“Worst hotel stay ever” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bundoran
Dublin
“Worst hotel stay ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Where to start? When I checked in I was asked to be pay in advance - by the next morning I could understand why. My request for a receipt was greeted with incredulous looks and I had to wait a while for it. I don't recall having to ask for a receipt in other hotels - you are just handed it after you pay. I took heavy bags up in the lift to discover that there was then a further set of steps (!) leading to my room and that the swipe card didn't work for my room. Back down the steps with my bags, into the lift and return to reception. No apology from staff on reception. Once in my room, I noticed a fresh stain on the bin in the bathroom (bodily fluids, say no more). Also, the toilet lid did not lift / close unless you removed the toilet roll from the holder placed above the lid! The major problem with this hotel is that there is no sound-proofing - the disco ends at 2.30am. I thought it was just my room but family members sleeping in rooms in other parts of the hotel said the same. No chance of sleep until the disco ends. No wonder they want to be paid up front. When I came down in the morning, there was no-one at the reception desk although I could hear someone shuffling around the back office. No idea where the breakfast room was - no signs, it's accessed via a corridor or two behind reception. I followed the smell of burning toast. Breakfast was a reminder of hotel stays in the bad old days - incredibly not a single piece of fresh fruit on offer, no fresh bread, no yoghurts, no healthy options... Just cereal, tinned grapefruit segments, fry-up components and white sliced bread for the toaster. I saw something that might have been porridge but I wasn't tempted. The plates / cups on the table are ancient and stained through long-use. Clearly, very little has been spent over the years to keep this place up to a decent standard, although they have managed to keep their prices up to date. I'm guessing they musn't have much competition. They seem to have a lot of C&W bands playing there so maybe that's how they pack them in!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank OserDublin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Polish first
Falcarragh, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stopped for lunch one Sunday afternoon, place was busy but not full, few tables available. You have to order food at bar, bar is messy, disorganised, everything seems to happen in this area, wrapping cutlery, not managed very well, staff seem very inexperienced.
Ordered and paid for food. Drinks arrived, I ordered coffee, very large cup of coffee arrived, I was well impressed until I held the cup, it was sooooo dirty and dusty. I rubbed saucer and got a layer of dust from it.... YUCK.
Waited over an hour for Goujons and chips, small portion when it did arrive. No apology from staff, actually staff didn't even speak.

Room Tip: Clicked sleep quality by mistake, I didn't stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Sharon W
Allingham A, Manager at Allingham Arms Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for your recent review.
It is evident from your comments that we did not operate to our usually high standards on your visit and for this, I apologise.
However, I am surprised to hear your comments in relation to our staff and level of customer service. Our staff regularly receive high praise for their friendliness and efficiency; as is evident in other reviews on this site.
Unfortunately, I am going to have to dispute the comment in relation to the waiting time for the goujons and chips, there isn't a premises in Ireland where you would be expected to wait such a length of time for a simple meal and not bring it to anyone's attention.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Very welcoming reception that set the tone for the hospitality we received during our 2 night stay as a family. Great views of the ocean from our rooms. Busy bar downstairs with live music and a great atmosphere. Good breakfast selection. Attentive staff. Great base for a Bundoran holiday break, beach on the doorstep, coastal walks, lots of activities for children, surfing, amusements, water park and relaxing in the hotel.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms were worth booking
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Neil W
Thank you for leaving a positive review following your recent stay. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
louth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

stayed here for 2 nites, the hotel is 2 min walk from the center of bundoran. the rooms were big, clen and comfortable. the staff were pleasant and very helpful. i would defo recommend this hotel to anyone. only complaint was breakfast finished at 10 which i taught was too early if i was goin again id book room only and not B&B

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sparmac
Allingham A, Manager at Allingham Arms Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your recent review, I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for also mentioning that you would recommend us to others. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in the middle of Bundoran for one night B&B with 3 kids last week during the Irish heatwave and was delighted with everything. the staff were helpful and courteous, the room lovely, the breakfast fantasic. Excellent for familes and couples and good music at night in the lounge and not expensive. Lovely big beach in Bundoran itself with plenty of places to eat.would def stay again. I asked for a quiet room, and got it, we had a lovely nights sleep on comfortable beds.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mumof3Ireland
Allingham A, Manager at Allingham Arms Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent review, I am glad that you enjoyed your short break away, I will pass your kind comments on to the staff. Thank you for pointing out that we are ideal for both families and couples, we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Letterkenny, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last year and found room old and dated but was pleasantly surprised this visit, room was much nicer, and not as dated, reception staff were very friendly, only downfall was room was above something which made a lot of noise all night, maybe a fan or jets in a kitchen

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Anastacia R
Thank you for your recent review, I am glad that you were able to experience some of the improvements we make to the hotel on an annual basis. We endeavour to carry out work on a particular area of the hotel each winter to enable us to maintain the quality and move with the times. We hope to see you again soon.
Waterford, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed in the Allingham for 3 nights b&b and I have to say the moment I entered the hotel the receptionist was friendly so I knew I was off to a good start . Had a problem with the card key to enter my room but returned to reception and instantly the girl changed the card for me and I was on my way again. room was what I paid for nice décor had most essentials ie kettle hairdryer the only downfall was no iron had to be got at reception .Breakfast was well done and plenty for everybody and staff were helpful and it was nice to have a friendly face greet you as you entered well done to all staff there. I tried the bar food and the staff were pleasant and food was served quickly and nicely presented . I also attented the music events in the hotel all weekend and I have to say it was most enjoyable well done to the dj before the shows and also to security I felt so secure with so many attending and everything was runs so smooth .Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to young and old alike and well done Donegal the most friendly people I have ever met . Cant wait to return soon .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank liam g
Thank you for your recent review and for your kind comments in relation to the hotel and staff. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bundoran
The Holyrood Hotel
#1 of 4 in Ballyshannon
The Abbey Hotel
The Abbey Hotel
#6 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Allingham Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!