“The Ireland of my dreams!”

Wolfhound Adventure Tours
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Boyle
Brooklyn
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The Ireland of my dreams!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Believe all of these wonderful reviews! I've taken 2 amazing trips now with Dave O'Connor, and have experienced an Ireland I couldn't have seen any other way. This is unique off-the-beaten path fun and adventure, for all ages and activity levels, with breathtaking scenery and special places to visit all day long. . . and it's perfect for solo travelers.

Dave really goes out of his way to make sure everyone is doing and seeing the things they came for--and to show you an Ireland that even many Irish don't know about! Because Dave takes only a small group, you quickly bond with one another in the van, as you picnic by a waterfall after a road walk or a forest hike . . . it quickly feels like a road trip with friends! The flexibility of being a small group means that some people can hike while others bike. . . there's always something for everyone. And all along the way, Dave shares his rich knowledge of Irish legends, songs, flora, fauna, and history with his trademark humor. You'll laugh a lot!

One afternoon we had our picnic lunch in the picturesque ruins of an ancient abbey. There was no one there but us and the swallows. I felt sorry for the hordes of tourists in their big buses, who would never even know about that ruin, or get to pick local wildflowers while hiking past a fairy ring, up to an ancient tomb. You have to experience Ireland outdoors, you have to "jump in," as the current Irish tourism commercial goes...that's what Wolfhound's all about.

On our last day of the Southwest trip, an important Gaelic football final was taking place, so on the way back to Dublin, Dave took us to a pub where we got to watch it with the locals. This is just one unique experience I'll always remember.

With Wolfhound, you'll stay in beautiful B&Bs or small inns that can't take big groups, situated in the most scenic places! I'll never forget one spectacular road walk that led us down into a scenic valley, where our inn waited for us by a small lake and tiny perfect church. We were welcomed warmly, drinks were quickly in hand, and soon we were enjoying a gourmet dinner.

Dave truly loves his country and relishes exploring it, and sharing it. Because of his thoughtful, insightful planning, all you have to do is show up and enjoy it!

Visited April 2013
3 Thank Diane60827

New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wolfhound tours- SW Ireland”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I searched & googled for small group adventure tours of Ireland and found Wolfhound tours.
Traveling solo, I had to make sure this was for me. Dave, who owns and conducts the tours was so helpful and prompt with return questions and suggestions, that i was really comfortable booking this tour for October 2013.
It was so fantastic that i am still thinking about it.
I love off the beaten path adventures and this exceeded my expectations.
Loved Ireland and Dave was so knowledgable about its history, legends, stories and really funny.

Never felt alone, the others on the trip was so inclusive and fun.
Dave created an atmosphere that made everyone feel welcome and important.
I travel alot and i consider this trip special and would recommend it to anyone.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank Traveling-Heart-too
Lockport, Illinois, United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Magical land, people, and tour guide.”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My wife and I booked Dave's Wolfhound Tours almost a year ahead of our departure in September and October of 2013. We booked both the 5 day North and the 6 day Southwest tours. Even before our tours started, Dave had recommendations on where we could stay in both Dublin and Galway which have nothing to do with his tours. On our Northern tour we biked beautiful roads. We rode horses on the beaches of the Atlantic ocean. We hiked on trails that went amongst the cows and sheep. We were on a boat ride to see the cliffs of Slieve League and were surrounded by about 30 dolphins on the way back. We visited Yeats grave, the Bushmills distillery in Bushmills, Londonderry, and Belfast.
HeartisinIreland has a great review of our Southwestern Trip. Please read it.
The whole thing about Dave's Wolfhound Tour's is that in the 2 trips of 11 days, I only saw 2 large tour buses at 2 of our stops. We saw fantastic ring forts, towers, passage tombs, beaches, scenic overlooks, and fantastic old pubs, towns, and had the opportunity to talk to the locals. The places that we stayed were top notch and the breakfasts were amazing. Dave filled our entire day with stories, history, songs, and some great fairy tales. He would incorporate us into his stories and made the whole trip seem like we were all one big family. We played Irish football and practiced our hurling on a beautiful field of the c.l.g. chill chartha club. We saw and did what we wanted to with Dave's guidance. On our Northern trip we stayed 2 days near (I jogged about 10 minutes to the site) the Giant's Causeway on a working diary farm. We could either have lunch in a pub or we gathered up stuff and had a picnic lunch on a beach or lake or fantastic overlook. It was just endless............like this review.

Bottom line. Do these tours with Dave. I'll give you your money back if you do not have a good time. Not really, but I got a nice t-shirt that you can have.

Visited September 2013
6 Thank Alex M
North Wales, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“The Number One Way to Tour Ireland!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We recently returned from a September 6 day Southwest Tour of Ireland with Dave O'Connor's Wolfhound Tours and can't wait to experience even more of Ireland with Wolfhound Hiking and Biking Tours. Dave never ran out of stories, history, legend and lore to share with us along the way and he is a master at making the trip work for every fitness and endurance level traveling on the tour. The choice of sights and places to stay were varied and all top notch. Our band of travelers from all over the US formed a tight knit group under Dave's enthusiastic leadership. If you enjoy the outdoors, small group travel, and the local color of small villages and towns away from the big cities, Wolfhound is THE way to go. Even damp, misty Irish weather can't keep you down with the Wolfhound!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Meg F
San Francisco
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Go & Be in Ireland - Best Trip Ever”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Here it is, October 2013, & I am planning my next adventure - and yet I find myself sitting here and still thinking about the trip I took with Wolfhound Adventures in the last two weeks of May 2013. I often think about writing a TripAdvisor review of Wolfhound Adventures, but then delay my writing as I really really want to make sure I convey how great this trip was for me. Well, I delay no more - this was the Best Trip Ever! Ireland is a gorgeous country, with a lively history, friendly people, lots of sheep, and really good Guinness. Dave O'Connor, our guide, provided an amazing level of service as he took us over hill and dale, showing us and teaching us about Ireland as much as anyone possibly could, and coming up with a wide range of optional activities. The road walks were the best, and I got to have both companionship with other travelers, as well as my much-needed alone time. I was particularly impressed by how much Dave, himself, enjoys wandering and discovering in his own country, a country he clearly cares for deeply. He is a true adventurer. And I really liked that he allowed me to have the trip I wanted - he allowed me to decide what I wanted to do each and every day, and gave me the freedom to contemplate different options and make my own choices - and as for how he does that, with a group of 10-12 people, I can't really tell you, even though I experienced it. Accommodations were good and great, days were full and yet relaxing, food was nearly always extra-delicious - and the Guinness alone is worth making a return trip for, in my opinion.

I took the Southwest trip and the North trip (very different experiences, both breathtaking in their own beautiful ways), as a solo female traveler, with a few days in Dublin before, after and in-between - loved Dublin! Be sure to book a trip with Wolfhound well in advance - I blithely emailed Dave well into the year of 2012, looking for a little get-away to Ireland later in the year - he politely told me that he was booked up for the year, and warmly invited me to book for 2013 - so very glad I did!

Visited May 2013