“So relaxing” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Ballina
Donegal Town, Ireland
“So relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed in the icehouse for a relaxing night away before we get married, and it was so relaxing, staff were professional and friendly, we stayed in the wedge wood suite, and it was amazing. The spa was fab! The only disappointment was that we could only stay one night! Thanks to all the staff especially Noreen for looking after us so well during our stay! Can't wait to come back!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank julesnmike
ICEHOUSETEAM, General Manager at The Ice House Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear julesnmike,

Our sincere thanks for taking the time to air your views regarding your recent visit to the Ice House; they are very much appreciated by everyone here at the Hotel.

We wish you both every happiness for the future and that your enjoyed Wedding Day

Hopefully it will not be to long before your return visit to Ballina and celebrate you wedding anniversary!!!

Ken and the Team at the Ice House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Myself and my partner booked this 3 day getaway in search of a bit of relaxation and unwind time. Upon arrival, we were made feel welcome with a glass of champagne and our bags were taken to the room while we sat with our glasses in the "parlour".

We were then taken to our room. "The Bronze Room". It was huge. 2 TV's, seating area with a sound system, and a partition separating the bedroom. Off the bedroom was a big balcony with 2 chairs and a table. Our room was overlooking the River Moy and it was beautiful at night.
The bed was extremely comfortable and I didnt notice the "paper thin" walls that other reviewers had mentioned. The only way we could hear our neighbours was if we both had our windows open.
The "Apple TV" is the ONLY reason that I didn't give this hotel 5/5. If you're going to have a system in a room for your guests to enjoy then the staff should at least ensure that it works properly. We are very "techy" people and there's not much we can't figure out when it comes to technology. The Apple TV & Logitech remote control are ridiculous (This is coming from someone who loves Apple and owns multiple Apple devices).

It took forever to connect when we first arrived (even still, it stopped working from the first evening and was constantly "running diagnostic checks" according to the screen).
The "instructions" that were provided were not helpful at all. I can only imagine someone who may not have interest in technology would have found this. Stressful and annoying would be my thought. In my opinion this is not something that can be fixed with "maintenance". A new system would be advised in this instance.

As I said, this is the only criticism I have with the hotel. The breakfast isn't the best either but it does the trick. The hotel is a good long walk from the town itself but as far as we could see there seems to be a fixed taxi rate with the hotel of €5 which is quite good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Memma87
Dear Memma87

Thank you indeed for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Ice House. They are very much appreciated.
I cannot agree with you more on the issue of the music system. This is something that is earmarked for repair / replacement. (Very complicated even for me!1)

Still, I am very pleased that you both enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming back in the not to distant future,

Warm regards
Ken Bergin
Enfield, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife & I recently stayed at The Ice House on a one night's B&B basis. Based on previous reviews here we were looking forward to our stay.

The location of the hotel is right on the banks of the River Moy and the views from the hotel have the wow factor. That is about the only positive to take from our visit.

We checked in and were immediately offered a glass of champagne which we declined but went for a coffee instead. First problem. We had to ask for our coffee, twice. Eventually it arrived. After we finished our coffee we were brought to our room.

By the nature and design of the building you have to go down a number of flights of stairs to get to your room. The person who brings the luggage to your room (as per previous reviews) must have been off the day we arrived as we had to bring our own to our room. We had to walk through the spa area to get to our room.

The bedroom itself was nice. Floor to ceiling windows with lovely view of the estuary. Spacious room and large ensuite bathroom. Clean but already the furniture is beginning to date with scratches and scuff marks. The room appears to have been recently painted with evidence of paint marks on the back of the TV fitting and sockets.

My wife had a treatment in the spa. It was functional.

There is a restaurant and bar in the hotel. The bar itself was very quiet and did not encourage one to stay and have a relaxing drink. Even on All Ireland Quarter Final day with Mayo playing there was no atmosphere.

We decided that we would have bar food but despite being advertised as serving until 9pm we were informed that it had stopped at 7pm. Fortunately there was a nearby pub, Crockets on the Quay, within walking distance of the hotel where we went to instead.

The following morning we went for breakfast in the restaurant. My wife had a cold buffet, I had a full Irish. Based on what I got served I was glad we didn't eat in the hotel the previous night. A Full Irish consisted of 1 sausage, 1 bacon, 1 fried egg, 1 tomato, four mushrooms and half a black pudding. Presentation and quality was very poor. Needless to say I didn't eat it. Normally with served breakfasts toast would accompany it but not here - you have to make your own.

Regretfully I didn't complain but at the time I just wanted to leave and head home.

My wife checked out. We had a voucher for our stay and the total amount for our stay including my wife's spa treatment came to €3 less than the voucher value. The €3 was returned to us in the form of a voucher. For an amount less than €10 could this not have been given back in cash?

The Ice House Hotel is a Spa with accommodation. They should focus on their spa. Accommodation, food and beverage is obviously not a strong point.

The staff from reception to bar/restaurant to spa are functional but with none of the hospitality and friendliness that Irish hotels market themselves.

Needless to say we will not be returning to spend our €3 voucher!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bridgewell
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

July 13 my Mother and Sister and Friend went to the Ice house Ballina for a Girls Spa Day retreat and lunch... there was a great deal on for 75euro which included scones on arrival, 1 hour spa treatment and lunch afterwards.
We arrived to the hotel 45 mins prior to our treatment, we were informed by reception to head down to the spa area to check in, which we did.

We then asked for our tea and scones and they lady on Spa reception informed us that we should head into the restaurant area and inform them that you have arrived and are on the spa deal. We proceeded to the restaurant and met with one staff there, he said there was refurbishment going on and we had to go back up to the lobby area and he would bring up the 4 teas and scones. This was 11.20, we waited there in this tiny lobby having to share seating area as there was little or no room there. I had to go back down to restaurant area to see what was taking so long for tea & scones this is almot 20 mins later we still did not receive the tea scones and we had to be in the spa at 12 and they knew that. I proceeded to head back down to the restaurant and met this guy again who told me that they were on the way in a very sharp manor... I went back up and by 11/45 they had arrived... we had to scoff them down in 10 mins which was not enjoyable at all.
The treatments were nice but the relaxing area was very poor, 4 seats only to relax in of which two were already taken up... so the other two girls just went outside, it was a large room and could easily take 2 more chairs, I also noticed that the floor was dirty and could have done with a good hover and wash.
The outside are looking onto the river was fab and we spent a hour out there as it was more relaxing and the day was lovely. Thank God it was otherwise there was little are to relax after/before your treatment.
2 of us bought some products, but there was one product which had no price, we asked the receptionist how much it was and she checked her list said she didst know, but never went to find out from someone else how much it was, so we left it... which was a loss on there behalf.

We then went up to reception on first floor and informed them we were finished and they then told us that we would have to sit at lobby area again, we told them that there was no room, all seats (10) had been taken up... so they told us to go down to main restaurant area which was closed due to renovation and they would serve us there. When we went down there was one area we could sit. We ordered 3 fish chips, 1 steak... We waited 1 hour for fish and chips and 1.15 for steak, it was a joke.
Staff was passing us continuously and eventually we had to call the waitress to find out what was wrong, she said the computer was broken and the kitchen had not got the order this was almost 40 mins after we had ordered. We then had to ask for some breads as we were very hungry, eventually the fish came out but the steak was still late, leaving us to eat and be finished before my sisters dinner appeared. The fish was greasy and so were the chips full of oil on the plate was disgusting.. I informed the what seemed to be a manager that we we were very unhappy almost two hours waiting there just for light lunch.... and we had plans made that now had to be cancelled. He sent us down coffee each except my sister who was still eating her steak.
Not one of the management came over to apologise nor was anything offered bar coffee to three of us as we had to wait for other girl to finish. When leaving I informed one of the receptionist and she just said sorry they were under pressure due to renovating the room downstairs... A pathetic excuse, there was staff floating around all day, not paying any attention to costumers, which is key to any business for it to succeed, moving chairs and paintings is what was more important to this establishment, not customer care... Money that folk dont have to spend on days like this was supposed to be a treat for us all a mini day break and it was more stressful, apart from the treatments we received from lovely staff the rest was crap... Food, Service and Customer Care bit of a JOKE....

I can t see myself going there every again for lunch or a spa or night stay... and they rest of the group also concur. They never informed us that the restaurant was going to be shut down that day... miscommunication between all staff.. very badly managed both Spa and Hotel. Choose wisely next time you decide to pick this Hotel. Plenty of other Hotels around who would be damn glad to have your business.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank DaFairy
Dear DaFairy,

Thank you indeed for taking the time to air your views regarding your recent visit to the Ice House.

I would like to extend my sincere personal apologies for what I can only describe as exceptionally poor attention to detail on our part. This was indeed very much a once off situation which we have learnt from and has cost us dearly.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience we caused. I do genuinely wish that we will see you back at the Ice House and that you will experience a more pleasant day upon your return,

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Not up to standard ,this is my second visit to this hotel first visit very good thus return was very let down by this experience even went to the bother of writing to the manager and got a not very apologetic reply he just said we will put measures into place to improve services so admit poor quality but failed to understand that we had paid for luxury accommodation and did not receive this service,won't be back plenty of other quality hotels in Ireland who deserve my hard earned cash.
Room not ready on arrival along with other guests,room not cleaned properly,noise going onto the early hours,no air conditioning in rooms,no lift to the part of the hotel we were put up in,staff were very good,this was the only good part of our stay,even had to ask for towels,sugar bathrobes the list goes on.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Reviewer1818
Dear Reviewer1818

Once again please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience we caused.
Your comments as you know were discussed at length and measures taken in order to maintain the high quality level of service and attention to detail we strive to offer all our guests.

Hopefully after our private correspondence it will not be to long before you will be returning to us here at the Ice House for a more relaxing and enjoyable stay.

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

My wife and I had a very enjoyable 2 night stay recently .From the moment we arrived we felt very welcome by all the staff -they were so helpful in every way .The bedroom was spacious with a wonderful view of the river and wild life and what a comfortable bed .Our dinners both nights were excellent if a little expensive .We loved the relaxed athmosphere of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view