“Go & Be in Ireland - Best Trip Ever”

Wolfhound Adventure Tours
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Boyle
San Francisco
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Go & Be in Ireland - Best Trip Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Here it is, October 2013, & I am planning my next adventure - and yet I find myself sitting here and still thinking about the trip I took with Wolfhound Adventures in the last two weeks of May 2013. I often think about writing a TripAdvisor review of Wolfhound Adventures, but then delay my writing as I really really want to make sure I convey how great this trip was for me. Well, I delay no more - this was the Best Trip Ever! Ireland is a gorgeous country, with a lively history, friendly people, lots of sheep, and really good Guinness. Dave O'Connor, our guide, provided an amazing level of service as he took us over hill and dale, showing us and teaching us about Ireland as much as anyone possibly could, and coming up with a wide range of optional activities. The road walks were the best, and I got to have both companionship with other travelers, as well as my much-needed alone time. I was particularly impressed by how much Dave, himself, enjoys wandering and discovering in his own country, a country he clearly cares for deeply. He is a true adventurer. And I really liked that he allowed me to have the trip I wanted - he allowed me to decide what I wanted to do each and every day, and gave me the freedom to contemplate different options and make my own choices - and as for how he does that, with a group of 10-12 people, I can't really tell you, even though I experienced it. Accommodations were good and great, days were full and yet relaxing, food was nearly always extra-delicious - and the Guinness alone is worth making a return trip for, in my opinion.

I took the Southwest trip and the North trip (very different experiences, both breathtaking in their own beautiful ways), as a solo female traveler, with a few days in Dublin before, after and in-between - loved Dublin! Be sure to book a trip with Wolfhound well in advance - I blithely emailed Dave well into the year of 2012, looking for a little get-away to Ireland later in the year - he politely told me that he was booked up for the year, and warmly invited me to book for 2013 - so very glad I did!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank AnneSFO

Kenmare, Ireland
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Never Fails to Impress!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Having now completed my 6th tour with Wolfhound and Dave O'Connor, there is no doubt that he is absolutely the best and there is no better way to see Ireland. I have mentioned in prior reviews how great is his enthusiasm for sharing his country and culture; his wonderful talents in story-telling, history lessons and singing; and the flexibility of his tours,offering many options for the day, whether bike riding, walking, or just hanging out on the van or in a pub if that's what you feel like doing.
Although I have been on the Southwest tour 4 times, each time has brought something new. This trip brought us to Morrissey's Pub - a truly authentic Irish pub in Abbeyleix and a couple of new ruins one of which was a beautiful round tower Wolfhound had never visited before. A hike in Killarney National Park was another first for me. Our weather was not terribly coopertive but that did nothing to dampen the fun. There was always hot whiskey in a quaint pub somewhere or a picnic safe and dry aboard the Wolfmobile. McCarthy's Bar in Castletownbere and O'Neill's Railway Tavern on the Dingle Peninsula are always fun stops and wandering among the cows and the ruins of Athasall Abbey and the moss-covered forests of Gougane Barra are favorite places for me. Stays at the Gougane Barra Hotel, Davitt's in Kenmare, Portmagee Heights in Portmagee and the Dingle Bay Hotel were all wonderful. The music and craic in Dingle ended the trip perfectly.
I continue to be impressed with Wolfhound and Dave's concern and effort to see that everyone, no matter how diverse the group, has fun and sees and does what they want. It makes him a standout in my book. He dropped 10 of us in Lismore to go for a walk and a pub stop while he went several miles out of his way to take one member of the group to the home where her grandmother had lived, something her mother, who recently passed away, had always wanted to do. She hoped she might be able to do it on this trip for her and tried to take a bus there from Dublin but couldn't get a connection. As a surprise, Dave took her there. And who else would also go out of their way to special order rainbows for someone such as myself who has never seen one in Ireland and on this trip saw THREE? Dave's the man; Wolfhound Adventure Tours is the way to see Ireland! You can't go wrong if you choose Wolfhound, whether it is your first trip to Ireland or only one of many.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Madeit2Ireland
Madison, Alabama, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Ireland Tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

I just returned from a trip to Ireland with a group of nine. We have the great delight to book a 5 day western Ireland tour with Mr. Dave O'Connor, owner and operator of Wolfhound Adventure Tours. It was totally awesome. Besides being a great guy and a "horse of a man", he is very knowledgeable on Irish culture, history, poetry, song, and geology. I believe that he knows just about everyone on the island. The groups are limited to 12 persons. He offers hiking, biking, water sports, and hurling lessons. He is very adaptable in any situation. The accommodations were small, intimate, but elegant and very personal. All B&Bs were locally owned and were located in small villages. I can't say enough good things about the trip. I want to go back today! I will always sing Dave's praises. Finally, if you want big groups, large buses, and corporate tours, this tour is NOT for you.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Gary P
Huntsville, Alabama
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“For everyone interested in "Bikes, Hikes and History" in Ireland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

If you are looking for a private guide for a trip around Ireland, Wolfhound Tours is your best bet.
Dave can handle up to12 people and provides an exceptional tour. He adapted our tour to changing weather conditions and kept a good balance of history, activity (hiking and biking), singing, visiting with the locals and seeing the most interesting sights. Dave is very entertaining and knowledgable. He even proved adept at handling a minor medical emergency that occurred on our trip. If you have a small group interested in learning about Ireland and seeing some great local sights, you can't do any better than Dave O'Connor's Wolfhound Adventure Tours.

Visited September 2013
USA
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Best decision of my trip to Ireland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

I wasn't sure about the whole "tour" thing, but after reading other reviews and emailing Dave, I booked a 6-day southwest tour with Wolfhound (http://www.wolfhoundtours.com). It was the best decision I could have made, and the highlight of my entire trip. It felt like a road trip with a bunch of friends. Dave was a fantastic guide with an amazing knowledge of Ireland and its history. The plans were flexible, and depended on what the group wanted to do. It was a great opportunity to get out and be active in a beautiful place - hiking, biking, horseback riding, kayaking... We did a lot of picnic lunches from corner stores and delis, which gave us the opportunity to see even more amazing places (and really helps when you're trying to keep SOME kind of a budget on your vacation). ;-) All the accommodations were fantastic, the food was amazing, and the people were so nice. I can't believe how much we got to see in such a short time - and away from the big tourist areas. The hikes and sights were not likely places that I would've known about or found if I was driving myself around. I would completely recommend this to anyone considering a trip to Ireland. I'm not the type of person to vacation in the same place, but I would go back in a heartbeat to take another Wolfhound tour with Dave.

Visited August 2013