“Best in the East”

The Island Golf Club
Ranked #3 of 8 things to do in Donabate
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1890, this is one of the oldest and highest ranked Links golf courses in Ireland and a true links golf experience. Located only 15 minutes from Dublin Airport and 30 minutes from Dublin City Centre, the Island Golf Club will challenge your game while presenting beautiful vistas.
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Don't miss this East coast gem. A course used for the Irish Open 2013 qualifying rounds. Great condition, interesting greens, dunes galore. If you have a low handicap request David as your caddy. He's been playing the course since he was a lad and really understands its intricacies. To really appreciate the course skip the buggy and walk. We'll be back!

2  Thank Sandzi

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had a tour of 5 links courses last week including Royal County Cown, Royal Portrush, Castlerock, The Island and The European.

The Island beat us up but we all came away with a smile. The course ranks with the best on the east coast. It is varied, challenging, and beautiful.

I had always heard it was a great links, but I was truly surprised by what a wonderful gem it is. Go play it if you ever have a chance.

1  Thank JVB19
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Golfers in Dublin are spoiled for choice, especially those looking for a links golf experience. And, of the East Coast courses I have played so far, the Island in Donabate is one of my favourites (having also played Portmarnock Links, Corballis, Royal Dublin, St. Anne’s, Rush plus a little further away courses at Laytown-Bettystown, Seapoint and Arklow).

Known as the Island because back in the day, when access roads weren’t too good, it was reachable by ferry boat from Malahide.

In fact, the par 4 14th is called “Old Clubhouse” because the tee-box stands on the site of the old club house. Also still in view are the remains of the old jetty, where golfers landed from the boat from Malahide. This is a tough hole whose narrow fairway is bounded by the Irish Sea on the right and low dunes on the left. In a way, this hole defines the course, as you need to hit fairway to have any reasonable chance of a par.

The most memorable hole for me was the par 3 13th – I went with 3 wood – my 2 companions hit driver. This is a tough hole to score on, particularly with the head-on gale we played in – unfortunately, the best any of us could do was to make bogey.

As usual, the course was in pristine condition, greens were terrific and clubhouse / facilities are first class – if only the weather in early April could match!!

That said, whatever the weather, I always enjoy playing the Island and jump at any opportunity I get to play it.

1  Thank Suburban_Couple
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This course is a typical links golf course, greens are usually excellent, very good clubhouse facilities and golf shop. Wind is usually a feature, water is only a feature on some holes, typical links, well worth a visit

1  Thank Blockbuster_56
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We played 13 links courses in Ireland and this ranked up there is the top 5 or 6. Really hard to find, out in the middle of nowhere but worth the trip. The gorse was thick and tough when we were there. Good test of golf.

1  Thank TheFarkman