“View by the sea”

Ranked #4 of 9 Restaurants in Donabate
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Samphire at The Waterside, by Chef Tom Walsh, offers traditional french cuisine with a modern Irish twist. Located on the beach in Donabate, Co. Dublin, this restaurant offers a unique dining experience with unparalleled panoramic sea views.
Reviewed July 7, 2013

First visit to this restaurant and definitely wont be the last the location and the view were fab, food delicious, service great. Will definitely be back

There are newer reviews for Samphire

Reviewed July 3, 2013

On a recent nice sunny day, I decided to treat my mother to some al fresco dining at Samphire. Upon arrival, we discovered that they have no outside dining facilities (it's only a beer garden) and that the table in the picture above was actually inside at a window, not outside as we had originally thought! We didn’t mind at all as it was actually wasn't as warm when you're right on the sea and it gave us a bit of a laugh!

We had a look at the menu, which had a good variety, and ordered our food from the very friendly waiter. Breads arrived which were very tasty. My mother ordered the chicken liver parfait, which she said was very nice. However, I found my duck spring roll quite bland and tasteless. Our mains arrived underneath cloches. I had the braised beef and my mother had the hake. I’m not sure it if was down to the cloche retaining the moisture, but my mother’s chips and aubergine & courgette were soggy, and a lot of juice ran off the plate (slate) onto the table (Side note: I didn’t find the use of a cloche on a rectangular slate appropriate). She did, however, enjoy the hake itself. The gravy and mash on my braised beef was nice, however the beef itself was very dry. After a few mouthfuls, the gravy was all gone so everything was dry. I waited for the waiter to come back to ask for more gravy, but he didn’t so I had to go out into the lobby to look for him. Not his fault - as it’s quite a small room, there’s no station for him really to base himself at, and I suspect he was also helping out in the bar. Also, there was only one other table occupied and he probably thought everyone was looked after at that stage. Anyway, unfortunately they had none of the original gravy left, so they had to give me some other kid of gravy they had, which wasn't great.

Our desserts were also extremely disappointing. The crème brulee was very small and a bit watery but the chocolate & orange cake (can’t remember it’s correct name) was terrible. It was dry and.. again, just bland. I couldn't even eat it.

In terms of the look of the restaurant, it really is quite dated. Also if you go on a warm sunny day, your view is of a packed beer garden. It really wasn't the dining experience we wanted and expected.

1  Thank PhoebsB
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I ate at Samphire on a Voucher deal and I have to say the food was fantastic, everything we ate was great and the straight out of the oven mini bread loaves a delight.

The only draw back is that the dining room is tired with heavy old furniture and to be fair had I be paying full price I would have preferred not to use cheap one at a time loo roll from a plastic dispenser. (That’s just me for me a good meal out is about the whole experience).

Tom Walsh is a name to watch and I look forward to seeing what he does and would love to eat his beautiful food, in the surroundings it deserves.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Table d'hote menu had good choices for all 3 courses. Our meal was served with complimentary freshly baked bread and tapenades and also a bon mouche taster. A nice touch. Good choice of sides and potatoes.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed there last Saturday thanks to my daughters gift vouchers.Really enjoyable and the food was excellent helped by the real friendliness of the 3 waiters.They are a good ad for their natural friendliness, brilant and a great ad for this small restaurant.The weather was not very good but the views over Lambay and the beautiful rainbows (over 6 different on the night) were really beautiful.But the Food is what we were there for and I recommend it. The Diiner menu is excelent value for money.No rainbows on Sunday morn but the full Irish breakfast was also very good and the views of Lambay were still !!!!! fantastic and the beautiful walks nearby wanted one to go back and have lunch but unfortunately home called.Try it I think you will enjoy.