“Totally terrific all around”

Wolfhound Adventure Tours
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Boyle
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Our visit to the southwest surpassed expectations every step of the way. Dave O'Connor gets an A+ for history, music, flexibility, humor and charm. Every day is a treat whether it includes biking, hiking, soaking in local color and history (in and out of pubs) or all these put together. My husband and I don't do tours but the small size of this one (a total of 12) and the chance to get off the beaten track and see the real south west of beautiful Ireland made the entire experience a triple wow. Go Wolfhound!

1  Thank MariG142

Reviewed November 4, 2012

As with most guided tours the guide is a huge part of the overall experience. Dave was excellent. His deep knowledge of all things Irish mixed with his quick sense of humor made this a trip to remember. The group was small (12), the activities were fun and not packed with other tourists from the tour coaches, the accommodations were great and the stories of the land and its lore were my favorite part. My wife and I plan to return for Dave's Northern Tour (we took the Southwest Tour) and it wouldn't surprise me if over the next few years we end up going on every tour Dave offers.
Thanks Dave!!!!

3  Thank Glenn C
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Like others, I find it hard to know where to start. Dave's tours are simply the best I've ever been on. I've been on two of his tours now, and each time I've had trips filled with gorgeous hikes, spectacular bike rides, picnics in deserted abbeys that no tour bus has ever found, creamy pints in pubs, and yes - even surfing. All of the activities carefully thought out so everyone gets a choice - so that part of the group may be horseback riding, while some are going for a big hike, and those a bit more tired resting with some time at the beech. Through out it all, Dave good humor, advice, songs, and stories. Thank you so much Dave!

2  Thank erin_CA33069
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I'm ever so grateful for having found Dave O'Connor's Wolfhound Tours when I was planning my Sept trip to Ireland. I wanted adventure/activity with a small group, because I was traveling alone. So Wolfhound was perfect.

Dave brought Ireland to life. With only 12 of us on the tour (me and 11 strangers), Dave had incredible flexibility to adapt each day's itinerary to the weather, to people's preferences and to unexpected opportunities.

I'd wanted a walking tour that wasn't a marathon, and Dave offers a chance to walk every day, bike some of the days, and even sea kayak and climb the 600 steps of Skellig Michael.

I think that Dave's tours are ideal for those who like to meet others and are flexible, who enjoy a bit of adventure, and who appreciate leaving the beaten path for beauty elsewhere. If you insist on kissing the Blarney stone or taking time for shopping, this might not be the trip for you. But if you're prepared for adventure and beauty, for hearing Irish songs and Irish history (and for laughing a lot), then you'll love Wolfhound.

Our group had several singles traveling alone, several couples, and one small group of friends/family. And we blended beautifully. I hope to take another tour with Wolfhound!

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I came to take this particular trip because I wanted to, as Thoreau says so well, "live deliberately." Live my time in Ireland- deliberately. But never could I have imagined that there might exist a "renaissance man trip/adventure leader" who was a story teller, singer, history and geography buff and most of all, someone who deeply honored the land and it's past at the same time he honored our needs, hopes and wishes to really experience that land. Thankfully, this is an adveture tour that avoids the madness of tourist buses, line ups, souvenir shops and everything that is never really part of a country. Instead we experienced the sensibility of this beautiful, historically complex island by bike, foot and kayak (all optional), learning the history and stories of the land.

In the end we left (sadly sadly), to take home the scent and sound of the sea, a measure of the beauty of the hills, mountains, passes, the patchwork fields, the green, and all the complicated nuances that give birth to a people and a country.

This tour and it's guide- like Ireland herself - has no competitors.

2  Thank CBCATBIRD