“Unbelievable bad for a hotel in the 21st centuary”
Review of The Holyrood Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bundoran
Reviewed November 24, 2008

myself and my girlfriend stayed here in june for a weekend, to be honest we had to laugh at the place it was soo bad... I dont know who was the man on reception, but he was the most ignorant person ever, curseing under his breath, nearly giving out that we had the cheek to check in... the room on the first floor was so bad, the door would not even lock properly. everything creaked and the bathroom was filthy. it was like the hotel del boy stayed on the jolly boys outing in Brighton all those years ago.
the owners of this hotel better start to seriously think about knocking this place and starting again. the biggest smoking room in Ireland??? big wow.

• Stayed: June 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank irishmagoo81
There are newer reviews for The Holyrood Hotel

Reviewed October 4, 2008

My wife and i stayed at the hotel and, i have to say that it was the worst experience ever, the spa was dirty, there was nobody at reception to air my concerns to only a man called Marty or martin, he was so rude and didnt want to listen to me. how in this day in age can hotels hire these kind of people. It costs nothing to have manners. i asked to speak to his manager and he told me that he has no manager as he was the general manager!!! this was hard to believe as he stood there with his shirt hanging out and not clean shavin.! i gave up, i was there to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. we stayed that night and left the following morning, and suprise suprise he was there on check out, he asked us if we enjoyed our stay!!! I NEARLY CRYED! Seriously how can this man be imployeed there, after me voicein my concerns to him the day before! NEVER AGAIN WILL I RETURN

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Fionas5
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for one night only paying 160 Euro for family room. Room were just about clean. no nice little touches, had to pay 10 Euro for remote to work television! (Refunded upon leaving). Located on first floor at back of hotel with windows so dirty it was hard to see the rain! Bar food was good but my nightmare started when the disco below began and ran until 3am!! I had no idea that there was a disco or I certainly would not have booked the hotel for my family. 5am I was still awake as the revellers finally made their way home or staggered past our bedroom shouting for a group hug!! Hotel not to be recommended for anything - sorry I did not book else where.

Dolores Co Tyrone

5  Thank doloresCoTyrone
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We had decided to have a short break to get away from all this talk of the credit crunch, the amercian elections, how Kerry is going to win their 3 All Ireland in a row etc etc so we packed our bags, the kids and the mum in laws and headed north to Donegal's own Las Vegas - Bundoran. On the way up the road the spirits were high and the journey only took a few hrs with there being no PSNI on the road checking for tax evaders and the likes. We pulled outside the Holyrood Hotel and first impressions were ok - not the Ritz but sure what do you expect for 140euros a nite. Checking in was tame enough and we made our way up to the rooms on the 1st floor. The bathroom in my room was a sight - a bit of jif and some elbow grease would have not gone amiss! I'm sure the view to the back of the hotel would have been lovely if we could have seen out of the bleeding windows. Where is Kevin Mone when you need him! We had to pay a 10euro deposit for the remote control which as it turns out didnt actually work. After a dip with the kids in waterworld, losing a small fortune on the slot machines and a few go's on the wee dippers we headed bk to the hotel for our evening meal. Whilst the food was good the staff were about as far of the mark as the Fermanagh forwards!! However unknown to us the best was yet to come! The kids were getting progessively scared of the singer in the lounge and coupled with the prospect that we might make them join into the childrens train making its way around the front foyer, we all headed of to bed about 12.00. What we hadnt been told that everyone in Donegal seems to make their way to the Holyrood Hotel in Fundoran for the saturday night disco which was located just below our rooms. We spent 3 hrs listening to everything from billy joel to the tings tings praying that the national anthem would come on soon signalling the end to our night of hell. At about 3.15am this happened though there was stil some music going on in either some other part of the hotel or in a nearby hostelry so the bed was still moving from the vibrations. This caused my sister to be still doing the Irish News crossword at 5am on Sunday morning. Needlesstosay the humour wasnt good and after a few cross words at reception we made our departure vowing to never darken their door again!

3  Thank Bernie007
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Where to start? Myself, hubby and two small kids went for a long weekend. Requested a quiet room with sea view. We were given a room directly over the very noisy night club which is part of the hotel. Worse still, a large window only a few inches above my 4 year olds bed opened fully out - this was 3 storeys up. We asked for window locks - no joy - so we asked to move and were given a smelly, dirty room up many stairs (no lift) and down many corridors. We had to shift all our luggage ourselves. The bed covers were stained, the bathroom smelt of stale urine and the surfaces and light fittings had not been recently cleaned. We had booked a family package which had promised a kid's club. This comprised a bouncy castle in a dirty and jaded old function room with 2 bored assistants eating their lunch and reading the paper whilst the kids ran amok. On to the 'Leisure Centre'. There were no lockers that locked. The steam room was broken. The jacuzzi was cold. I did, however, have a nice facial with a very sweet masseuse. For the evening's entertainment, anyone with kids was restricted to sitting in the foyer where there weren't enough chairs to go around. We did not have towels in our rooms for 2 nights running. We did not have pillow cases either and had to call twice for these. We had no hot water one morning. The duty manager told us that this was because there was a lever outside which could be switched off by anyone who felt like it! Oh please. The common areas of the hotel were dirty. I could go on but, quite frankly, I've given enough time to this poor excuse for a hotel. Don't go!

1  Thank Galwaygirl26
Reviewed August 18, 2008

we were passing through bundoran, and decided to stay for the night. we went to the holyrood looking for a room. we were charged 150.00 euro for a double room , we were told if we waited for a couple of hours they would give us one of their best rooms. we went back to the hotel at around 4 o clock to book in. we were given a double room at the front of the building. the room was quite standard and dated. the bathroom tiles had hair and gunk on them.
in the hotel bar the staff were quite ignorant and rude
we booked our breakfast the next morning for 9-9.30 to be brought to our room at an extra cost of 5 euros per tray. when our breakfast did not arrive by 10 o clock i rang reception, the staff member was very rude to me and told me to ring the kitchen my self. at which point my self and my husband left the hotel

i would not recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank j0ej0e
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Went for bank holiday weekend on my own, thought the room would have been more up to date, stain on my bedcover, bathroom wasn't very clean could see the dirt around the taps and where on this planet do you get paper foot towels omg didnt like that at all and to top it all no products for use ie: shampoo etc. o yes there was a soap despenser like in a public toilet???? for a hotel to be in the centre of the town always packed you think they would look after their customers and rooms better. I did enjoy the spa!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank jadeerin66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bundoran
Great Northern Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa

Been to The Holyrood Hotel? Share your experiences!