“A Real Irish Welcome on the Ocean near Dublin Airport”

The Waterside House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Donabate
Port Perry, Canada
“A Real Irish Welcome on the Ocean near Dublin Airport”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is my fourth visit to the Waterside house. It is my " go to " place to relax on my way to and from Toronto. Living in Southern Ontario I miss the sounds and smells of the ocean and this is the perfect place to enjoy the rocky coast and beautiful, clean beach. Some parts of the hotel may be a little dated but it is continually being refurbished and I have always found it clean and welcoming. The reasonable prices reflect the fact that this is not a 5 star hotel but the Waterside provides all that is needed including great food and convenient in room tea and coffee with a kettle. This booking was only made a few days before I left Toronto and the front desk staff kindly arranged that my room would be ready for my arrival at 10.00 am. A staff member at the Irish Touist information desk at the airport called to inform the Waterside staff of my arrival. Pick up was prompt and Anthony, the shuttle driver, was very helpful in getting me to the hotel in about 15 minutes. I will be staying here again in 2 weeks with family members from Co. Down and will again take advantage of the hotel amenities and the convenient free shuttle back to the airport. My late booking this time did not allow me to have a waterfront room like I had on previous occasions.I would recommend trying to take advantage of the ocean view rooms by booking well in advance.

Room Tip: I definitely recommend an ocean view room, preferably on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank lovetotravel876

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The Waterside House Hotel is situated in a great location on Donabate Beach. This hotel is only 10 minutes drive to Swords Co Dublin and 15 minutes drive to Dublin Airport. The seaview terrace is newly painted and looks great. This hotel also has a shop with ice cream, sweets and beach toys etc to purchase.The food in this hotel is outstanding especially in the Samphire Restaurant. Bar food is fantastic also.We just had our Wedding in this hotel July 2013 , the day and night was amazing.Memories forever on our wedding day. We were able to have a civil ceremony on the Seaview Terrace overlook the sea. Views are beautiful. The service from the wedding coridnator and all the staff where extremely professional and helpful. Our Bridal suite was very clean with an amazing view. A huge thank you to this hotel for everything service,food and wedding packages are excellent.

Room Tip: Executive Seaview rooms are the best
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank LesleyR266
dublin
Reviewed August 3, 2013

myself and my partner stayed here in july during the very warm weather ,the hotel was right on the beach and our room was overlooking the bay which was very nice ,we went to the bar to get some bar food that evening and the place was very busy with people from the beach and I think also a wedding in the hotel at the bar, after getting our seat a young waitress came over and took our order she was very nice and recommended the beef for me and fish for my partner from the specials menu ,she explained that as they were very busy the food may take a couple of minutes to arrive and we said no rush as we would be having a few drinks. after only a couple of minutes our food arrived and my beef was delicious I also had some of my partners salmon and it was very nice ,we were going to go into the village that evening but the hotel had a singer on so we stayed and enjoyed a few more glasses of wine .next morning we had a very nice breakfast overlooking Dublin bay .over all I say it was a very enjoyable stay ,nice food, friendly staff, lovely view .will be back

Room Tip: sea view room
3 Thank donkeydublin
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Visited for a family wedding and had to stay for 2 nights. I have no positive comments to make. Dirty small rooms in need of re-furbishment. First night, ordered food at 7pm, starters arrived at 730, mains arrived at 845 after 3 times asking where it was, utter chaos. My wife's steak was not edible and we had it taken from the bill. After eating, our children were asked to leave the bar and go to bed, there was no provision or alternative for them - Great, so we went to bed too, we were not impressed. General staff attitude was poor and matched by the Management too.
The meal at the wedding reception was poor too, arrived cold, vegetables were not edible too, this was the followed by a cold breakfast and stewed coffee.
The Waterside charge 4* prices for a sub standard service in all areas - if you can avoid it, don't stay here.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Dabren1963

Travelers are raving about these Donabate hotels

Athy, Ireland
Reviewed July 29, 2013

It's good for a wedding venue but if I was to fork out 100 euro a night and not attending a wedding I would not be staying here. At 100 euro a night I thought the rooms would be in better condition and bigger i.e. loose bathroom fittings, small rooms (with a big bed.. could not swing a cat in it). On a positive note, the scenery was spectacular.

One major negative point... the staff were not considerate to an individual who had a diatry requirment, if someone has a dietary requirement do not walk up to a table and shout "who do I have to make changes for" this is really is not polite... it actually quit rude.

Room Tip: rooms facing the sea on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Monkeyboytango
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Attended a wedding here recently and stayed over...wished i had not now as we didnt get alot of sleep due to banging doors and other guests in the corridoors which in truth is not the hotels problem.The rooms are quite dated and need an overhaul badly,loose taps in the bathroom along with as well as a sewer smell coming from it.The bed was noisy and pretty hard too.The stairs leading to the room could have a cleaner and fresher look.Some staff were nice and others were not particularly one which i was nearly going to report,She was obviously not happy in her job but relayed this to the guests by her demeanour towards her job.
The hotel has some good points too though with a beautiful view of the Irish sea from our room and the outdoor decking is a nice place to relax over a drink.The tower bistro and bar is busy and lively and well appointed and i must admit i thought the food was really good contradicting other peoples views on here about it.
I wouldnt stay here again as i like a more classy hotel to be honest.This is a three star property and i think its just about holding that honour if im truthful.

Room Tip: PIck a room on the newer side and one facing the sea.
1 Thank ruud1
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Just had our wedding in the hotel and everything that we planned came through, perfect venue for a wedding,staff could not of being any more helpful.any problems or queries were quickly sorted.head waiter(Phillip) was brilliant.really knew his job.overall the place was great.cant wait to go back. Alva and Brian.

1 Thank Alva_Brian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Donabate
Grand Hotel Malahide
#4 of 7 in Swords
Bracken Court Hotel
Bracken Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Balbriggan

Been to The Waterside House Hotel? Share your experiences!