“Great time was had by all”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Holyrood Hotel

The Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bundoran
belfast
“Great time was had by all”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2010

My husband and myself stayed at the Holyrood for three days last week. We had a nice room overlooking the sea and it was quite quiet the traffic did not bother us the hotel had a T.V. in the room and the reception was good for the world cup so my husband was very pleased. Our meals were very nice and there was entertainment on at night. We go about three times a year for quite a long time now so that speaks for itself I would definitely recommend the hotel the staff are very helpful and friendly and nothing is too much trouble to the reception staff.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Leeds, West Yorks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

This hotel is certainly not as bad as the majority of the reviews here. The rates are very reasonable for what you get too.
Please see below for a theory I have.
Sure the rooms could do with a little update but mine was clean and spacious if slightly basic. I found the bed linen and bathroom towels pristine and the room was serviced daily. The bed was large and very comfortable too, though to be fair, I didn't spend long in the hotel as I was here for the Rory Gallagher Festival in Ballyshannon.
I did notice one bucket collecting water in the bar area but I had only popped in for a quick visit till it was time for the next bus. The rest of the hotel looked in very good condition and decoative order.
All the staff in the hotel were extremely polite and indeed went out of their way to be helpful. Note about the TV remote you need to ask for it at reception and it is a good idea to ask how to reset it as I thought the first one did not work was supplied a second and the trick to enable it.
Reception is manned 24 hrs and returning after 4AM two nights running I can testify the night staff are both alert & friendly - more than can be said for other places I have stayed.
Breakfast - I don't eat meat and so often ask for a little piece of cheese to accompany a meatless cooked breakfast. My request was not only accepted... I was offered a full cheese board and biscuits if I wanted too! A sign does advise not going for breakfast in the last 30 mins if you want to avoid queues but ignoring this I did not experience any.
I remarked to reception about the reviews of the hotel on here - they knew about them though could not understand why/who was writing these. I said I woud redress the balance.
The reviews concerend me so much that I had remarked to a commuter on the train over who assured me that I would have the pleasant surprise that I did.
On leaving I hitched a ride to Sligo and the very kind lady who gave me a lift (Thankyou Anne - you are a gem and a fine ambassador for Ireland) mentioned she thought the hotel is owned by a local councillor an possibly 'local politics' have lead to some people leaving 'mischieviously biased reviews'. This might explain it as are certainly not representative of my stay at all. Please read all the reviews as a guide only, one persons standard is not necessarily your own and your impression may depend on the length of you stay and th time of year.
The only reason I may not stay here on my return is I may try a B&B in Ballyshannon next year to be nearer the festival and will definately book for longer. I would have no hessitation to stay here again if I opt to stay in a hotel though.
Taxis are approx 10 Euro for the 3 miles to Ballyshannon and some may prefer to stay just outside it for the festival period.
Bundoran was rather quiet and peaceful in early june but I hear it does become a very busy seaside town later on. Prior to my visit a colleague who had been here before likened it to Blackpool in England but I though it was still really peaceful - more of a Filey if anything.
One thing to note Bundoran is long and thin with bus stops at each end of the place but some distance from the Holyrood which is just about in the centre. I would recommend the general area for anyone who likes wonderful scenery and friendly people. Budoran is just about perfect for a short stay or longer if you have your own transport.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank DaveLeedsWestYorks
cookstown
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

Booked this hotel for my Parent's. An early Father's day present. Having just spoke to them about their stay, I wanted to thank the Holywood and their staff for the lovely weekend they have just had. Breakfast was great and their evening meal was excellent. They could not praise it enough.
The bedroom was lovely although the bathroom did need updating.
They are already thinking about staying again very soon.
Thank you to all the staff , who my parents said were all very polite and very fiendly.

• Stayed June 2010
scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2010

booked hotel for 5 night stay room we were given was really dirty, tiles off wall in bathroom cracked sink, bath dirty, towels were grey not white. Bed covers not fresh made complaint and we were moved to a different room next day for rest of holiday.Room that we were given was ok but not great. Staff on reception were helpful but could not give full marks for rest of staff. Would we stay again? NO would we recommend? NO

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Bundoran hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

This is the dingiest and dirtiest hotel my family and I have ever stayed in.It is absolutely beyond me how the health and safety authority has no closed it down.Apart from the mould and mildew in the rooms the broken plug sockets and lack of fire alarm in rooms pose a bigger threat.There is a ten euro deposit for the remote and even that dosent ensure your viewing as tv didn't work even with remote.Rang reception and got arrogant man who seemed to be working the whole weekend also illegal,who got very annoyed and said he would come up to room.Hadn't arrived within half hour so rang again and got shouted at.Stayed in room 227 which was second room we were originally booked into room 136.We were in the room 5 minutes and decided we could not stay there.The room was absolutely filthy I don't know what was on the walls and wouldn't care to know either.The curtains were hanging off their rail.I would not recommend this Kip yo my worst enemy.

• Stayed June 2010
sligo ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

Stayed in this hotel for the June bank holiday firstly found the car park easily we arrived early at 11am could not get our room keys till 3.30pm which I thought was rather late the rooms were ok but old fashioned no airconditioning the tv was small with no remote control the hotel is getting run down and needs to be modernised especially the bedrooms but it was still good value and we got a good Irish breakfast in the morning looking on a plus side this hotel has good leisure facilities with a kiddies club and plenty of activities for children, the hotel is situated in bundoran town which makes it easy for people to visit the local amusement arcades and the beach and restaurants and shops, the last nite was spoiled somewhat with the noise coming from a niteclub very near the hotel the noise woke me up which went on for two hours.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
derry
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

I have stayed in many hotels in Ireland and this has to be the worst one. the price was a rip off for the quality of the room. The staff were very rude especially one particular girl who was serving the food. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bundoran
Great Northern Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa

Been to The Holyrood Hotel? Share your experiences!