“Wolfhound tours- SW Ireland”

Wolfhound Adventure Tours
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Boyle
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I searched & googled for small group adventure tours of Ireland and found Wolfhound tours.
Traveling solo, I had to make sure this was for me. Dave, who owns and conducts the tours was so helpful and prompt with return questions and suggestions, that i was really comfortable booking this tour for October 2013.
It was so fantastic that i am still thinking about it.
I love off the beaten path adventures and this exceeded my expectations.
Loved Ireland and Dave was so knowledgable about its history, legends, stories and really funny.

Never felt alone, the others on the trip was so inclusive and fun.
Dave created an atmosphere that made everyone feel welcome and important.
I travel alot and i consider this trip special and would recommend it to anyone.

4  Thank Traveling-Heart-too

Reviewed October 25, 2013

My wife and I booked Dave's Wolfhound Tours almost a year ahead of our departure in September and October of 2013. We booked both the 5 day North and the 6 day Southwest tours. Even before our tours started, Dave had recommendations on where we could stay in both Dublin and Galway which have nothing to do with his tours. On our Northern tour we biked beautiful roads. We rode horses on the beaches of the Atlantic ocean. We hiked on trails that went amongst the cows and sheep. We were on a boat ride to see the cliffs of Slieve League and were surrounded by about 30 dolphins on the way back. We visited Yeats grave, the Bushmills distillery in Bushmills, Londonderry, and Belfast.
HeartisinIreland has a great review of our Southwestern Trip. Please read it.
The whole thing about Dave's Wolfhound Tour's is that in the 2 trips of 11 days, I only saw 2 large tour buses at 2 of our stops. We saw fantastic ring forts, towers, passage tombs, beaches, scenic overlooks, and fantastic old pubs, towns, and had the opportunity to talk to the locals. The places that we stayed were top notch and the breakfasts were amazing. Dave filled our entire day with stories, history, songs, and some great fairy tales. He would incorporate us into his stories and made the whole trip seem like we were all one big family. We played Irish football and practiced our hurling on a beautiful field of the c.l.g. chill chartha club. We saw and did what we wanted to with Dave's guidance. On our Northern trip we stayed 2 days near (I jogged about 10 minutes to the site) the Giant's Causeway on a working diary farm. We could either have lunch in a pub or we gathered up stuff and had a picnic lunch on a beach or lake or fantastic overlook. It was just endless............like this review.

Bottom line. Do these tours with Dave. I'll give you your money back if you do not have a good time. Not really, but I got a nice t-shirt that you can have.

6  Thank Alex M
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We recently returned from a September 6 day Southwest Tour of Ireland with Dave O'Connor's Wolfhound Tours and can't wait to experience even more of Ireland with Wolfhound Hiking and Biking Tours. Dave never ran out of stories, history, legend and lore to share with us along the way and he is a master at making the trip work for every fitness and endurance level traveling on the tour. The choice of sights and places to stay were varied and all top notch. Our band of travelers from all over the US formed a tight knit group under Dave's enthusiastic leadership. If you enjoy the outdoors, small group travel, and the local color of small villages and towns away from the big cities, Wolfhound is THE way to go. Even damp, misty Irish weather can't keep you down with the Wolfhound!

1  Thank Meg F
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Here it is, October 2013, & I am planning my next adventure - and yet I find myself sitting here and still thinking about the trip I took with Wolfhound Adventures in the last two weeks of May 2013. I often think about writing a TripAdvisor review of Wolfhound Adventures, but then delay my writing as I really really want to make sure I convey how great this trip was for me. Well, I delay no more - this was the Best Trip Ever! Ireland is a gorgeous country, with a lively history, friendly people, lots of sheep, and really good Guinness. Dave O'Connor, our guide, provided an amazing level of service as he took us over hill and dale, showing us and teaching us about Ireland as much as anyone possibly could, and coming up with a wide range of optional activities. The road walks were the best, and I got to have both companionship with other travelers, as well as my much-needed alone time. I was particularly impressed by how much Dave, himself, enjoys wandering and discovering in his own country, a country he clearly cares for deeply. He is a true adventurer. And I really liked that he allowed me to have the trip I wanted - he allowed me to decide what I wanted to do each and every day, and gave me the freedom to contemplate different options and make my own choices - and as for how he does that, with a group of 10-12 people, I can't really tell you, even though I experienced it. Accommodations were good and great, days were full and yet relaxing, food was nearly always extra-delicious - and the Guinness alone is worth making a return trip for, in my opinion.

I took the Southwest trip and the North trip (very different experiences, both breathtaking in their own beautiful ways), as a solo female traveler, with a few days in Dublin before, after and in-between - loved Dublin! Be sure to book a trip with Wolfhound well in advance - I blithely emailed Dave well into the year of 2012, looking for a little get-away to Ireland later in the year - he politely told me that he was booked up for the year, and warmly invited me to book for 2013 - so very glad I did!

2  Thank AnneSFO
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Having now completed my 6th tour with Wolfhound and Dave O'Connor, there is no doubt that he is absolutely the best and there is no better way to see Ireland. I have mentioned in prior reviews how great is his enthusiasm for sharing his country and culture; his wonderful talents in story-telling, history lessons and singing; and the flexibility of his tours,offering many options for the day, whether bike riding, walking, or just hanging out on the van or in a pub if that's what you feel like doing.
Although I have been on the Southwest tour 4 times, each time has brought something new. This trip brought us to Morrissey's Pub - a truly authentic Irish pub in Abbeyleix and a couple of new ruins one of which was a beautiful round tower Wolfhound had never visited before. A hike in Killarney National Park was another first for me. Our weather was not terribly coopertive but that did nothing to dampen the fun. There was always hot whiskey in a quaint pub somewhere or a picnic safe and dry aboard the Wolfmobile. McCarthy's Bar in Castletownbere and O'Neill's Railway Tavern on the Dingle Peninsula are always fun stops and wandering among the cows and the ruins of Athasall Abbey and the moss-covered forests of Gougane Barra are favorite places for me. Stays at the Gougane Barra Hotel, Davitt's in Kenmare, Portmagee Heights in Portmagee and the Dingle Bay Hotel were all wonderful. The music and craic in Dingle ended the trip perfectly.
I continue to be impressed with Wolfhound and Dave's concern and effort to see that everyone, no matter how diverse the group, has fun and sees and does what they want. It makes him a standout in my book. He dropped 10 of us in Lismore to go for a walk and a pub stop while he went several miles out of his way to take one member of the group to the home where her grandmother had lived, something her mother, who recently passed away, had always wanted to do. She hoped she might be able to do it on this trip for her and tried to take a bus there from Dublin but couldn't get a connection. As a surprise, Dave took her there. And who else would also go out of their way to special order rainbows for someone such as myself who has never seen one in Ireland and on this trip saw THREE? Dave's the man; Wolfhound Adventure Tours is the way to see Ireland! You can't go wrong if you choose Wolfhound, whether it is your first trip to Ireland or only one of many.

1  Thank Madeit2Ireland