“Nothing but excellent”

The Ice House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Ballina
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We've just returned home from having our wedding in the Ice House and can only give praise for such a fabulous hotel.
During our stay as part of our wedding we felt like we made some firm friends out of Ken and the Ice House team, who are a true credit it the hotel, amazing staff (Angela, Lorraine and Shauna to name but a few we came across) on the front desk giving our guests with a warm Irish welcome- so many people commented on this!
Everyone loved their bedrooms, and considering we took over the whole hotel, I feel we got a wide spectrum of opinion. We personally stayed in the Bartra suite for our most recent stay and I slept so soundly (even on the eve of our wedding) that Noel the night porter who brought up my breakfast at 6am had to knock a few times to wake me. You can use the fabulous old shutters to block out very scrap of light or close the curtains and leave gaps. There are plenty of radiators in the room if you like the warmth- personally it was radiators off and windows (beautiful original sash windows) open for me.
Bathrooms are well equipped with beautiful old ceramic sinks, large walk-in rain showers and, in the old heritage part if the hotel,large wooden baths that I think you could swim in!! A nice touch is that candles and matches are placed in the bathroom in case the mood takes you for a candle lit bath.
We've also stayed in a new suite in the past- and the bathroom in that was nearly as big as our bedroom at home!
All in all we couldn't fault a single thing, whilst at the Ice House we utilitised the spa (they have an amazing hot stone massage and outdoor hot tubs overlooking the river), sampled the delights of the restaurant several times and during our wedding breakfast the quality was nothing short of brilliant, as was the service from Joanna the restaurant manager and her fabulous team of waiting staff. We never got his name but there's a fab bar man there who never stops smiling- must be very happy in his work.
We got nothing but compliments on our choice of venue and wedding breakfast menu- the chef Anthony deserves every bit of the praise he received. We had a chef in our wedding party who was dying to get into the kitchen to talk shop with him.
We love the hotel so much we've already booked to go back in a few months and a few of our guests have expressed an interest in returning too.
We had a fun few nights in the local pub Crockets on the Quay which is a few mins walk away. They frequently have bands in there and a great atmosphere which was enjoyed by young and old alike within our party.
I can't quite believe the bad reviews of the Ice House on tripadvisor- can only presume they were 'off days' - we are all allowed those. We heard of no complaints from all of the 32 rooms we occupied at the hotel during our wedding, most of those were taken for at least two nights.

Keep up the great work, Ken. We'll be back soon, we just wish we could do it all again with you!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful inside and out... Our room was spacious and modern... Bathroom was spendid...our balcony had thee best view of the river. Headed to the restaurant where we had an amazing dinner... Steak and chicken... Best we have had in ages.... The staff were extremely helpful and cheerful... I had a spa treat ment the next morning which was out of this world.... The spa itself and the therapist were amazing... By far the best spa I have been too and I have been to many... Breakfast the next day was outstanding again... We both cannot wait to come back....

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kathryn M
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is a great place for a short break...possibly without the children. The spa room we stayed in was amazing, inclusive meal deal was really good, the food was spectacular and the staff so friendly. I cant find fault.....
Crockets bar a short walk away is great if you want a change for food ( a bit cheaper also)... take a trip to the victorian seaweed baths at Enniscrone beach nearby. A perfect few days away.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KDAUG2010
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

After reading other tripadvisor reviews, I wasn't looking forward to our break. Thankfully, everything turned out great.
We were on a special offer package so good value for money. Gorgeous room looking out at a very stormy river - beautiful. Evening meal - 4 stars - really tasty. Breakfast - excellent. Only small quibbles- no reading lamp in the room, very poor lighting, wardrode was too high up for me.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I spent 3 day in the Ice House in Ballina as we had heard so many good things about it. The Ice house is rated as a 5 star spa retreat but I’d like to give you the full story. The weekend we stayed was a glorious weekend regarding the weather. If you ever travel around Ireland you know that typically speaking Ireland in the sun is incredibly beautiful so for the purposes of this review I’ll remain objective and not let that sway me.
On arrival I found the reception staff very friendly & hospitable. On checkin we were greeted with a complimentary glass of bubbles at the bar which is always welcome after a long drive. This however is where my 5 star retreat ended.
The hotel is built in 2 parts, 1 being an original stately home and a more contemporary wing. Rooms are of a superior size but if I am to give you an honest review I’d say 1 or 2 starts have been lost somewhere along the way. I’ll let my photos show you what I mean. The finer details of the room are a disgrace for a 5 star with shoddy wiring, holes in the wall, shower shelves hanging precariously and paint chipping away. What really get my back up here and is unforgivable is that the cosmetic nature of the repairs required and the fact they have not been under taken shows a distinct contempt for the customer.
My second important point to make was the service in the restaurant/bar. In my time travelling only a few other hotels have been as poor on a service level as the Ice House was. The staff on the floor as I have experienced before we they type that run around headless completing half jobs and not quite finishing anything. This may seem harsh however the fact remains that on my stay the wait times were nothing short of shocking. It got to the point when guests were walking up and paying at the till as no one was coming to tables to offer bills and customers were walking up to the same till to order drinks etc. The maitre d was a short blond lady and to be 100% honest was out of her depth.
Am I being harsh in my review ? Maybe however I work very hard and when I take a break and fork out on a 5 star hotel I do expect a certain standard. The Ice house maybe was a 5 star once but for now with my travels as my barometer this hotel has allowed itself to slip in standards, maybe due to the recession, but no the less the problems I have highlighted left me with a bad taste and as such I can’t recommend this hotel under its current guise.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Seanie_pc
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We recently got married at the ice house and it was a top class experience from beginning to end.

The staff were attentive and extremely well trained. Ken, the GM could not do enough for us.

The suites and rooms were all very nice with a number of our guests asking for the make of the matrasses used by the hotel!

The dinner was superb and offered us choices beyond the normal beef or salmon and people were delighted with the choice of duck or turbot.

Drinks were hotel prices as you'd expect in an establishment of this quality, however the dinner package included 3/4 bottle of wine per guest and to be honest, it didn't stop flowing through out the meal.

All in all, between its superb staff, delicious food and beautiful views of the Moy from both rooms and reception hall, I could not recommend the ice house highly enough for any wedding, function or holiday.

My only complaint is that we couldn't extend our stay as it was fully booked :(

Thanks again to Ken and all his team.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Feddie2013
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed for two nights in mid December. We arrived very late on the Friday night and were booked in quickly and efficiently on arrival.The hotel is of a very unusual design not like a typical "Brand" hotel. The room was very spacious with a magnificent view over the river Moy. The bathroom continues the bespoke design nature of the hotel is complete with a very powerful walk in shower.
Because of our late arrival after 22:00 the kitchen was closed but the barman did everything in his power to rustle up a few bar snacks to keep us going. All the staff we encountered were extremely friendly and accommodating and seem to take a great sense of pride in the hotel and their own professionalism.

On the Saturday night we had a meal in the restaurant which was one of the best meals I had ever had in any hotel. The menu is concise but what we ordered was superb, obviously the chef believes in the quality of the food delivered over having a wide range of meals.The meals we had were made using local produce and the steak I had was cooked to perfection. My wife had the Hake and again it was faultless. I was told that a new chef had just taken up residence and I hope that the hotel has the sense to hold on to him. While the hotel itself is very attractive the icing on the cake was the fabulous evening meal.

The breakfast consists of a buffet table and a hot breakfast menu. The hot breakfast is cooked to order and again using local produce. I have since sourced the award winning puddings in Dublin.
I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and will be back in the summer to have more super food and get a better appreciation of the view of the Moy.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brian F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballina
Mount Falcon Estate
#5 of 9 in Ballina
Diamond Coast Hotel
Diamond Coast Hotel
#2 of 3 in Enniscrone

Been to The Ice House Hotel? Share your experiences!