“A very pleasant evening” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 7 Restaurants in Donabate
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, International, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Samphire at The Waterside, by Chef Tom Walsh, offers traditional french cuisine with a modern Irish twist. Located on the beach in Donabate, Co. Dublin, this restaurant offers a unique dining experience with unparalleled panoramic sea views.
Dublin, Ireland
“A very pleasant evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

We ate here on a Friday evening.the restaurant was not busy just three other tables occupied. The service was friendly and professional. Freshly baked breads were served and were delicious.
An amuse bouche was also served before our starter it too was very good. The food was well presented and very tasty all in all a very good dining experience. The dining room should be overlooking the sea but there are too few windows for all diners to enjoy the view which is a pity. We will certainly be back and would recommend Samphire

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Management-Waterside, Manager at Samphire, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear tjoe30,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your dining experience with us. I have taken your comments on board in relation to more windows with a sea view. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future.

“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I seem to be on a really bad run lately. I had been looking forward to eating at the much reviewed restaurant for quite a while. So this month we had a suitable special occasion and brought our family. Our reservation was for half seven but we arrived a little early. We ordered a drink in the bar and enquired if we could be seated early, but were told that the waiter would not be ready! They did do their best to accommodate us and we were seated by 7.20. To say service was slow was an understatement, and I cannot really fault the waiter, he was on his own but the food seemed very slow coming from the kitchen. The bread only arrived on the table around 8, followed by what seemed like another long wait for the starters and then the amuse bouch. It was well after half nine before our mains arrived. We were a group of seven, but surely a hotel restaurant can cope with this. I am all for taking my time over a meal, but to have been waiting 2 hours for a main course is a bit much. With desert it was well after 11 by the time we left.

The food was ok. Presentation was good but all my dishes were tepid at best and nothing came to the table piping hot. I went for the beef fillet and requested it done medium – well. Unfortunately the steak was butterflied and very well done, also no sauce or gravy accompanied the steak and it was very dry. A big let down considering the hefty supplement.

Would I return? I doubt it. This was voted best hotel restaurant alongside Citroen, and in my opinion the two couldn’t be further apart.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Thulathulabound
Dear Thulathulabound,

Thank you for sending us your feedback on Trip Advisor. I was most disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your dining experience with us. I have spoken to our kitchen and dining room staff in relation to your feedback. We take customer feedback extremely seriously and we always appreciate customers taking the time to let us know what they think of our establishment.

I apologise if you felt our food and service was not of excellent quality. Should you wish to discuss this matter further I would urge you to contact us directly on 01 843 6153.

“VERY POOR STAFF”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Saturday 6th April we arrived for a light lunch and a drink. My husbands sea food chowder, excellent. My pate & pear/mustard relish superb. However I mentioned to the senior female waiter that the bread was extremely sweet and she said that it was what their choux chef made for the pate. No offer of any alternative.
When this senior female gave us our bill, it was incorrect. A pint of heineken and pint of guinness, plus a soft drink had been added to our bill. I showed it to her to which she added, its ok I'll sort it for you. SHE MADE THE MISTAKE not me.
THEN I went to pay at the bar/serving area at approx 17.51. A young man Lavant I believe is the correct spelling made 3 attempts to TAKE MY CARD. I repeated that he should bring the machine to me, to which he SIGHED.
There is no point in having excellent menus and facilities if the staff cannot (or don't have the interest) in being professional or even at least courteous.
I hope there will be some in house training before our summer begins.

3 Thank patrickfrances1
Dear patrickfrances1,

Thank you for sending us your feedback on Trip Advisor. We take customer feedback extremely seriously. Your comments have been discussed with our kitchen and dining room staff.

The bread served with our Chicken Liver Parfait, Madeira Jelly, Pear & Mustard Chutney is brioche which is a sweet bread. I apologise if this was not to your taste.

I have spoken to our staff in relation to your issue with payment and apologise to you if you felt our service was not excellent.

I would urge you to contact us directly if you would like to discuss your dining experience with us further.

Dublin, Tipperary, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“High expectations.....Reality terrible..”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Decided to give this fairly hyped restaurant ago.... A family affair with the wife and 2 daughters in tow....Quick of the blocks to take the orders...However, stumbled at the first hurdle with a small delay in getting the tasty bread and dips out though...The Starters soon followed and were OK... But the 30 minute delay in the mains appearing was not helped by the table sat next to us... Their constant loud use of the 'F' word and frequent visits outside to the arctic for fag breaks between every breath of the said 'F' word did not help and the place stank!...Any Matradee worth their salt would have picked up on that straight away!!! Anyway the mains eventually came out, not an apology insight!..Some had obviously been sat their for a while waiting for the rest to catch up...And tasted like it too......Enough was enough..Time to leave....Manager please...Paid for starters and left.....This place promised Michelin star expectations...No where near it! Oh...And the Loos were smelly and in dire need of redecoration!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Patrick432007
Management-Waterside, Manager at Samphire, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Patrick4322007,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Samphire on TripAdvisor. Any kind of feedback is always gratefully received, as it assists us in monitoring the service we provide and helps us seek to find improvement wherever necessary.

We are really very sorry that there were elements of your meal with us in March that you did not enjoy or find satisfactory. We are disappointed to hear that there was a delay in bringing your food to the table and that the table next to you used profanity. We are disappointed to know that you were dissatisfied with the quality of our food and are sorry that we did not have the opportunity to discuss this during your time at the hotel.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused and be assured that we have taken on board your service comments and preferences and have reviewed each point with our team, looking to find any experience improvements wherever possible. We have also reiterated to them the importance of going about their duties with care and consideration for customers.

We are very sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site but thank you for sharing this with us and highlighting areas where improvement may be found.

Yours sincerely,
The Management Team
“Lovely surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Dined in the Samphire restaurant whilst on an overnight stay in the Waterside House Hotel. They did a lovely job with the restaurant refurb - new name and all! It’s a small, intimate restaurant, very pleasing to the eye. This was our first time to eat here and we were pleased at the good value, opting for the two-course early bird menu. It was a bitterly cold, wind and storm swept night, and we were able to watch the gigantic waves lashing the rocks and shore form our very comfortable window table. We encountered three staff in total serving us and all of them were very pleasant. Both our meals were beautifully cooked and presented and we really can’t fault anything about this restaurant. Interesting choice of name too for the restaurant, had to look up what samphire was and found out it’s an edible plant that grows in coastal areas. Well done to whoever had the idea for that name for the restaurant – it shows somebody with a bit of initiative, and interest in the locality too. Having looked at images of it on the internet this morning, I do believe there was actually some samphire in the little glasses on our table that had shells at the bottom and a white floating candle on top. You learn something every day! We would recommend this restaurant without hesitation.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank DubTwosome
Dear DubTwosome,

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent dining experience with us here in Samphire. I was most pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment in the near future.