“Nice Hotel with nice seaviews from the Waterfront Bar” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Holyrood Hotel

The Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bundoran
Waterford
“Nice Hotel with nice seaviews from the Waterfront Bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

Enjoyed my stay immensly at the Holyrood Hotel. Nice Bar with nice Sea-Views. Bedrooms were spacious and clean. Nice Leisure Centre and Spa. Staff were friendly and helpful. Will definitly be back again.
Plenty to do in Bundoran, fantastic walk around the Headland of Bundoran with wonderful views of the Atlantic Ocean.

Elizabeth from Waterford

• Liked — Spacious Bedroom with Sea View
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

After reading others comments on this hotel I was a bit weary, my husband booked us in for a romantic weekend and I can honestly say I had the time of my life.

On arriving I found the Hotel spacious and beautifully decorated, the gentleman on reception treated us like we were his best friends and got us checked in, in a matter of minutes. I did ask about the €10 dep for the remote control and was told it was due to people taking them home ( I had no problem with the deposit as I have often had the experience in other hotels of having to struggle with a romote stuck to the side of a bed, anyway we got our €10 back on departure)

The room was beautiful, it was so spacious I was sorry we didn't bring our two kids, the decor was lovely and we had a fabulous view. I am obsessed with cleanliness so imagine my delight (and my husband's) when I gave it the thumbs up, I mean the bathroom..was perfect. One way I test a hotel room is by pulling the bed out, you will always know how good the cleaning is......well congratulations Holyrood keep your cleaning staff on board.

We dined in the restaurant that night and to our delight the owner who is Biran McEniff came over to us and struck up a conversation, he went off to get us a map etc of the area and filled us in on all the facilities. I have to say he is a Gentleman. We are plain eaters and although there was a good selection on the menu I went for a Prawn Cocktail starter and steak , my husband had the garlic Mushrooms and steak. The food was excellent, compliments to the chef.

The bar was next WOW its massive and lively, I was told there is a newly built extention complete with chandeliers for smokers, as a non smoker I didn't bother going for a look.

The restaurant was busy for breakfast however we were quickly seated and enjoyed a full Irish, Our waitress Mary could not have been more attentive, she said she has been there years and I am not surprised.

We headed off to Rossnowlagh for a drive (its about ten minutes away) and had a coffee in Smugglers Creek which is on a cliff overlooking the beach. Breathtaking and a must do if you are in the area. We went on to the town of Donegal where to our delight a farmers market was on.

If I had the kids I would have stayed the day in Bundoran as it seems there are more facilities for children there than anywhere, they have bowling etc waterworld and the Holyrood has a pool and Spa. I had a look around the Spa area but was disappointed that I had no treatments pre boooked as it was a sat afternoon and the girls were booked up - but I did get a seaweed bath, it was my first but won't be my last. For ladies DO book before you arrive or on arrival because you will be disappointed if you leave it too late like I did.

That night we went to the hotels nightclub, its underneath the hotel and I was delighted to see there was a decent age group there. You need to see this club to believe it, there are different themed rooms and bars, my god its like something you would expect to find in the centre of London not Bundoran. It's a place I will definately recommend to my brothers to take their girlfriends.

Overall we had a fabulous weekend, the location, the hotel,the food, the staff were excellent. We will be back with the kids.

• Liked — The size of the room and the cleanliness of it
  • Disliked — Wish they had a double shower
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Tullow, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2008

Went in May on Supervalue getaway breaks, three night stay
2 adults and 3 kids under 10. Did not realise Bundoran is like a Butlins though, but in fairness it brought us back to when we were kids and holidayed in Irish resorts in the late seventies.

Staff are very friendly, helpful and courteous.

Room was dingy and dated, but were allowed change to a more
appealing one without fuss for last two nights.
Must comment on the bedlinen, sheets fine but they need to buy new bedding i.e. blankets stained and very worn with holes in some!!!

Breakfasts (get there in good time)
Staff extremely attentive in the morning, will top up the tea and give you extra toast/brown bread if required. Most important as we love to breakfast as a family when on holidays. The food was a welcome thumbs up.

Pool was very enjoyable with hats and towels there to use.
Bar decor very different , unique but could do with brighter colours
in darker corners, seemed short staffed at the best of times.

Would regard this hotel to be rated as a three star because of spa and pool facilities.

• Liked — The staff and breakfasts
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2008

As I was on business in the area, it seemed like a good choice to stay at the Holyrood.
The room was decent except for the picture quality of the TV.
Being asked for a €10 deposit for the remote I found offensive as if I was going to pack it into my suit travel bag.
On asking for an evening meal I was told by a young barman that I had the option of a carvery meal.
This at 7.30 pm with the food offering consisting of Roast loin of Pork or Stuffed Pork Chops which looked as though they were there since the afternoon. Awful.
But worst of all, as a resident I do not accept a person on a mobile telling me what is available to eat in the middle of a private conversation. I then had to drive to Ballyshannon for a meal.
The breakfast was okay with very polite ladies in service.
My only problem is breakfast starting at 8.30 am is ridiculous with a tour group also present. Never Again.

Since than I have stayed at The Grand Central with what seems to be a new beginning and had a Bar Food And Restaurant Menu offered which were perfect.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
      Cleanliness

Travelers are raving about these Bundoran hotels

Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2008

We stayed in the hotel for a weekend in early feb, there was a large number in our group , so on arrival we were dealt with quickly and given our rooms without much delay. On openin the rooms the smell of smoke was absolutely digusting, it was as if the cleaing staff just smoke in the room while suppose to be cleaning them!!! As my room was to front of hotel and would hear night traffic and people on the street could not leave the window open!! Breakfast next morning cold and just not nice!! We use the hotels facliities that day the pool and spa were about the only thing that was good!! We had booked our meal for the sat evening which had been prepared from sat morn!!!! I orderd fish starter and main course as a coastal hotel thinkin fresh fish!! No don't think so over all the food was terrible.
I would only stay inthis hotel again if i had absolutely no choice to stay anywhere else!!!!

• Stayed February 2008
Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2008

The reception is what you would call retro – dodgy wallpaper & carpet, the desk dosen’t seem to have a computer which was a bit weird for a hotel in 2008! Our room was a good size but a bit dark and old fashioned. However, we saw two other rooms across the hall which have been refurbished recently and looked much nicer and more luxurious. The TV reception was dire also you could barely make out the picture and you have to pay a 10euro deposit to get a remote control which is a bit of a joke. The shower was really powerful though!

We had dinner in the bar downstairs one night & I have to say the food was pretty bad – reheated, bland, bad quality food and the desserts were stale too. As for breakfast, not a great choice just cereal, orange juice & the run of the mill fry up. If you are a smoker the one great thing the bar has is a huge covered smoking veranda which apparently is the largest covered smoking area in Europe! Handy for when its raining!

The Spa is about the best thing the hotel has got going for it – a good range of treatments and nice relaxing atmosphere. I had a facial which was lovely, decent prices and the staff there I found were really friendly and helpful. There is a 5% discount for residents with some treatments. The pool is good as well. As for the gym I’d say give it a miss! The machines were fairly dated and weren’t even plugged in! Plus there was no water cooler or TV in there to relieve the boredom.

Overall I’d day give the hotel a miss but definitely visit the Spa, well worth it!

• Liked — The Spa & pool
  • Disliked — Poor food & decor!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2008

I had read some not very flattering reviews about this hotel but we wantd to make up our own minds. The first thing that stikes you at reception is they dont have a computer at the desk, this fits in with my 'Stuck in the 90s Theory'. As you walm up the stairs to the rooms the smell of stale smoke was overwhelming and this smellcontinued into our room which was spacious but again old fashioned. Small things like knobs from the drawers were missing whihc would only be a small job to fix. We had a dinner included in our package and had the restaurant menu in the bar. The food was definitely below par- lasagne was reheated and crusty, the fresh fish was overly battered and the salad that accompanied the meals were literally a few leaves of lettue and crudely cut tomato. The cocktails in the bar were very nice though!
Breakfast was once again a truly 90s affair-3 choices of cereal, orange juice and toast and a fry. No fruit or anything a little extra.
The leisure club and the spa are this hotels saving grace. We had some treatments including trhe seaweed bath and not only were they lovely, the prices were very reasonable with a discount for some treatments when you stay in the hotel. The girls in the spa were so friendly and made us so comfortable and gave us information on all the local hotspots! The pool etc was nice too, it was busy with kids when I was there but there were quiet times too for relaxing purposes.
Staff seemed to be going through the motions, everywhere from the reception, the breakfast and the bar. They were busy but most hotels in 2008 have to cope with this business and they do. We had once small request as I was sick on the Sunday but it seemed like a large hassel to them, just not very accomodating.
All in all, Bundroan is stuck in the 90s, not just the Holyrood Hotel, back in a time when Bundoan was THE place to go on a Summer holiday, before we all went on sun holidays this was our beach resort. The nightlife was excellent and the hotel was full of footballers down to train on the local beaches. This could be a downside for people looking for a quiet night, but definitely a plus for a group of single girls!

• Liked — The pool and spa, location
  • Disliked — Old fashioned, smell of smoke
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bundoran
Great Northern Hotel
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh

Been to The Holyrood Hotel? Share your experiences!