“Ice House.... Perfect name.”

The Ice House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Ballina
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Went to eat in Restaurant. Very poor parking facilities.
Was directed to a table on entrance. Lovely view from restaurant.
Waited ages for a waiter to attend us. She appeared to be very snobby. The room was ICE cold. I had to keep my jacket on.
We were have a menu which was very small. There was nothing my wife and I could actually order. We met friends there which were there before us and the complained of the same.
We had to leave again without ordering anything.
I think this is a restaurant that is aiming for a so called "upper" class of people which do not exist in 2013. The staff had this attitude and found it very difficult to even speak to us never mind greet us friendly. They should remember that they are probably on minimum wage or less!

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Mayoperson
ICEHOUSETEAM, General Manager at The Ice House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Mayoperson,

Thank for taking the time to air your views regarding your recent visit to the Ice House. Your comments have been taken on board and please except our sincer apologies for the inconvenience we caused. We value every customer that walks through our front door.

We have now been joined by Chef "Matt Fuller" from the "Citrone Restaurant - Fitzwilliam Hotel" Dublin, and already we have introduced a new "Spring / Summer collection" Bar Menu so hopefully it will not be to long before your return visit to the Ice House.

Ken and the Team at the Ice House

Write a ReviewReviews (1,357)

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed in The Ice House hotel after receiving a blue book voucher and decided it to use it to stay on Easter Sunday night. When we arrived we were greeted with a glass of "bubbly" and asked to take a seat in th Lounge area while our room was prepared. When the room was ready we were shown to it and everything was explained very nicely! The view from the room was really nice and as the day was lovely we had a great view over the river moy. However there was a few little things that seems strange for a hotel charging the prices it is...1) No milk in the room for tea/coffee, you have to ring reception and they'll bring the milk to you 2) The window sills were pretty grotty with kind of black mold on them 3) There was two leather seats in the room and one had a big tear down the middle with the fluff coming out. We just thought it was a bit shotty considering we'd paid €180 for the room.

We had dinner in the restaurant, which Im afraid to say lacked much atmosphere, even considering it was an Easter Sunday. We were looking for something small but they could only offer us a Sunday lunch menu, they said that the bar menu was not on that day. Which was a bit wierd as the family to our left were dining from the bar menu!! There are plenty of spots to eat in Ballina and Im just sorry we didnt go into town instead for lunch.

As a hotel I think its nice but a little cold, there is nothing too warming or welcoming about it. We've stayed in some nicer places at home and in the uk for a fraction of the price. We stopped off in Mount Falcon on the way home and they have fabulous grounds. We just had tea and they gave us some yummi biscuits but the staff were very attentive and the house itself seemed lovely. We didnt see any of the rooms but the grounds are worth a visit!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DublinLass26

Dear DublinLass26

Our sincere thanks for taking the time to air your views regarding your recent visit to the Ice House. Your constructive comments are indeed very welcomed and I sincerely apologies for the inconvenience we caused you during your stay.

I am delighted therefor to announce that we have now been joined by Chef "Matt Fuller" from the "Citrone Restaurant - Fitzwilliam Hotel" Dublin.

Already he has introduced his new "Spring / Summer collection" for our Bar Menu.

So hopefully it will not be to long before your return visit to Ballina.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Had a hen party here at the weekend. There were 15 of us and we had our own private room which we were able to decorate to our liking. We got a great package deal which included a three course meal and two cocktails The cocktails were to die for and the food amazing. The staff and service we couldn't fault either. All in all we had an excellent evening in the ice house and being a local group of people our experience made us feel like we weren't even in our home town,! I would highly recommend a visit even if its just for one of the tasty cocktails!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lorraine B

Dear Lorraine B,

Our sincere thanks for taking the time to air your views regarding your recent visit to the Ice House; they are very much appreciated by everyone here at the Hotel.

It goes without saying that our Team also thoroughly enjoyed looking after "The Girls" and I am delighted that everyone enjoyed themselves and we were a part of your memorable night.

We have now been joined by Chef "Matt Fuller" from the "Citrone Restaurant - Fitzwilliam Hotel" Dublin.

So hopefully it will not be to long before your return visit to the Ice House and of course a taste of one of Leo's magical "Cocktails"!!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband found The Icehouse in Ireland's Blue Book (slowly working through it) and booked it directly with them for my birthday treat over the Easter weekend. It was lovely to arrive into the room and realise that the reception staff had taken notice of his email saying it was for my birthday and they had left a birthday card and two gorgeous pieces of tiramisu on a decorated plate for me. Having read the reviews he had tried to book the riverside or heritage suites but they were all already booked but we were shown to the Claret room which was absolutely fine with a superb view of the River Moy from a wooden balcony. The bed was really comfy, I described it as like sleeping on a cloud really soft, puffy duvet ..gorgeous.
The restaurant maitre d's were excellent all weekend, very attentive without overcrowding us and everything we asked for, was no bother at all. An evening meal was included in the weekend package and the menu was top class but for a heathen like me .. no chicken dish...The chef was great however and made me a gorgeous chicken dish and even sent out complimentary purple carrot, beetroot and honey soup which was out of this world...so many thanks to him/her for being so understanding...I even tried my husband's stuffed quail starter which was delicious so my tastes are expanding.
The bar menu was expansive and I enjoyed the carpe diem cocktail particularly while my husband devoured Guinness and whiskey sours.
I had a lovely back massage in the spa on saturday afternoon. I had to fight the sleep when it was over to get up and make my way back to the bar to an equally as chilled hubby and guess what...yes ...a pint of Guinness. It was so easy to sit over a drink and relax and watch the ducks and cranes out on the river and the lovely thing about it was that the vibe of the place was so chilled,it just felt really comfortable to sit there and forget about normal life. It would have been nice to sit outside on the balcony area outside the restaurant but it was too cold but thats something we definitely intend to do again in the summer.
I know people will read this review and think I am raving about the place and it can't be this good but it really, really is. The management have got it just right in that all guests are treated equally well whether they are in jeans or suits, young or old...well...you can't tell these days who has money and who hasn't. Its refreshing to go somewhere and not feel judged by some of the staff, as happens in many places which profess to be upmarket. Its happened to me loads of times and Ive never gone back to these hotels or recommended them to anybody. There is nothing as off-putting and narrow minded as being made to feel that you aren't worthy of being in a place. The Icehouse has got everything right in my opinion and I couldnt fault one thing, which is amazing for me. Its quirky, chic and cool with a great attitude. We'll definitely be back with friends !

Room Tip: Ask for first floor as public walkway past lower level.
1  Thank finnsaunders

Dear finnsaunders,

I am particularly pleased by how much you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

We have now been joined by Chef "Matt Fuller" from the "Citron Restaurant - Fitzwilliam Hotel" Dublin, as we embark on another wonderful food excursion.

Hopefully it will not be to long before your return visit to Ballina.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Myself and my husband and three children had the most beautiful meal in The Ice House today! I truly could not fault it! From the minute we arrived we were looked after! Because of it being Easter Sunday they really made a special effort for the children with an Easter egg hunt and a beautiful chocolate fountain with all sorts of goodies for the children and Adults ( yummy) Absolutely fabulous, stunning location! We are local to Ballina so we have never needed to stay over but I have used the spa a lot in the past and could not fault any of the therapists. We as a family have had the loveliest Easter Sunday! Lovely and relaxed, had a lovely booth area ,lovely food and service, there was no rushing us out the door. It was just lovely! A very special family day thanks to the ice house.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear holidaylover75

Indeed we all felt like kids on Easter Sunday sampling all that chocolate!!!

We have now been joined by Chef "Matt Fuller" from the "Citrone-Fitzwilliam Hotel" Dublin.

Hopefully it will not be to long before your return visit to us and to sample his new "Spring/Summer Collection" Bar Menu.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Just returned home from a two night stay which our daughters purchased as a gift. Prior to going we looked at the website and thought we were in for a real treat. When we arrived we were greeted with a glass of bubbly by friendly reception staff which was a lovely start. Sadly after that it went down hill. Our room was nice & we had booked in the restaurant for our evening meal for both nights. At 45 euros per person for a three course meal which came with a complimentry bottle of wine we felt was a little expensive but though why not. However, the food failed to match the price and we decided not to bother with a desert and as a result because we had not ordered a three course meal we ended up having to pay for the bottle of wine at a cost of 25 euro's. So a poor two course meal for two cost us 95 euro's !! We booked a treatment each in the spa, however my treatment left me a little disappointed because the 'Body Banquet' which included a full body exfoliation only covered my legs, arms & back & my pedicure left alot to be desired as mentioned in previous reviews. When we returned to our room at 1.30pm our room had not been cleaned. We mentioned this to reception & they said they would sort it Due to our disappointment with our meal the previous night we decided to eat out at a local restaurant which was a much better experience. Our breakfast the next morning was a joke. We had to ask someone for a pot of tea & we were never asked or approached to see if we would like a cooked breakfast. So sadly our two day break turned out to be a very expensive disappointment. Also can I note I have never ever written a review before but felt so let down especially when someone had gone to alot of trouble to book it as a gift.

2  Thank Pat80_24
ICEHOUSETEAM, General Manager at The Ice House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear Pat80_24,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience we caused.
Your very constructive comments were discussed at length and measures taken in order to maintain the high quality level of service and attention to detail we strive to offer all our guests.

However I fully accept that this did not happen on this occasion This is not acceptable and for that I am truly sorry.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Came here for dinner and really wish we had been able to stay here instead of Mount Falcon (unfortunately we left it too late to book). The food was absolutely fabulous and there was just the right mix of the familiar and the exotic. The dessert menu was a little disappointing (mostly ice-cream) but to be honest we were too full anyway.

The atmosphere was nice and relaxed and the hotel from what we saw was quirky and interesting with an unusual mix of old and new. Would definitely stay here if we returned to Ballina especially as it is walking distance to the town.

The only thing I didn't like was that all the tables faced out the window - I'm sure it's lovely when it's not pitch black outside but personally I'd prefer to face the room or my other half rather than a dark pain of glass!!!

1  Thank v0nsie

Dear v0nsie,

I am especially delighted to read your comments regarding our Restaurant. You will be delighted to hear that we are embarking on a refurb for the Restaurant and are very excited about the outcome. Your very constructive comments on our layout is very much noted and will be addressed as part of our new look.

Hopefully it will not be to long before your return visit to Ballina as the Journey will be worth it.

Ken and the Team at the Ice House

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballina
Mount Falcon Estate
Twin Trees Hotel
#5 of 9 in Ballina
24 mi away
Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel

Been to The Ice House Hotel? Share your experiences!