“The Farm: Beware if you use a wheelchair or buggy!!”
Review of Newbridge House

Newbridge House
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Donabate
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a review of the Farm, not the House. Myself, my daughter and my granddaughter visited one day after bank holiday - and were very grateful for the lack of crowds! However, my daughter is in a wheelchair and the place was, initially, a nightmare. Gravel pathways from the car park to the entrance, then waiting for the gate to be opened (thus avoiding the narrow corridors and stairs) were not too much of a problem. However, you are then faced with not one, but two, large cobbled courtyards - I was forced, through necessity, to walk backwards and pull the wheelchair - pushing was just not an option. We also had to negotiate a step. Thankfully, once we navigated those courtyards, the pathways were well-trodden ground and much easier for the wheelchair. Having said all that, the farm itself was lovely - acres of well maintained ground with different farm animals dotted around in pens - and some very friendly goats out of their pens and ripe for stroking! Plenty of space for picnics. Once we had re-negotiated the nightmare cobbles to get back to the cafe, despite many signs around advertising soft ice-cream, it turned out that (due to 'unexpected' heavy bank holiday crowds) they had run out of ALL ice-cream and ALL lollies!!
We then went on to the adventure playground (thankfully, tarmac all the way!) which was great, with a good variety of items even for toddlers.
All in all, it was a lovely visit but I do think they could - and should - make the whole thing much more disabled-friendly just by the addition of a smooth path across/around the cobbles.

1  Thank Trish S
There are newer reviews for Newbridge House

Reviewed May 1, 2013

My adult family of 3 toured the house in a group that included just us. Wonderful opportunity to ask questions of our very knowledgeable tour guide Jack. We avoided the farm tour as many families with young children were visiting that day. Lovely cafe with baked goods; a little high priced in my opinion but tasty. Small inside seating area but many picnic tables outside for dining or snacks. Paved walking trails, one of which lead into the village of Donabate. A variety of specially organized activities were available during the year...wish I had been able to stay long enough to try the baking course! Length of visit will depend on whether you tour both the house and farm and stop for snacks.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I have been going to Newbridge House and Farm for years now. The farm is beautiful with a lovely walk around it. I really recommend this for families! Buggy friendly! Great day out when not raining!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I visit this wonderful treasure at least once a month. The area surround the house changes with the seasons and you never know what you will see. I prefer to go in the evening time during the week when there are less people. The farm is worth a visit at least once per season. Give yourself a good 2-3 hours to take it all in. If you just like to get some fresh air and a good walk after dinner then this is the perfect place.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Great place for walking and picnics but most of all for the animal farm.
Kids will just love it.
Ample parking and facilities.