday.
When we arrived the staff on the front desk were very helpful and nice can't fault them, but we very quickly learned that there were problems with the heating. We complained to the manager that some of the rooms and the function room in which the 21st was been held was broken. We complained to the staff and the hotel manager and they did very little to help us at all.
The hotel was so cold people were walking around with their hat's and coats on indoors everyone could see their own breath it was so so cold, to make it worse the weather outside was very heavy snow.
Breakfast the next morning was good was really nice except for the coffee first was served cold them when we asked for it to be hotter we got back what resembled a mug of tar.
Overall a unpleasant stay but the staff on the front desk where nothing but lovely

• Stayed November 2010
Port Angeles, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

...but I would not stay again. I just needed a place to hole up near the airport before flying back to the U.S., and it looked like a good deal. I suspect a once-great hotel overextended during the boom, and is struggling badly now. The man at the desk took an obvious call from a vendor looking for a late cheque, while I waited to check in -- couldn't that be handled in a back office at least? A noisy local sports bar cannot be mixed into a good hotel -- these are generally incompatible uses, and the ruckus made sleep impossible till closing. It could work, if they kept the drunks inside, instead of stumbling around in the patio and the car park. The hotel's "new wing" is a specious fake -- all edgy ultramodern, but poor design & workmanship, and minor maintenance is not getting done. I'd rather have enough pillows, than stylish ones. The room was pretty clean, but not the gleaming spotlessness I found in the other 5 various places I stayed. The glam water feature in the courtyard was broken down -- so what's the point? -- and the landscaping looked abused and neglected. At evening meal in the Oasis Bar, the waitress would not bring a soft drink from the bar itself, I had to get up and get that myself. Dinner itself and the breakfast next day were decent, but the morning coffee was the worst I have ever paid for. Ya know, everyone else in Ireland has learned how to make great coffee -- what's the problem? Clean the percolator, at least. This place provided the only ungraciousness I experienced during my 2 week stay in IRL. White Sands has a fabulous location on the Portmarnock beaches -- all the makings of a great house -- but it sure needs some hospitality lessons and leadership.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank rschndr

Travelers are raving about these Portmarnock hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

We found the staff very helpful and pleasant, the setting where the hotel is situated was breathtaking, but the hotel is badly in need of a good spruce up and clean. overall we were disapointed to what we arrived down to after looking on their website.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

Let me start by saying that i would not let a dog stay in this filthy dump. The room had blood on my sheets and smelt musty. The resaturant called Mad Fish was closed on a saturday night and no staff member could tell me why and they did'nt seem to care. I went into the bar for a drink, and there was no food there either, within five minutes a very rude person told me to move from the tv as there was boxing on!!!!!!!! disgraceful for a hotel bar. The nightclub smelt of sour milk and the toilets were filthy and unattended for all of the night with urine all over the floor. There was also broken bottles and glass everywhere in the toilets. The staff overall were rubbish I asked the bar person about the toilet and asked if I could see the manager and was told that he was too busy to deal with any complaints! charming. I would'nt have minded so much if the place was very busy but it was'nt i left and went to the Wright Venue in Swords and had a fab time and a great experience all the staff there are true professionals.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank woodie52
Armagh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2010

We stayed in the White Sands on Sat Jun 5 2010. The very first thing to impress us was the attentive and considerate manner of the Hotel Manager (who was on the desk as we arrived). He answered our every question professionally and courteously.

The room was in the new building to the rear - it had a partial sea-view and was spotlessly clean . The bed was comfortable and the tv had plenty of channels. Tea/Coffee facilities were welcome and there was more than enough milk , sugar , tea and cffee (something you do not get in a lot of hotels).

Whilst we did not eat breakfast in the hotel (we eat light in the morning) we did have a carvery lunch on the following day and it was outstanding. You will definitely require a car (as you do on most breaks !!)

We will return !

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2010

The good bits: The hotel is on the 102 bus route from Dublin airport but this service is not frequent at unsocial hours, therefore I recommend a car. There is plenty of parking space. The hotel is beside the sea and the views are lovely. The Portmarnock/Malahide area is a very nice and safe. The staff were pleasant towards me. The room was comfortable although the "double bed" was two singles pushed together. The room and ensuite were impeccably clean. I love when tea/coffee facilities are provided - so many hotels in Ireland scrimp on this basic need. The TV has all the important channels including several Sky Sports ones.
The bad bits: The rooms are not very soundproof. Some of the carpets need to be replaced. A splash of paint is needed on the front facade. There is a nightclub attached to the hotel - you have been warned.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portmarnock
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#4 of 153 in Dublin
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,664 reviews
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel

Been to White Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!