“Golfing Weekend in August 2014”

Great Northern Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Bundoran
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I was responsible for organising our stay at the Great Northern for my son, whose is getting married in a few weeks and our extended family and friends. It was very important that it went well.
I found Deirdre who handled all to do with the booking and Sarah who looked after us while we were excellent. Two very professional ladies. All the staff were very welcoming and efficient. The food was excellent and the rooms were lovely. The golf course was in excellent and alot of the views are stunning. The weather was very hot necessitating the delivery of ice cold drinks to very thirsty golfers on the course which the staff in the bar were great to accommodate. We would hope to make it an annual event.

2  Thank Aidan M
GreatN0rthernH0tel, Owner at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Hi Aidan

Thank you for your recent review. It is with great pleasure to read your positive feedback. I will pass your comments on to the staff. I am so very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We would love to welcome you back to the Great Northern Hotel in the near future for another stay.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Room was a bit grubby had to clean the toilet, pool water was was cloudy and area around needed cleaned. Tv channels in rooms were poor and no wifi in rooms couldn't even pick it up in the two areas I was told they had it. Certainly one to mark of our list down that way....

1  Thank Dana M
GreatN0rthernH0tel, Owner at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Dear Dana

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. All feedback is welcome at the hotel as it allows us to monitor each department.

It is with great disappointment to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We at the great northern hotel are always trying to give a high standard of service, I am sorry we did not achieve this on your stay.

I have passed your comments on to housekeeping and I will make sure to talk to our maintenance team regarding the pool water.

Our WIFI service has been dropping in and out of signal but we have contacted the provider and they are working on making this service better.

I really do hope we can welcome you back to the great northern hotel and that we can live up to our 4 star status.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed in this hotel last weekend and were extremely disappointed with it.I booked it as it is four star rated but soon after checking in, realized it might once have been, but certainly isnt now!
We were early to check in(approximately 2 pm) but were given our key to our room to drop our bags.As a result of that we entered the room to the way the previous nights guests had left it.!
We then ordered lunch in the hotel bar and found both the bar service and the food mediocre.
We spent the afternoon exploring Bundoran and surrounds.The town of Bundoran is run down, half the shops, bars and apartments etc are empty and unkept.Certainly not the seaside town we were expecting.
We ate in the hotel bar on the first evening as there was nothing appealing locally but again were rdisappointed with it.The menu was the worst menu I have ever seen.The salad was limp and uninteresting, the chips were frozen, the chicken burger was a wedge of breadcrumbed unidentifiable meat.It was completely overpriced for what it was.There were plenty of bar staff but they were completely incompetent .We niticed a few other guests complaining about their inefficiency also.
Iused the pool and gym on Saturday, both in need of a good clean.Parts of the carpet was sellotaped together.The windows looked as if they hadnt been cleaned in years.Our bedlinen was clean but tatty as were some of the fixtures and fittings.
This hotel could be fabulous, its in a great location, all be it a run down seaside town that has seen much better days.Scenically, its stunning, but to our disdain looks , in this case, are very deceiving.

Room Tip: Couldn't give a positive tip
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sandyDublin_ireland

Dear Sandy

I was sorry to read of your disappointing experience when you stayed with us recently.

I would very much welcome the opportunity of responding to you in detail directly and to that end I would be delighted if you would contact me on briani@greatnorthernhotel.com or phone 0719841204.

Thank you very much for giving us your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
Brian Mc Eniff

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights dinner, bed & breakfast...this is our 2nd stay in the hotel & we have had lovely experiences on both visits...staff are welcoming , friendly & very helpful with the owner chatting with guests each evening at dinner ...a nice Irish touch!Everywhere very clean if a little dated ( this just adds to the experience in a good way!)Breakfast everyday is great with choice of fruits, cereals,juices and cooked meals, dinners were 4 course meals with varying menus each evening and all delicious and plentiful served by great staff in a large spacious, bright and airy dining room.Great leisure centre with great swimming pool & all the theraputic treatments. Lovely cliff walks , golf on site, lots to do in town which is just a very short walk (large waterworld, cinema, casinos , kids funfair , 2 playparks and one in Hotel grounds...lots to do for all age groups & abilities.

Room Tip: If you like peace & quiet this is the perfect place!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
GreatN0rthernH0tel, Owner at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear Evelyn

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am so very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed your positive comments on to each department manager.

Evelyn we look forward to welcoming you back to the great northern in the near future.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

Stayed here with my wife and my 2 girls (aged 3 and 5). We have stayed in bundoran many times over the years on our own but not in the Great Northern. The hotel is set in a great location, overlooking the sea and bundoran and is surrounded by a golf course (next time im here im having a round or 2) We were a bit aprehensive about taking our 2 girls as we werent sure how well the hotel would cater for children. Have to say it is very child friendly and we didnt feel out of place as there were so many families there. There is a kids club on site but we didnt use it as we had lots to do in bundoran. Although from what i heard from other parents it was actually quite good. We did use the pool and the girls loved it. Had bar food and it was well priced for the 4 of us and served the usual kids favourites and adults alike. Only minor complaint is that the bar service is quite slow but it wasnt as if the lads hadnt been trying. The guinness is good on site.
Breakfast was ok, and is served to you so there is no need to get up and get your own.
Family room was spacious and ours had a view of one of the golf greens. As if it wasnt tempting enough. Had a double and 2 single beds. Decor is a bit dated but for some reason i felt it added character.
Staff were pleasant especially when checking in and out. Made us feel like guests and not like we were a hinderance.
Would like to return again and make us of the kids club and of course the golf. Would return as a family, as a couple or with a group as this hotel caters for all. Our 2 girls really loved it there and are jumping at the chance to get back.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank darren g
GreatN0rthernH0tel, Owner at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Dear Darren g,

Thank you for choosing to visit us and for taking the time to provide a review of your experience with our hotel.

I am delighted to read that you loved our location, enjoyed the food and our wonderful Guinness here. Just to let you know we have refurbished many of our rooms and hope to finish all rooms by the end of the year. We pride ourselves on our Old World charm here but we also like to keep rooms updated and fresh.
I hope on your next visit you will avail of the amazing Kids Club we have to offer our families which will give you time to fit in those 2 rounds of Golf that must not be missed!!!

Once again thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Bundoran very soon where I hope we will exceed your expectations in all aspects of your stay.

Kind regards,
Brian Mc Eniff

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Stayed here with my. Mam and Dad octogenarians ( Mam has limited mobility)for the weekend the booking from the uk was great Sharon really understood what I needed it was a last minute booking but every effort was made to accommodate us and offer good value for money. my parents were delighted with the service. Great location friendly helpful staff good entertainment and lots of information reception always manned with a friendly smile Martina happy to engage in conversation and give info after I am sure was along busy day! I would certainly stay again. The views from the room were great as a suggestion but really minor the only blight was that rubbish container area any chance of moving it out of eye shot from the rooms.

Room Tip: For disabled 1st floor rm 151 ample room two bathrooms great for sharing lift good size and in good...

Dear Brenda

Thank you for the positive feedback. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Great Northern Hotel.

I have passed your comments on to the head of each department. Your feedback allows us to better all areas of the hotel, I have made the groundskeeper aware of your comments about the rubbish container, we will make sure to address this in full.

Again Brenda thank you for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Great Northern Hotel.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Just back from 3 night family break(Mon Aug 11th-Thur 14th)2 adults and 2 kids aged 6 and 8), room average size double single and a fold up bed.Decor throughout hotel(from carpets to velvet wall paper) very old fashioned stairs would remind you of grannys house.There are actual keys to the doors of bedrooms instead of key cards!For a four star the toiletries in bathroom was minimalSwimming pool small wouldnt take too much for it to be full.We had meals included.I am always wary when the food arrives very soon after ordering and how right i was.Meat was tough, vegetables overcooked and dry and the potatoes watery.It looked like the meals were already cooked and either kept in oven or reheated.We were advised to book our table for dinner in the morning at reception but on two evenings the booking at reception never made it to the staff in dining room so we didnt bother booking on the third night.Limited choice at breakfast cooked breakfast to order but same seemed a bit dry., i have been at far superior 4 star hotels.Would go back to Bundoran but not the Great Northern.Maybe if the food quality was seriously improved and the dining room staff more training then you could probably overlook the old fashion bit but for a four star i expect alot more.Almost forgot no WiFi in bedrooms only in bar

1  Thank Aileen S

Dear Aileen

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have passed your comments on to the management of each department.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your food at the hotel, I have made the chef aware of your comments and I would like to assure you that this will not happen again. All food is cooked to order so I will look into why the food was served to you in a "dry” state.

With regards to the “minimal bathroom toiletries” if you required more supplies we would have been more than happy to supply you with these on request.

Complimentary Wi-Fi is available to all guests in our lobby, bar & restaurant. We are currently working on getting this free service throughout the hotel.

We are always trying to meet our 4 star status, I apologies that we did not achieve this on your stay. If you are back in Bundoran we would love to welcome you back to the Great Northern Hotel for another stay.

Brian McEniff

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bundoran
The Holyrood Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa

Been to Great Northern Hotel? Share your experiences!