“fantastic hotel unique old world charm”

Great Northern Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Bundoran
Reviewed April 3, 2013

fantastic...booked for two nights b&b and evening meal. online booking so contacted the hotel by email to request sea view..didnt expect this but on arrival jackie made a point of saying 'and we got you a room with a sea view' this was great made us feel very welcome. jackie was fabulous very informative in a friendly way. a unique quality indeed. our room was very clean and roomy. views were amazing. loved the big welcoming fire lit in the lobby in the evening. after using the leisure centre which again was clean and very well laid out we went into the bar for some light evening food big portions and for a 4 star hotel i found the prices competative indeed.
breakfast was excellent well laid out in the dining room with again great views to be had. evening meal was beautiful, relaxed, and thoroughly enjoyable. what more can i say ...the whole experience was great, the staff are fantastic. would definately be back again at the great northern hotel...well done great northern!!

Room Tip: always good to ask for a sea view..if available they would accomodate.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,051)

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed here many years ago. I though ti was to far out the main section. The rooms were old and the staff was wonderful. Of course I'm a DOHERTY, therefore I give high marks to the staff and the check in people. But it was ok and i thought after reading the reviews that it would have been upgrade. I'm back in five days but differernt hotel
All the Best
Phyllis
Doherty-Mclaughlin

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

22 mums/sisters/daughters escaped for the weekend to Bundoran and it proved a great decision. The Great Northern Hotel was our base - another great decision. We were fortunatel in the weather, dry , sunny but a little chilly but there was no chill in the hotel, just a great welcome, lovely bedrooms and the menus were a delight, great choice and thoroughly enjoyed by us all. Though the hotel was full to the rafters it was so spacious and the staff could not do enough for us. We oldies even enjoyed the nightly musical entertainment. We had trips to Rossnowlagh, Glencolmcille, Ardara, Killybegs and Enniskillen on the way home and with a final stop for dinner at Lisgrey House Hotel, Virginia our weekend away got the full thumbs up from all of us.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed here recently on a business trip. The staff in the hotel and really friendly and efficient. It was a quiet evening midweek and I had a pleasant walk around the town before returning to the hotel for dinner in the bar. The food was quite good and the service was efficient and pleasant. There were a few other diners who seemed to be enjoying the food and the ambience. There was a nice fire in one area. My room was large and clean and I had a really good sleep.
Breakfast was lovely, in a very large dining room with windows facing the golf club and the sea. It was a cold, dry sunny morning so the view was pleasant. There was a lovely fire lighting in the dining room...the only downside was that I was the only diner. I imagine that other guests may have been on a pleasure, rather than a business, trip. It was a good visit and I would use this hotel again as the price was very reasonable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Iosaif
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, I have never written a review on trip advisor and I rarely read them but boredom led me to stumble upon reviews for this hotel, we got married here this year and as my title suggests, I just don't get all the negative reviews?! We couldn't have been happier with our weekend here and neither could any of our wedding party, we were delighted with the choice to get married here, the setting was unbeatable, we got some of the most amazing pictures! Everyone was extremely happy with the rooms, honestly only got one complaint the whole weekend from our wedding guests and that was about 1 bartender being lazy, not something I'd scathe the whole hotel for! The food we got all weekend was top class, the kids in our party loved the leisure centre and play park, this is a good hotel.... Also Karen who helped organize our reception and more is amazing at her job, we really had the best day of our lives! And as I said before, the whole wedding contigent felt the same, everyone went back up the county feeling happy and relaxed, give it a chance, it really isnt as bad as some reviews suggest....

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My kids and i stayed here recently and found it to be a wonderful experience.The staff were very friendly and helpful.We had a sea view room which was lovely to wake up to each morning.The rooms were comfortable and spacious.The facilities were excellent ,i had a fight to get the kids out of the pool,lol.There was a great selection on the menu for breakfast and it was thoroghly enjoyed We will be back :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay in the Great Northern Hotel from the moment we entered the avenue. It is based on a wonderful hill with amazing views, its like the castle of Bundoran. We booked a cheap package through the hotel itself and could not believe the prices we paid for a four star hotel. The staff really are a credit to the hotel and we even met the owner who greeted us and even played a few songs on the piano for my mother in law. We ate in the dinning room our first night as it was included and i got the steak which was a 8euro supplement which i thought was a tad expensive but when i seen the size of the steak it was definitely worth it, very tasty and the young waitress told me the meat was all locally bought, as knew was friends with the butchers daughter. I like the feel and atmosphere of this hotel with all the staff acting as a big family. I felt at home here. Nothing i asked was to small or big. The walk around the hotel was amazing and as my daughter Katie loves Indian the lovely woman behind the desk recommended a very clean Indian restaurant with the owner taking special care of us because we said we were sent from the northern - his name Farid. My youngest child - Jack loves bundoran and therefore we will travel again this Easter when he is off school with my sister Sarah, her husband and beautiful children . I would advice one thing, request a seaview room as they have plenty of room and the views are to die for..

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are amazing
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Davidmcann_19
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bundoran
The Holyrood Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa

Been to Great Northern Hotel? Share your experiences!