“EXCELLENT VALUE FOR MONEY”
Review of White Sands Hotel

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Portmarnock
Reviewed June 8, 2010

We stayed in the White Sands on Sat Jun 5 2010. The very first thing to impress us was the attentive and considerate manner of the Hotel Manager (who was on the desk as we arrived). He answered our every question professionally and courteously.

The room was in the new building to the rear - it had a partial sea-view and was spotlessly clean . The bed was comfortable and the tv had plenty of channels. Tea/Coffee facilities were welcome and there was more than enough milk , sugar , tea and cffee (something you do not get in a lot of hotels).

Whilst we did not eat breakfast in the hotel (we eat light in the morning) we did have a carvery lunch on the following day and it was outstanding. You will definitely require a car (as you do on most breaks !!)

We will return !

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 27, 2010

The good bits: The hotel is on the 102 bus route from Dublin airport but this service is not frequent at unsocial hours, therefore I recommend a car. There is plenty of parking space. The hotel is beside the sea and the views are lovely. The Portmarnock/Malahide area is a very nice and safe. The staff were pleasant towards me. The room was comfortable although the "double bed" was two singles pushed together. The room and ensuite were impeccably clean. I love when tea/coffee facilities are provided - so many hotels in Ireland scrimp on this basic need. The TV has all the important channels including several Sky Sports ones.
The bad bits: The rooms are not very soundproof. Some of the carpets need to be replaced. A splash of paint is needed on the front facade. There is a nightclub attached to the hotel - you have been warned.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 18, 2010

Its a while ago now but the abiding memory of my wedding day is the manager of the hotel interrupting the wedding asking to see us and then proceeding to verbally attack my new husband and I because four additional unexpected guests showed up to the event. I was mortified. They insisted on additional payment which was not an issue but the way in which this was tackled was horrendous. Inexcusable, Should never have happened.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank emeralds
Reviewed April 21, 2010

When I was checking in at 8.30pm, I didn't realise that I was at that time enjoying the best part of my stay in the White Sands. 20mins later I had checked out again.

I drove 3hrs, and needed a comfortable armchair and some food. At At 8.50pm I was informed that there was no food, and that I could go to a nearby restaurant. Sorry, I stay in hotels so that I don't have to go out.

And you have to pay for broadband!

Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank johndmcg
Reviewed March 22, 2010

If you like the ocean, bus rides, and friendly staff....stay here! This hotel was clean, safe, and I had a great view. Granted the window was small, I wish it had been larger to enjoy the ocean view, but it was a nice place. Great room service. It was raining Ireland style and I did not have an umbrella, so the hotel offered me one to use. It was very accomodating. The bus stop was just down the street and the ocean was just across the street. They had a live outdoor concert at the time and they have a pub/restaurant in the hotel. The breakfast was fantastic as well.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2010

My mom and I spent our first two nights in The Sands Hotel in Portmarnock. We really liked it. The hotel is about a 7 min walk from my inlaws. Also if you need any snacks, grocery or pharmacuetical items Spar is across the road from the hotel and a few minute walk up you will find Dunnes grocery and McCartan's Pharmacy. Rooms very cozy, beds were very comfortable, and staff were very hospitable.

Lauren

• Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank Travelgirl930
Reviewed August 9, 2009

I stayed in the White Sands, Portmarnock because of the location. It was close to friends that live nearby and also a very nice view of the water and the beach.
The room was clean and everything that did not work properly was quickly remidied (door key didnt work right the second day and dead batteries in the tv remote).
There is a night club but it did not bother me at all as I was out and about most evenings. The staff was quiet and courtieous and I had to add two additional night stays and they were very accomidating with that. The only complaint was once the cleaning lady came bursting in while we were asleep when the 'do not disturb' sign was on. I did not complain to the staff because it didnt happen again and i think she just was thinking we left the sign on by mistake. The last night of my stay was the only night I was not happy. I had to break out the earplugs because there was a huge party in the nightclub with about 150 cars going round and people screaming and yelling and acting rowdy. granted its a nightclub but i had to get up at 6 am that next morning so i broke out the earplugs and slept terribly anyway. Well, I should be thankful because i slept on the plane for 3 hours on the way home due to the lack of sleep the night before. It sounded like 1,000 seagulls but it was the people at the nightclub at 4 am. it was not like this every night so I assume this was a sort of big party that you would not have going on every week. I would stay there again, but I would not book an early morning flight again. a plus was they gave me a seaview hotel in the front. It was pretty.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portmarnock
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
6 mi away
Clontarf Castle Hotel
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#3 of 150 in Dublin

Been to White Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!