“Joke of a hotel”
Review of White Sands Hotel

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Portmarnock
Reviewed July 4, 2011

was at a 40th birthday party and when party was just finishing we went in next door to the disco tamangos but were rudely refused so we went back into the hotel as theres nothing else around but the bar had shut so we asked where the residents bar was but they dont have one ??? So unless your an oap and want a early night avoid .. Wont be back ..

• Stayed: July 2011
4  Thank silverter

Reviewed June 29, 2011

Stayed here with a large group of friends for a couple of nights. The hotel doesn't look particularly impressive from outside but has a nice, clean, light lobby.

The room we stayed in was fine, a view of another building at the back and a perfectly functional bathroom. Soap/shampoo provided looked a bit cheap and the TV was a bit old fashioned (not flat/plasma screen) but the place seemed clean.

Breakfast in the morning was average - cooked breakfast self-served from a trolley arrangement. The only ordered part; coffee and toast, was fine but service was slow - we had to seek someone out to order coffee on the first day and felt ignored.

The bar seemed pretty lively and was cheaper than a lot of the other bars we visited in Dublin.

Overall, it served as a fine base for us and wasn't too expensive but wouldn't pick it for a luxury break or a romantic weekend.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2011

we enjoyed a family wedding at the white sands, the food was lovely and the room was beautifully decorated nothing was to much trouble for the staff, located on the coast we could not fault it. We hope to stay longer next time.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I arrived at the hotel with my partner and two other couples. We checked in and went to the room it was nice but maybe a bit overpriced at a hundred and twenty euro because it had a jacuzzi. We went to the hotel for the simple reason that it was my birthday and we wanted to try somewhere different and the niteclub was next door so it seemed a good idea. We had a couple of drinks in the bar before getting ready to go out. when we went to the niteclub at eleven we were told to come back in ten minutes as it wasn't open at that time. We went back in ten minutes we were all sober and had our I.D and were told we couldnt get in because we weren't members. We told them we were staying in the hotel and showed our room card but were told no and to go to the Wright's venue which is a good distance away from the hotel. When we tried to speak again the doorman told us to stop talking to him as he was trying to eat an eclair sweet!! They were very rude and we were under the impression that if were were staying in the hotel it wouldn't be a problem to get into the club as it states in the hotel information book in the room that residents could get entry free of charge, which really should not be in the book if you have to be a member to be allowed in. We went back into the hotel bar and were told the bar was closing at half twelve at this time it was half eleven. After all the effort we went through and the money we spent all I wanted to do at that stage was go to bed. We went into reception to talk to a manager and were told no manager would be available till seven the next morning and come back them. We informed the porter that we were willing to leave and go home and he told us to wait and talk to the manager and ask for a refund. We went to bed. We had paid an extra ten euro for breakfast to be delivered to the room at half nine the next morning and by twenty to eleven no breakfast arrived and when i went to reception to complain i was told that it should be around in a while. I told the girl that i just wanted to cancel breakfast and leave the hotel because the whole stay was a complete disaster. I asked to see the manager before i left and was told that no manager works weekends and i would have to wait till monday morning. I just gave up at that stage and left the hotel at eleven in the morning very unhappy that my birthday was completely ruined. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and i will never go back to it again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank barbarad114
Reviewed February 20, 2011

we were welcomed by anne at recepetion very friendly nothing was a problem to her we all had a good night plenty of food and drink breakfast was first class cant wait to get back andy and evelyn

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank andy445040
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Stayed in The White Sands Hotel with my partner for Valentines Weekend and i must say we had a fantastic time. From the moment we arrived and saw the beautiful view of the sea we knew this hotel was very special. The receptionist was lovely and couldnt have been more helpful. We were given a very spacious and well appointed room over looking Portmarnock Strand and Howth Head. We watched the rugby on the big screens in the bar and the atmosphere was electric. Great pints and great food and most of all great staff.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2011

I have just spent a night in the hotel and to be honest I would not recommend the premises to anyone.
I arrived to be greeted quite pleasantly but it went downhill from there. When the staff member checked our reservation he made a phone call to a colleague and asked if the Lidl guests were to be offered the same menu as the pigsback guests. The person on the other end of the line obviously didn’t understand him so he reiterated in an annoyed voice . He got the answer and returned his attention to us. He handed us our keys and told us where are room was and I asked where the restaurant was. I was told where it was and told that we would have to be down before 10 as the kitchen closes at 10 and there is “only one chef on and that he was going between a function upstairs and the restaurant and he gets annoyed if we ask him to do too much”.
We went to our room and noticed on the way there that the part of the hotel it was in was not heated but the rest of the hotel was, also there was an unpleasant smell in some parts of the hotel. The room was lovely nicely appointed apart from the “view” of the car park!
We decided to go for dinner then and went to look for the restaurant. We could only find a bar and asked where the restaurant was and was told that this was it!!! We found a table in the bar. The table was about 2 foot in circumference but it was the only choice as there was a group of rowdy lads in one corner of the room. It was Valentines weekend and I was expecting a little bit of an effort on the part of the hotel but no. I was presented with a plastic menu with 3 choices on it. I told the waitress that we were told we could choose from the standard menu so she gave us this (we would not know this only for the fact we over heard the conversation of the staff members). She gave us the menu and we ordered. We ordered our steaks medium.. We were not offered a drink and had to go up to the bar to get a drink which took an age as there was very few staff on duty. We waited a long time for our meal longer than was acceptable to be honest. Our starters were eventually brought down to us which was dried out chicken wings with wilted celery sticks the ends of which looked as though they had been cut a few days previously as they were black. We were so hungry we ate them they were tasty but dried out as I said. Just as I had eaten the last bite of my starters the waitress took our plates and another waiter brought our steaks no gap in between. There was no veg offered to us. We had to ask for our pepper sauce which was included in the meal. We were brought out a ramekin dish of gravy with some peppercorns in it. It was in no way pepper sauce. I was asked was the small ramekin dish sufficient I said no so was brought out a sloppy soup dish of sauce, no gravy boat!!!!
I cut into my steak and it was like a piece of shoe leather totally overcooked. My husbands was cooked OK. The chips were dried out reheats. Not great to be honest. Every time I cut into the steak my plate fell of the table into my lap as the table was too small to eat at. There was no check back with us at all. No water was offered to us either. We tried to attract the waiters attention but to no avail. When we had stopped eating, I will not say finished as the meals were not particularly edible, the waitress came to check was the meal OK. I said no actually it wasn’t my steak was like a piece of rubber but my husbands was OK....the waitresses suggestion??????? Apology???? no...an offer of something else to eat...no.....her suggestion was to laugh and saw why didn't your husband take your steak and you take his????????????? We were not offered a dessert menu either, would have been nice.
We went back to our room we checked the hotel information book to see what time breakfast was served but this basic information was not included in the book, nor was there a number to ring reception so we set the alarm and went to sleep. My husband got up to go to the loo and when he walked to the corridor of the room all the lights came on in the room...why? We got back to sleep only to be woken up by the fire alarm going off. We got up to leave the room when the alarm stopped. We looked out but no one else was out so we went back to sleep. After another period of time the fire alarm went off again, we again got up and started to dress when the alarm stopped again. We went back to sleep eventually.
We went down to breakfast which I was so looking forward to having not eaten since breakfast the day previously as the meal in the restaurant was so inedible. I love the continental breakfast of cold meats and breads and cheeses and was so looking forward to it. Had a look...no meats, no cheeses just some bread rolls and brown bread (one type), some tinned mandarins and some tinned prunes, orange juice and cranberry juice, no grapefruit juice. I was so disappointed. I went to take some bread but there was no tongs or cloth to choose the bread. The restaurant had quite a few tables filled at this stage so it meant that everyone had chosen their bread with their hands not a tongs. I asked the waitress for a tongs and was told she would get one. I waited 5 minutes for this. I got the breakfast which was so awkward to get as the covers for food containers had no hinges on them so one had to place them on the other containers to get to the food. All the guests were complaining about this. There was no fried eggs and others were asking for them but by the time they came out most people had finished their breakfasts. Toast was brought out as people had finished their breakfasts too. This was not the fault of the waitress as they seemed to be short staffed. I had nearly finished my breakfast when I was asked if I wanted tea or coffee. Most tables were like this. I asked for coffee and was brought down a pot of tea. I had to go exchange that. The coffee was burnt...its not so hard to make good coffee. There was also no milk on the tables and I had to borrow some from another table.
We went back to our room and just decided to go as there was nothing to keep us. Usually we would have had another coffee and a pastry and just relaxed over our breakfast but not here not worth it.
When we checked out we were expecting to be asked was everything OK and an apology for the alarm going off during the night but none was forthcoming.

I left the premises disappointed and I would never recommend you to friends or family. I am aware that this was “just” a Lidl break but I have gone on other Lidl breaks before and have had wonderful experiences with top notch food and service.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maura C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portmarnock
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
6 mi away
Clontarf Castle Hotel
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#3 of 150 in Dublin

Been to White Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!